What complaints have you guys gotten over the years?

voyhager3

I was out flying my versa the other day (first successful flight!) and apparently some persons dog wasn’t having it with the plane. So they came up to me and told me to keep it down and not fly over their house ( I really wasn’t over their house, but high enough up where it looked like that). So that made me want to start this thread, so what complaints have you gotten against your flying?

tamuct01

My nearby park allows electric (no glow/gas) RC flight, but does not allow the dreaded "drones." I found this out when speaking with the park director, and I didn't want to get into a technical battle at that particular moment. Anyway, one day I was flying my Viggen over the center area of the park (about a football field size) that's surrounded by a road and parking lots with soccer fields across the parking lot. I had run a few packs through the Viggen when on my last flight I heard a vehicle drive up behind me and a person get out. As I landed and went to retrieve the Viggen I heard the gentleman behind me say, "Sir, could you cover over here for a moment?" I turned around and it was one of our county sheriffs.

My sphincter tightened a bit, but I approached the officer as directed. He explained that someone (a Karen?) across the field and in the parking lot was concerned that my Viggen was flying over their cars and presenting a danger. He didn't believe them but had a duty to respond anyway. He saw the last few minutes of my flight and confirmed that I wasn't doing anything crazy, so we walked over to the plane and I showed it to him. Satisfied that it couldn't really hurt anything, our conversation went to RC aircraft in general, drone search and recovery (AirBears!), etc. He seemed stoked by the technology and the fact that we could build impressive little aircraft out of DTFB.

I haven't heard from the sheriff again, and I still fly occasionally at the park when I can get a clear field to operate out of. Usually, just having something out there attracts the attention of little boys and their parents and offers me the opportunity to explain how RC flight works, how much fun it is, and how easy it is to get into now thanks to folks like Flite Test.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Usually, just having something out there attracts the attention of little boys and their parents and offers me the opportunity to explain how RC flight works, how much fun it is, and how easy it is to get into now thanks to folks like Flite Test.
That's probably my favorite part about flying at parks. I rarely get any bad comments, but often get good ones.
Before filming the video for my bush plane durability thing this year, a boy and his mom came over and talked to my dad and I because he thought the plane was really cool. He was about the age I was when I started flying, and we got to tell him about a bunch of resources and a good place with friendly people to go and fly if he ever got an airplane.
His mom seemed really on board with the whole thing and the kid looked like he loved planes (not just an airplane phase or anything).
I hope to see that kid around at the flying field someday.

Sorry for the thread jacking. I guess I should share a moment that fits the thread.
Before I filmed the durability challenge thing for last year, some dude got mad at me and said he would call the police if I continued to fly. The rules at that school (school was out and I was flying over the small, but clear part of the field) said that "model planes" (among many other things) were not allowed, but I once flew at a nearby school with the same rules in clear view of a cop, who didn't care. As a matter of fact, she said that we couldn't bring our dogs in, but didn't say anything about the plane. The rules are more of a guideline, and tbh nobody follows them. I have seen dogs, skateboarders, plane flyers, and model rockets there, and none of those things are "allowed". Still though, my dad and I left the school because we didn't think that bad publicity for the hobby was a good thing. We went to the school pretty much next door and finished the challenge lol.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That's probably my favorite part about flying at parks. I rarely get any bad comments, but often get good ones.
Before filming the video for my bush plane durability thing this year, a boy and his mom came over and talked to my dad and I because he thought the plane was really cool. He was about the age I was when I started flying, and we got to tell him about a bunch of resources and a good place with friendly people to go and fly if he ever got an airplane.
His mom seemed really on board with the whole thing and the kid looked like he loved planes (not just an airplane phase or anything).
I hope to see that kid around at the flying field someday.

