What did you crash today

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its been flying nicely for weeks. It had a good run on a 4s pack not 5 minutes prior. All I did was plug a 5s pack in and it went sizzle, sizzle poof in less then a second.

I been flying it on 5s since birth and its meant to handle 6s.

d8veh

Elite member
Its been flying nicely for weeks. It had a good run on a 4s pack not 5 minutes prior. All I did was plug a 5s pack in and it went sizzle, sizzle poof in less then a second.

If the motor fizzed and burnt without giving any throttle, it was because a MOSFET in the ESC went open circuit, in which case don't try and use that ESC again because it will connect that phase directly to the battery without any regulation as soon as you connect the battery.

If it burned when you opened the throttle, it's most likely caused by a faulty phase wire connection.. It's nothing to do with the battery. If it were, all coils would be burnt.

As well as a phase wire, it can also be a MOSFET in the ESC blown, so you would only get power to one phase. With either of those faults, it's no problem as long as you don't hold the throttle open. With any electric motor, if it doesn't run or doesn't run properly, you must never give it full throttle because it gives full current to any phases that are connected, but it needs all three phases to turn the motor. If the motor can't turn, all the power will turn to heat instead of motion. As I said before, it's the same as holding the propeller still while you give it full power.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

That sucks big time. :(

If the motor fizzed and burnt without giving any throttle, it was because a MOSFET in the ESC went open circuit, in which case don't try and use that ESC again because it will connect that phase directly to the battery without any regulation as soon as you connect the battery.

If it burned when you opened the throttle, it's most likely caused by a faulty phase wire connection.. It's nothing to do with the battery. If it were, all coils would be burnt.

As well as a phase wire, it can also be a MOSFET in the ESC blown, so you would only get power to one phase. With either of those faults, it's no problem as long as you don't hold the throttle open. With any electric motor, if it doesn't run or doesn't run properly, you must never give it full throttle because it gives full current to any phases that are connected, but it needs all three phases to turn the motor. If the motor can't turn, all the power will turn to heat instead of motion. As I said before, it's the same as holding the propeller still while you give it full power.

That's some very handy debugging info - thanks for sharing!

kilroy07

Legendary member

If it burned when you opened the throttle, it's most likely caused by a faulty phase wire connection..

Great Info, Thanks!

So, if it is a wire connection are you referring to something along the lines of loose bullet connectors?
(That would explain a LOT of my earlier losses with the cheap Chinese gear...)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here is the flight on 4s just before it went poof. Nothing to say or show any sign of an issue that I can tell.

Ill start digging i to it tomorrow hopefully with eyes that at least attempt to focus. Low pressure fronts rolling thru today making normal activity problematic.

d8veh

Elite member
Great Info, Thanks!

So, if it is a wire connection are you referring to something along the lines of loose bullet connectors?
(That would explain a LOT of my earlier losses with the cheap Chinese gear...)
Yes. If you have a loose bullet connection, you'll get full power on one phase when you open the throttle, but the motor can't turn without the other phases, so all that power gets dumped in the coils of the connected phase.

d8veh

Elite member
Here is the flight on 4s just before it went poof. Nothing to say or show any sign of an issue that I can tell.

Ill start digging i to it tomorrow hopefully with eyes that at least attempt to focus. Low pressure fronts rolling thru today making normal activity problematic.

Start by checking the bullet connectors, Next, measure the resistance between each phase wire and the battery positive of the ESC, then do the same but to the negative. All 6 values should be a high resistance. If any are low or different to the others, a MOSFET has blown.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I never use bullet connectors on my quads. Everything gets hard wired.

I will do your checks as well as a few others under power with no motor wired in. Will probably unsolder the caps as well and see if they are still happy.

This will easily spike over 150 amps if I bounce off something with air mode on.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Was testing my Ft Viggen in low speed to familiarize myself with its controls (never flown a bank and yank before). Any way was cruising along and then I started to stall so I decided to throttle up to punch out of it and turn arround. Well I throttled up and pulled what I thought was my rudder, turns out it was ailerons. Then to compound my bad decision I tried to roll over an pull up in the process hitting a tree, the aircraft bounced off of the tree and went nose first into the ground. David was a genius when he built the collapsing nose on the Viggen, only damage is the wing popped out of the fuselage and the nose is destroyed, everything else is fine.

Flying Kiwi

Under carriage of my Scout got tangled in a wire fence .At speed . Bit of hot glue and she will be fine .
And now she looks secondhand .

Brett_N

lawn darted a 60" all balsa ~30 year old P51...... :cry::cry::cry:

(now I can rip the guts out and get the Tower Hobbies Slow Ride :) )

kilroy07

Legendary member
Well, my FPV days are at an end (at least until I get this repaired.)
IMG_7883[1].JPG
I just added the 4 channel wing and an A3-pro gryo to stabilize it.
(Raw video upload)
Tried launching with gryo on... first failure.
Gryo off, she's in the air...
Gryo on, rolls violently inverted. I recover (gryo off again...)
Then loose her in the sun as it gets behind me (nearly hitting a tree) I recover again...
Take her "three" mistakes high, turn gryo back on and she's in the dirt before I catch her... (musta needed four mistakes high!...) :rolleyes:

d8veh

Elite member
Did you test the gyro before launching? Did you make sure that the stabilisation was in the right direction on each channel?

kilroy07

Legendary member
Yes. It seemed to work just as advertised... I thought maybe on the way home I might have installed it pointing to the rear, but I went through the menu tonight and everything checked out.... (and the controls still seemed to be correct, raising the aileron in the direction of the roll...

One thing, I did not run through the leveling routine (but it came from my Simple Scout build, which did fly with the gryo active... Maybe that was enough to cause issues... :unsure:

Just starting to explore FPV and having a blast with it! :cry:

I also was playing around my kraken.... Low and slow.... (you know how this ends right...) no serious damage, but I busted my only matching pair of props (CW, CCW) I'll install the F405 over to it soon and hopefully get some decent weather...
Back into the 30s for at least the next week... :cautious:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
"What did you crash today?" Nothing. I actually wish I had crashed something. Count your blessings, my friends! I'll be with you soon.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well I didn't crash anything myself but one of the club newbies crashed one of my gifted creations, (for the second time!). After building a new fuselage and tail after the first crash I let him set it up and sort it out. it all seemed perfect. He seems to have got it sorted, or so I thought!

All of the servos worked properly and the deflections were fine. Tx settings were ideal and so I offered to hand launch it for him. It launched perfectly level, (not even a wobble), and he commenced a straight and gradual climb. All was going fantastic. I left him to it and turned round and returned to the pit area. As I arrived in the pit area I turned around only to see the plane do a power on nose dive from about 30 metres up and impact severely! The whole front of the fuselage was destroyed yet again and the motor was driven back through the firewall. The cowl was a twisted mess! What happened?

It did not take too much investigation:rolleyes:. Apparently he had experienced some difficulty in fitting the screws which secure the output arms onto the servos so he made the decision to not fit the screws at allo_O. The crash was caused by the output arms on the elevator servo departing the servo and the plane without any elevator control just put its nose down and headed to the earth!

After a series of admonishments by various club members for such blatant lunacy he though about a little and then grabbed one of his other planes and flew it. Only after a couple of further flights I noticed that it to had the same screws missing:eek:!!

You can give all the advice in the world but if they don't listen?:unsure:

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well I didn't crash anything myself but one of the club newbies crashed one of my gifted creations, (for the second time!). After building a new fuselage and tail after the first crash I let him set it up and sort it out. it all seemed perfect. He seems to have got it sorted, or so I thought!

All of the servos worked properly and the deflections were fine. Tx settings were ideal and so I offered to hand launch it for him. It launched perfectly level, (not even a wobble), and he commenced a straight and gradual climb. All was going fantastic. I left him to it and turned round and returned to the pit area. As I arrived in the pit area I turned around only to see the plane do a power on nose dive from about 30 metres up and impact severely! The whole front of the fuselage was destroyed yet again and the motor was driven back through the firewall. The cowl was a twisted mess! What happened?

It did not take too much investigation:rolleyes:. Apparently he had experienced some difficulty in fitting the screws which secure the output arms onto the servos so he made the decision to not fit the screws at allo_O. The crash was caused by the output arms on the elevator servo departing the servo and the plane without any elevator control just put its nose down and headed to the earth!

After a series of admonishments by various club members for such blatant lunacy he though about a little and then grabbed one of his other planes and flew it. Only after a couple of further flights I noticed that it to had the same screws missing:eek:!!

You can give all the advice in the world but if they don't listen?:unsure:

Have fun!
Please tell me that person was either a head-strong teenager or a six-year old. From experience I've learned that those two ages basically coalesce mentally. The difference is the six-year old usually does more damage to less expensive stuff than the head-strong teenager. Who tends to do less damage to more expensive stuff. The damage is unavoidable.

I love you mate! Keep in mind: The Journey Continues.

Have Fun.

That's just what works for me.

:eek::p:unsure::cool:

Classic use of another's quotes. Classic use of stupid emoji's to signify implied meaning of things not written. Hai-Lee, you're going to have a hard time topping this one. Yeah. Destress. Both of us. I'm not going to talk about my day, since it has nothing to do with flying planes. But we are both here, trying to destress.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Please tell me that person was either a head-strong teenager or a six-year old. From experience I've learned that those two ages basically coalesce mentally. The difference is the six-year old usually does more damage to less expensive stuff than the head-strong teenager.

I love you mate! Keep in mind: The Journey Continues.

Have Fun.

That's just what works for me.

:eek::p:unsure::cool:

Classic use of another's quotes. Classic use of stupid emoji's to signify implied meaning of things not written. Hai-Lee, you're going to have a hard time topping this one. Yeah. Destress. Both of us. I'm not going to talk about my day, since it has nothing to do with flying planes. But we are both here, trying to destress.
You were spot on with your first guess! To make matters even worse he had his mum at the field so he could show her how good he was:rolleyes:. The only real stress factor was that I am the sole global supplier of both designs! The crashed unit was a simple build just an hour or two to build BUT the second plane is a warbird trainer with symmetrical airfoil which actually takes about a full day to make properly! A serious crash means I have to build another!

Anyway I am in the middle of a secret project and doing the initial draft wing build so I suppose I should get back to it before I fall asleep!

Have fun!