What components should I buy so I can swap from F22 raptor to a wing at a later time?

Dresser.Rat

I'm new to the electric flying hobby and am looking for some direction. My son and I bought the F22 raptor kit and are now getting ready to buy the rest of the hardware to build it. At the bottom of the F22 description it has recommended motors, ECS, etc. My son and I are newbies and expect we will crash this at some time, but as we get better we will want to upgrade. I really wanted the Versa Wing, but Josh said it was not for beginners, so we settled on the F22. At some time We will build the flying wing, but I don't want to buy all new hardware. ( finally getting to my point)

First:
I really like the swappable idea, but I only want to buy one (motor / ECS / servos / battery / etc) What would be a good combination so We can upgrade at a future time, my Son can fly his F22, then when he out grows it, we move everything to the wing.

Second:
I am looking at the Fly Sky ct6b as a starter transmitter / receiver. Good, bad, ??? Cost is an issue with the wife right now, she likes we are doing it together, but......she asks, can you get this on eBay cheaper?

Thanks for any help.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
At the bottom of the build for the f 22 check out the recommended electronics then do the same for the versa wing and see if they are close and if so then get the one that is bigger and just throttle down for the other if nessesary.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
The FlySky CT6B is a good unit, but I would recommend the FlySky FS-T6 instead. I understand the cost is an issue, but if you plan to add more planes to your collection, you may want to consider investing a TX that can store multiple models. The T6 also adds the convenience of giving you the ability to do all of your programming directly from the TX instead of having to connect it to a computer whenever you need to make changes to your setup. Please also keep in mind that you won’t always find the best price on Ebay, so I encourage you to shop around. Here is a link to the T6. You can also find the CT6B there, so compare the price to what you found on Ebay. Either way, you won’t go wrong with FlySky. I have the CT6B, T6 and 9X, and they all work well.

CT6B: http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html
T6: http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Overpowered is better than underpowered. You can always use less throttle. Probably look for a motor that can handle the recommended prop size for the planes you want, or possibly a plane that can handle a bigger prop than what you would use. Electric motors can be under propped, but never over propped. That's how motors or ESCs burn out.

You can lose efficiency when over powering and/or under propping a plane/motor, but a few less minutes of flight times is better than having an unflyable plane.

If you're looking at Hobby King, the "electric motors":"Outrunners by size":"28-34mm" is a good place to look. I think those motors are about the right size for a plane with a 30" - 45" wingspan.

Bolvon72

Mentor
I have had great success with all of the FT planes using the Suppo 2208/14. It, with a 3S, can handle all of them very efficiently. I have recently tried the Turnigy 2822/14 1450kv and it is very comparable for about half the price. I use it with an 8x4 and an 18 amp esc. I have tried a lot of motors and this size is always the best contender.

I agree with Jaxx about avoiding the CT6B as you have to connect it to a computer to do anything. If you want to keep it cheap while still user friendly, http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16239__HobbyKing_HK6S_2_4Ghz_FHSS_6Ch_Tx_Rx_Mode_2_.html is not bad. You can set up the plane from the tx without a computer. Either way you do lose out on dual rates and model storing.

I like the Turnigy 9x if you have to balance money and features, though I use the 9xr as a personal preference. I have all of the above radios plus a couple of Spektrums and a Taranis, they all get the job done, in the end you can fly your plane with any of them so just balance cost with what you hope to get out of the hobby. No matter what, it'll be fun.

Desert.Rat

Thank you for all the great comments. I did look into the T6 and understand the benefits. Having not ever used a transmitter, I wanted to hear why one was better than the other and everyone was very clear, thanks. I think I will spend the extra money and get the better one, because I want to make this a long term hobby. I know how it is to get cheap equipment, then you wonder why everyone thinks it's so much fun. Been there done that.

I live at a higher elevation, soI think I will go for the larger motor and ECS. I do have one more question. Where do you find information on prop pitch and diameter vs rpm performance. Being an engineer I like to under stand how, along with the why. One of my old engineering prof told me. This is how You can tell who is a true engineer, he's the one who reads the instructions to find out why he broke it.

Last edited:

Parkflynz

I fly with a turnigy 9x transmitter and frsky DJT module. It will run 10 models and mix everything you could need for a years. Have had great trouble free running out of it. And it's well priced.
As for motor I use a NTM 28-26 1200kv motor with a 8x6 prop on my versa wing, baby blender and dusty. It gives great speed and power, pulls vertical on the wing no worries.
25 amp turnigy plush speed controller,
And a 2200 3cell battery.

Hope this helps