Sorry for the thread jacking. I guess I should share a moment that fits the thread.
Before I filmed the durability challenge thing for last year, some dude got mad at me and said he would call the police if I continued to fly. The rules at that school (school was out and I was flying over the small, but clear part of the field) said that "model planes" (among many other things) were not allowed, but I once flew at a nearby school with the same rules in clear view of a cop, who didn't care. As a matter of fact, she said that we couldn't bring our dogs in, but didn't say anything about the plane. The rules are more of a guideline, and tbh nobody follows them. I have seen dogs, skateboarders, plane flyers, and model rockets there, and none of those things are "allowed". Still though, my dad and I left the school because we didn't think that bad publicity for the hobby was a good thing. We went to the school pretty much next door and finished the challenge lol.
Lots of "Karens" and "Kevins" these days... 🤦‍♂️🙄

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Nothing but good comments at the county parks I fly at.

I think that is actually one of the values of flying in public spaces - it gives visibility to the hobby. Some official agencies and their ilk may soon be enlisting “the public” to watch for “suspicious drone activity” as part of the nanny-state - so we should be letting the public see us as normal people - not simply hidden away in clubs.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
When I was younger back when the drone hysteria was at a peak, I was flying a cheap quadcopter around my driveway and occasionally flew up and down the street when no cars were nearby. One of my neighbors was concerned about "a drone she though was spying on her family in her house," so I explained what was going on, and now they're fine with my doing rc stuff along the road.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Back when I first started to fly quads I had gotten a Walkera Runner 250 to learn on. There was an older lady that lived where I do that had some mental degradation issues. she would wander around the complex with an old and VERY worn shear night gown thing from like the 20's. the police had been called on her for an occasional mental check when she would show up trying to get into someone elses apartments while wearing that nighty and nothing else. Needless to say she had traumatized several other residents.

Any ways she called the police on me for spying in her windows with the runner 250 which I was flying the complete opposite direction from her apartment out over a cornfield. The police came and naturally had the auto attitude about my toy. When he walked over I showed him exactly what I was doing as I only had a 7 inch monitor for FPV at the time. When he saw how bad the picture was between the monitor and the crappy 1147 or what ever those early cameras were he had a good laugh. THEN the old lady came out in her nighty asking why I was not arrested for spying in her windows. The officer then turned attention to her for another mental health check and while that was going on I had managed to show her the tiny monitor and the picture and some how she understood even if I was standing AT her window holding the drone I couldn't see any thing anyways let alone from 100+ yeard away over the corn field. (Trust me NO ONE in their right mind would have even given doing that a thought)

Other then that it has been a handful of uninformed people which I talked with and showed them exactly what it was, how it worked, then took them for rides and they INSTANTLY got why we fly. I explained to them the difference between freestyle / race quads and real pilots vs the trouble makers using the vilified DJI phantoms causing ALL the problems for the hobby at the time.

The only real issue I had was one of those ghetto tough guys who are not smart enough to figure out life past the tip of their doobie. I was out doing race track practice with my faster quads and luckily was between packs when this knucklehead and his son walked right thru the center of the course that had a bunch of flags and gates up. Once they has cleared I put the quad in the air and got halfway around the course when they walked back into the middle of the track. Naturally I went high and brought the quad back to where I was sitting. They stood there for a moment or two and I finally asked them if they wanted to use the field. They said no that they only wanted to see the drone fly. So I was like well how about you come over with me so I know where you are and can not hit you. He instantly replied he was a grown ass man and he could go any where he wanted and that this was a public park.

At that point I wasn't going to keep shouting across the field so I walked over to them to have a conversation. He again started with the tough guy routine gettin all puffy in front of his son. So I merely asked him if they walked out on the middle of the field when a soccer or football game was going on and he said no. So I asked then why are you standing in the middle of the field that is OBVIOUSLY in use and put yourself AND your son in a position to potentially get injured. He looked at me again and said it was a public field and he could do what he wanted.

Realizing how dumb he truly was along with his attitude growing more intense and how nervous his son was getting I just figured it was better to just pack up and go home before someone got their obama care activated.

