What cutting surface do you use

joelspangler

When cutting out your foamboard, what do you do it on? I've been using cardboard, but it gets ugly and uneven fairly quickly. I saw some "self healing" mats, but they generally only recommend the circle cutters like you'd use for fabric. What does everyone else use?

dayve

I open up a couple of cereal boxes and tape them together. It makes a "mat" big enough to cover most of my bench. It holds up pretty well. I just replace it after every couple builds since there are always cereal boxes in the recycling bin.

Keno

I use the self-healing mats you can by most sewing shops. FT has one also I believe it is a cardboard type material.

Reactions: FDS

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I use some old laminate floor boards which works nice and doesn't get cut up, but sourcing some might be hard.

Chappie66

I have used cardboard then MDF from local home depot which stands up pretty good now using self-healing matt.

FDS

Elite member
Another vote for self healing mat.
It doesn’t blunt the blades as fast as other options, foamboard and card blunt blades fast enough already without having the tip hit them on its way out!
Mine belonged to late father, so it has the double purpose of having him join me in every build!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use a piece of Coroplast, the stuff they make signs out of at the gas station. It's plastic and looks similar to cardboard. Mine is also ugly but it still works and will not dull the bade as quickly.

This is the exact mat I use. Love it!
Screenshot_20181211-150317_Chrome.jpg

Gazoo

I use Fiskars self healing mat. Got it at Walmart for about $30. It is large enough to put a sheet of dtfb on with a room to spare all around. Probably the best investment for this hobby so far for me.

Attachments

• 208216-4-1.jpg
    208216-4-1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I built an 8' x 4' table last year with two layers of thin plywood as the surface. After a few month of use I just take out the screws, flip the plywood over, and screw the clean surface back on.

Bricks

Master member
I use MDF once it gets bad enough I run a sander over it good as new. It is a little harder on blades but I use a stone and just sharpen them at least for an Exacto knife which I only use for curves, Other blades are so cheap I just throw or break them off.

joelspangler

Thanks everyone - the Fiskars brand one doesn't specifically prohibit use of exacto and utility knives like the products I was looking at on Amazon did. I'll probably pick one up from "the walmart" the next time I'm nearby. I'd go the MDF route, but I like the idea of using this indoors and not in my workshop which isn't heated/cooled.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks everyone - the Fiskars brand one doesn't specifically prohibit use of exacto and utility knives like the products I was looking at on Amazon did. I'll probably pick one up from "the walmart" the next time I'm nearby. I'd go the MDF route, but I like the idea of using this indoors and not in my workshop which isn't heated/cooled.

I'd also suggest looking at JoAnn Fabrics, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby as well. Joann Fabrics has had some AWESOME deals for things like 60% to 75% off right now, so if you can catch one of the mats on a coupon price, you can definitely save some $$$.

We did something similar with an Adtech Pro that was supposed to be something like, $40...My dad ended up getting it at around $14 due to coupons and a sale.

Dante

I usually just cut on a folding table I use for my plane building bench, as the bench in the garage is too rough and uneven for foamboard

JTarmstr

Elite member
I use a support sheet that arrived with a tv, its either particleboard or really dense cardboard, lasted me through 6 builds and still going strong.

donalson

self healing mat here... I started with some old plyboard I had but found it had a lot of drag while cutting and made for some ugly cuts... the self healing mat changed all that and made blades last much longer... I use one side for cutting and while working with glue I use the other side...

Brett_N

Self healing mat or plastic kitchen cutting board for small stuff, or just right on my cheap folding plastic table for full size sheets. I use a hot-knife though, which you CANNOT use on the self healing mats. The table doesn't care if it gets scratched up, and I have cases of #11 xacto blades anyway.