What Computer ??

baz.b

baz.b
Hi all,

Back to simulators again. This time, can someone recommend a computer to run the "Phoenix 5.5" simulator on, as I'm in the process of selling my iMac on, and buying a Windows based PC, so I need to buy one that can handle the simulator.

Liam B

Hi all,

Back to simulators again. This time, can someone recommend a computer to run the "Phoenix 5.5" simulator on, as I'm in the process of selling my iMac on, and buying a Windows based PC, so I need to buy one that can handle the simulator.

Two things your going to need: a processor that is faster than 2.4 ghz, and a good graphics card like an ATI Radian.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Get another MAC. You are going to absolutely loath a windows 10 pc. Switching from PC to MAC is a more enjoyable switch then going from MAC to Windows. It won't be long before windows goes full on hostage ware where everything is stored on their cloud with still forced updates and if you don't pay your yearly extortion fee they will keep your data and I am sure they will have a clause that makes it all their property anyways.

Namactual

Elite member
Ideally, you would keep your iMac and buy a PC as well. I know that might be out of financial reach, but both have their perks and flaws. One of the macs flaws of course is what you are running into now, the hardware is fairly weak when compared to a PC of the same price range.

The requirements for that particular sim seem to be quite low. I am sure you would have to turn the graphics options down, but depending on the year of your iMac you might just need to buy a retail copy of windows 10 and bootcamp it.

What year is your iMac?
(click on the top left "apple" symbol, then click "About This Mac")
e.g. iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2012)

If you really want to buy a PC, I can help advise. What is your price range? Would you feel comfortable building your own?

If you buy the "full retail" copy of windows 10 home, you could first try it on your mac using bootcamp (free) and see how the sim runs. If it does not run to your liking, you could build a PC and use that copy of windows so you would not be out anything. If you do not plan on building your own, you will have an extra copy of windows, and be out about $120 USD.

Liam B

Get another MAC. You are going to absolutely loath a windows 10 pc. Switching from PC to MAC is a more enjoyable switch then going from MAC to Windows. It won't be long before windows goes full on hostage ware where everything is stored on their cloud with still forced updates and if you don't pay your yearly extortion fee they will keep your data and I am sure they will have a clause that makes it all their property anyways.

100% agree. Love my Mac.

baz.b

baz.b
Hiya all,
Many thanks for the replies, very interesting. The update is, I have bought a PC (Windows) to run my simulator,but that's all. I still have my iMac. and as it's only about 18 months old. I've decided to keep it as it's a lovely piece of equipment.
I did actually install Windows 10 onto my iMac using Bootcamp, but wasn't completely happy, so uninstalled it and bought a PC. Time will tell eh.
I love this site.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I feel you. I have a Mac Mini that I use to run Liftoff (and it does pretty darned good, although I DID max out the memory on it), but I wouldn't give it up.

I also have a Windows 10 laptop that I haul around specifically to use for Betaflight tuning for my drone and another program that my father uses at the field (I don't remember what it is off the top of my head). That's it. It's a barebones minimum, cheap system that I think cost me $200? It doesn't have to be fancy, it doesn't have to be fast. It just has to WORK.

They both have their pros and cons, but I like my Mac more. That's just me. If this were a tech forum, I'd see all sorts of flame wars about which side is better, which is worse, etc...bottom line is, "Which works best for your NEEDS?" That's what you go with. :)