What charger?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use an IMAX B6 for all of my LiPo and NiMH batteries I just keep the charge current to one tenth of the capacity so on a 850mah battery I would charge at 800mA.

Just what has worked for me for the last 3 years!

Have fun!

Flight_RN_Bryan

I use an IMAX B6 for all of my LiPo and NiMH batteries I just keep the charge current to one tenth of the capacity so on a 850mah battery I would charge at 800mA.

Just what has worked for me for the last 3 years!

Have fun!
That charge just a single? How long does it take?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor

Are you looking for something that will charge multiples?

Do you need something that can run off 12-18Volt DC (like a car battery) or is this just for charging from the mains?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you think you will every need a charger that can handle larger or smaller capacity batteries?

DamoRC

Flight_RN_Bryan

Are you looking for something that will charge multiples?

Do you need something that can run off 12-18Volt DC (like a car battery) or is this just for charging from the mains?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you think you will every need a charger that can handle larger or smaller capacity batteries?

DamoRC

I am brand new so just gathering info and equipment to get started. I don’t necessarily need to be portable right now just have a bank of batteries to get a good period of flying in relatively close to home. That battery size is what will be going in my first wing but also plan to get into fpv and quads with at least 1 indoor mico

w1lp33

Look at isdt chargers. They're all reasonably priced, can be powered from a big battery with an xt60 plug, and they have a few thst are small and portable and great for field charging.

I'm thinking of the ISDT Q6 line in particular, but I have their older sc608 and its awesome.

Flight_RN_Bryan

Look at isdt chargers. They're all reasonably priced, can be powered from a big battery with an xt60 plug, and they have a few thst are small and portable and great for field charging.

I'm thinking of the ISDT Q6 line in particular, but I have their older sc608 and its awesome.
Thanks. Does everyone use a parallel board? Suggestions on them?

w1lp33

I used a parallel board more with my quads, my various planes all have different size/types of batteries. Even with my quads I don't parallel that often. I just don't got that many batteries.

If you're gonna parallel charge, be safe and pay attention to what you're doing, and thst all the batteries are within a safe voltage range of each other. But it depends on how many batteries you have if it's worth it bothering with it...

As for power supply, I got a cheap server power supply off ebay for like $20 and modded it to have an xt60 plug come off it. There are various articles/videos out there on how to do it. Isdt also sells a power supply for their chargers, but the server PSU route is definitely a lot cheaper.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Parallel boards are awesome, but they need some extra safety precautions. You need to check the voltage of every battery, and only connect them to the board if they are within 0.1V per cell. The batteries will equalize, and very quickly as there is not much to limit the current. So if they are very unbalanced there is a risk of damaging the battery and a fire. I usually only parallel charge from storage (3.8v/cell) and get them to storage individually after discharging. This usually goes very quick, and batteries are always happiest at storage charge.

w1lp33

The other nice thing about the isdt is using it for field charging. I have a 10,000mah 6s battery I got on sale they lives in my flight bag... Rather than owning dozens of batteries, I have a few and I charge em up at the field if I run out :)

Tomorrow I can take some pics of my. PSU, parallel and field charging setups of you'd like.

Bricks

Master member
How long do you want to wait to charge a battery, 15 minutes or an hour? Using parallel boards which I always use being as I charge 6 batteries at a time they do not have to be that close in voltage to each other as long as you hook the main leads up first and not the balance leads it is no big deal. But using boards you want a charger that will put out some oomph other wise it will take all day to charge them. I have a 2 bank charger each bank is 500 watts and 30 amps, I can set it to run a 1,000 watts thru one side. I usually charge at 3C 6 2200 3S batteries starting at 30% charge I can charge in approximately 20 minutes using a balance charge less if not using the balancer.

It comes down to what you want to charge and how much time you want to take to do it.

Flight_RN_Bryan

Anyone have the hitech x2 black charger? It has a 10amp internal battery which seems like a great option for the money...actually less than most batteries alone that size.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am rather paranoid about the possibility of a lipo fire so I only ever charge a single battery at a time.

Normally the battery will take an hour or less to charge if fully discharged, (3.4 volts). At about 15 minutes per flight and 1 hour to charge I can fly for a few hours in a day and have them all recharged between when I get home and the next day, (a flying day)!

Have fun!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Thanks. Any suggestions for ac power supplies for chargers without an internal one?

As @w1lp33 mentioned, computer power supplies can be modified to work, and work well for a fairly low cost. You can also get something cheap like this one, just make sure that it's power output is in excess of your charger. I like to de-rate cheapo PSU's like this to around 80%.