Phin G

Elite member
I normally get complaints that i am too young to be flying 5” race drones and FT planes. I have had encounters with police, rangers Karens and all that jazz.

I mainly get told of by me ‘spying’ on them however… my goggles dont have DVR and my drone doesn’t have a memory chip. Sooo I normally get away scott free.

Sometimes when i am flying planes, i get the inquisitive boy and father who ask my questions about the plane im flying or my fleet beside me. It happens every 3 flights probably so i put up signs saying dont talk to me when flying CAA registered and my flyer id. My pet hates is children asking id i can fly my planes. All of them are over 250g so I calmly say what is your flyer id and operator id number and may you present your license to me. They run off and there comes the dad. I land and taxi back the my pile of planes. It’s normally dad: why wont you let my son fly plane, me: if he has a registered license and if he has experience with these crafts then he can use them. Dad: you fly the where is your license. Give it to me or im calling the police. I recite my flyer id etc and he walks away defeated.

Edit: i also dont let people fly my scratch built planes as they are verg squirrely and most of the time have the ability to stall as soon as it takes of so some skill is needed to fly my planes

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I normally get complaints that i am too young to be flying 5” race drones and FT planes. I have had encounters with police, rangers Karens and all that jazz.

I mainly get told of by me ‘spying’ on them however… my goggles dont have DVR and my drone doesn’t have a memory chip. Sooo I normally get away scott free.

Sometimes when i am flying planes, i get the inquisitive boy and father who ask my questions about the plane im flying or my fleet beside me. It happens every 3 flights probably so i put up signs saying dont talk to me when flying CAA registered and my flyer id. My pet hates is children asking id i can fly my planes. All of them are over 250g so I calmly say what is your flyer id and operator id number and may you present your license to me. They run off and there comes the dad. I land and taxi back the my pile of planes. It’s normally dad: why wont you let my son fly plane, me: if he has a registered license and if he has experience with these crafts then he can use them. Dad: you fly the where is your license. Give it to me or im calling the police. I recite my flyer id etc and he walks away defeated.

Edit: i also dont let people fly my scratch built planes as they are verg squirrely and most of the time have the ability to stall as soon as it takes of so some skill is needed to fly my planes

I recorded EVEYTHING when I flew. Just in case the Karens might know someone important and have someone in power on their side. I ran into an issue when I first started flying because a guys nephew near where I fly was the police chief. He was telling stories I was doing this or that and when they showed up and wanted to be a problem I just played back the flights in question and told them to have a nice day. They haven't really bothered me since other then a mandatory visit when some uniformed people got them involved.

Sheriffs came to the park one day I was flying my big 5 inchers hard. The school across the street had lost their air conditioners so they had windows open. One of the teachers thought my quad was a girl in the park screaming so they called them hehe. I showed the Sheriff what I was doing and he was asking all kinds of stuff. In the end I swapped to a smaller quad for the rest of the day so I didn't disturb classes any further.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Oh the irony... people so worried about being "spied on" all the while carrying google around in their pocket. 🤦‍♂️

20207417_6_600_563.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Oh the irony... people so worried about being "spied on" all the while carrying google around in their pocket. 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 205114
yea and having 10 alexa's scattered around the house..
funny story.
my uncle was out having a run with a friend and he was talking about a subject that he had never heard of before (he has his phone in his pocket)
when he got back to his laptop..... all the ads that he got hit with were directly related to the topic they had been talking about......

*Me deleting, google assist*

tamuct01

Not really anyone's fault, but the word drone became synonymous with quadcopters about the time we were using real "drones" to fight a war. Bad optics all the way around. Not sure we'll ever shed that stigma completely.

Correct. That's why I never refer to any UAS as a "drone." It's a multi-rotor, a helicopter, an airplane, etc.

I have had kids just walk up and start handling whatever plane/quad that was next to me. I've also had them run out on the field to retrieve my belly landers. I guess no one teaches kids (and adults) any boundaries. Whatever happened to "don't mess with other people's stuff?"

Last edited: