what can I do with my old Airtronics rxtx?

Hasersys

I have an older airtronics Vanguard. I also have a airtronics dual conversion 92765/72 receiver narrow band.. Not sure what to do with them. I just got it out of storage. I had been using it on my ugly stick years ago. Not sure if it is trash or not.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
With 2.4 as cheap as it can be, I'd never buy even a used crystal based receiver and transmitter.
But as cheap as I am, I'm sure I'd find a use for it if I had one laying around.
Would be great for an Alula
or a trainer priject
or a combat drone ;)

Hasersys

I wouldn't mind using it, but not sure how I would power it.. I would like to run a lipo on that rx, but not sure how to go about hooking up a receiver like this to a lipo. I still have an o.s .40, but would like to stay away from gas for a while. Not to into it anymore. What are the restrictions on 72hz, and why? Also, would using a lipo on the old rx be doable, and how? I could always convert it to 2.4 I guess.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I'm not aware of any restrictions on 72 at all
If you fly at a club field you will likely need to post your channel to avoid conflits

I don't think your receiver cares anything about the chemistry of your battery...
I'm not familiar with FM at all but my guess is you'll just plug the throttle lead from your esc in if your are flying electric or the receiver battery lead in if you are flying gas...

Use it if you can, but if you are committed to getting back into the hobby and want more than one plane you will probably be best served by getting a programmable digital radio with the ability to save several models.
DX6i
Turnigy9x
both good entry level 2.4 radios

Hasersys

I have a 2.4g radio already, I am just wondering how to go about connecting an lipo to the rx. I could be mistaken, but arent the older rx 6v? My Esc, are ubec 5v. Can I still use them. I have since gotten away from gas. I have been flying electric now for a while.

Hasersys

Heh my office, not sure if the link will work. Besides the ugly stick, the rest are scratch builds. Only the cub is flying at the moment.
377507_488455174520165_140302527_n.jpg

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I am powering my SPEKTRUM and ORANGE directly with 2 cell lipo and also with mix of older servos i have not had any problems at all.
I am not that convinced that your old rx would like 8.4 volts into it ....
I would try to use 2 power diodes in series to get down the voltage to round 7 volts - that is what to expect from an old 5 cell Nixx rx battery when freshly charged.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I was wondering if I could do some thing like that. I am just not sure how to hook all of this up.
I am sorry that i cant help you. Florida is a little to far away. Is there still Radio Shack where you can buy diodes, or is it just another company selling mobil phones? (Model: 276-1141 | Catalog #: 276-1141)
You need diodes capable of at least 2 amps to a normal 4 or 5 ch trainer.
You need connectors between your battery and receiver (adapter cable). I normally use a cut off cable from an old servo as a battery cable.
You need someone to solder the cable including a diode (correct direction) on the plus and minus cable - protected with shrink tube.

And You can of course connect you Esc to the old rx without any problems. The old rx will work fine with 4 -7 volts. The 5 v ubec is perfect.

Last edited:

Hasersys

I have every thing to do so, but the Diodes, which I can get at RadioShack. I am just a bit confused, when I connect my 5v ubec to the rx, nothing happens. I will tinker with it a bit more to see if I can get anything. Thanks alot for the info.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Can you measure that you get 5 volt from the ubec? Input voltage to the ubec should probably be higher than 6 volts.
Are you connecting plus and minus correct to the RX - any channel on the rx is fine to connect.
Are there any led or something to indicate power on? on the ubec and the rx?

Hasersys

Yes, the esc works. I have about 4 30amp esc, and I use them in various projects. I can turn the tx/rx on with the old batterys they have with them and move the servos around, but I cannot seem to connect the esc/motors up. not sure how to go about this.