Help! What charger should I get?

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Hi,

I just got a FT mini guinea and a FT mini mustang(well, I didn't buy the planes, a friend on the forum sent them to me, Thanks mactek!!) with 2 power packs and some 3s batteries. All I have left is to buy a charger. I would like something to just get me started and pretty cheap. Any suggestions?

Thanks

d8veh

Elite member
The iMax B3 is just about the cheapest and most convenient charger for the sort of batteries we use for Flitetest planes. It doesn’t need a separate power supply and there are no complicated settings to get wrong, plus it charges through the balance leads, so only one connector and it balances each cell directly without needing to go through that annoying iterative balancing procedure of the B6. Basically, it's a simple plug and play charger.

Reactions: FDS

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
The iMax B3 is just about the cheapest and most convenient charger for the sort of batteries we use for Flitetest planes. It doesn’t need a separate power supply and there are no complicated settings to get wrong, plus it charges through the balance leads, so only one connector and it balances each cell directly without needing to go through that annoying iterative balancing procedure of the B6. Basically, it's a simple plug and play charger.

Thanks for the info.

If I got that one, Would I just have to get a new charger when I move up to 4S batteries?

d8veh

Elite member
Thanks for the info.

If I got that one, Would I just have to get a new charger when I move up to 4S batteries?
They're so cheap that it's worth having one anyway because you might have more than one plane, so several different batteries to charge. Having more thanone charger will speed things up.

I've just seen this one that looks good for the money. I ordered one to review because it's cheap enough:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOTRC-A4...3d7879a04e:g:-ocAAOSwhwlb2Dn3&redirect=mobile

If you think that you'll be using a range of batteries from very small to fairly large, a programmable charger may be better, but then you get more inconvenience because you have to set up the program, make more connections and normally provide a separate power supply.

The only way to avoid a fake B6 is to buy from a reputable source, like Hobbyking. Any that you buy from China or Ebay are likely to be fakes. I bought four of them of which three are fakes.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I heard that there is a fake one of those, how can I tell if I am getting the real one, or is there not a difference?
I always buy the cheapest one I can find. I’m sure I have the knock-off. They are cheap enough that I use 8 of them. If one goes bad I just replace it. I have a 30A power supply which has no problem supplying all of my chargers. I charge 8 batteries at one time, I don’t like waiting. I have tried parallel charging & don’t like it. If one balance pin from one battery doesn’t connect, that cell will not balance. It will either overcharge or undercharge.

For me the IMAX B6 is cheap enough I can buy enough of them to change all my batteries with its own charger.

d8veh

Elite member
My genuine iMax works OK. Out of three fakes, two misreport the voltages by a few tenths, and two of the three don't balance very well. They get stuck in that iterative loop at the end of the charge cycle where they attempt to balance, but if the balance is more than a few tenths, the algorithm doesn’t seem to get them any closer, so they time-out without finishingthe balance. The chargers that charge throughthe balance leads don't go through that iterative process because they charge the individual cells directly instead of in bulk. That makes them do a faster and more accurate balance. My favourite charger is the BC168, but they're relatively expensive and still need a separate power supply.

kdobson83

My I suggest not getting a cheap charger? If you plan on expanding your hobby a bit you'll want a better charger. Why not just get a better one now? Plus, the better/more expensive chargers are sellable if you want out of the hobby. Good luck selling the cheapo chargers. I have a imax b6 but the venom duo is what I'm upgrading too. I wish the venom duo was around when I got my imax... Here a link to one on the FliteTest store. https://store.flitetest.com/venom-power-pro-duo-ac-dc-battery-charger-6s-7a-80w-vnr0685/p468689

You can get it cheaper on eBay but buying from FliteTest you get customer service and you support our community.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
My I suggest not getting a cheap charger? If you plan on expanding your hobby a bit you'll want a better charger. Why not just get a better one now? Plus, the better/more expensive chargers are sellable if you want out of the hobby. Good luck selling the cheapo chargers. I have a imax b6 but the venom duo is what I'm upgrading too. I wish the venom duo was around when I got my imax... Here a link to one on the FliteTest store. https://store.flitetest.com/venom-power-pro-duo-ac-dc-battery-charger-6s-7a-80w-vnr0685/p468689

You can get it cheaper on eBay but buying from FliteTest you get customer service and you support our community.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents.

That is good information.

The reason why I don't want to get a good one is because I just spent $80 on all the electronics for the mini mustang, I don't really want to to spend another $80-$100 on a charger.

Antioch

Thanks for asking the question... I am in the same boat.... I wanted to pick something out of the store ...was looking at the EcoPower Electron 44 AC.... any opinions?

Just not too keen on starting any fires...or Getting confused with too many buttons.

Thanks