What did you crash today

Tjhochha

I flew my FT Cub at my parents house over Thanksgiving. The flight in the day went alright, it's pretty tight at their house, there's a lot of large trees. My night flights were not so great. There is only one direction to land in their yard and there's no option to go around for a second try. there's a nice clear opening 100yards long but it has a bank of 20' trees at the end of it. my first flight, I wasn't able to get to the ground in time and piled into the trees at the end of the "runway". the damage was pretty minor, it just took a small chunk the size of a quarter out of the leading edge. The second flight was going well, I was on my last loop and coming around for a landing and went around one of the large trees in the neighbors yard, misjudged the distance to the other large tree in the neighbors yard and crashed into the very top of the tree where it stuck. I jumped in my truck to run to my office to grab our 40' lineman hotstick to knock it out and my cousin called saying our other cousin climbed the tree and got it out. luckily no damage on that flight, just some broken rubber bands.

Keno

Crash, we don't crash we have hard landings. But there are trees and other upright structures having an apatite for flying objects. Fences, power lines and etc., can impede a landing approach. Then there is oops, that was a dumb mistake or "finger fumble". Equipment failure has a place and has to be examined, corrected as not the cause of any future demises. Learning is a ---------- and I leave it at that. Happy flying

Robyle3

So, a few days ago, im flying my secondhand umx Cessna in my front yard ( 1 acre dotted with tall bushes and bordered by 30’ trees). Normally fine as long as im above the trees to avoid the downdrafts. Got lazy on thr throttle and planted myself in the VERY TOP (ie the flimsiest section) of three trees. Definitely got a workout that day (i dont have any recovery stick).
But cudos to the cessna, just some cosmetic damage to the foam, amazing little plane.

.... and then three days later rogue crosswind flipped me over and dove nose-first into thr ground snapping the prop perfectly in half. But i was amazed, that was the ONLY damage, and i came in pretty hot.

Tjhochha

So, a few days ago, im flying my secondhand umx Cessna in my front yard ( 1 acre dotted with tall bushes and bordered by 30’ trees). Normally fine as long as im above the trees to avoid the downdrafts. Got lazy on thr throttle and planted myself in the VERY TOP (ie the flimsiest section) of three trees. Definitely got a workout that day (i dont have any recovery stick).
But cudos to the cessna, just some cosmetic damage to the foam, amazing little plane.

.... and then three days later rogue crosswind flipped me over and dove nose-first into thr ground snapping the prop perfectly in half. But i was amazed, that was the ONLY damage, and i came in pretty hot.
I've gone through probably 6 props at this point but both my airplanes are still airworthy. After many minor repairs. well, if gluing a wing back together after breaking in half counts as minor.

Robyle3

Any crash that does not require a shovel to recover the motor is considered as minor!

have fun!

I may have laughed a little too hard at this, haha 😂. But true, unless your lipo explodes hollywood style and your plane is in more pieces than the kv of your motor, a little time at the workbench and you’re good to go!

Robyle3

I just picked up several 8' sections of 1/2" PVC pipe and some connectors at local home improvement store.
In all under $10, It gets a little squirrely with all four sections but it's great for poking planes out of trees! and fits in the back of the truck.

I just looked around on the ground for the longest stick i could find (~5’ long), recovered the plane, and vowed not to fly in my yard again. Its perfect for the pt-17, but the cessna needs a little more freedom. Now to order YET AGAIN more supplies from horizon. Im almost on a first-name basis with the local post office drivers, haha.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Im almost on a first-name basis with the local post office drivers, haha.
For awhile there I was getting at least a package a day from China... After two weeks of that our mail lady asked what in the heck I had going on. I brought out the F-16 and showed her. She said, well now, that's pretty damn cool! :cool:

JTarmstr

Elite member
For awhile there I was getting at least a package a day from China... After two weeks of that our mail lady asked what in the heck I had going on. I brought out the F-16 and showed her. She said, well now, that's pretty damn cool! :cool:

Lets just say that i buy so much foam board from the dollar store that they have been out of stock for 2 months.

The versa wing is as tough as they say.
First flight:
Screenshot_20181125-114027_Video Player.jpg

Second flight:
Screenshot_20181125-114103_Video Player.jpg

And my third flight went better but when my nose weight broke free in the fuselage and slid down to my wingtip about 100 ft up, that did it in.

But, like many of you, I grabbed some more foam and had another wing ready in less than 24 hours.
20181126_061657.jpg

I haven't flown her yet but she's a hell of a lot more rigid and I figured out how to turn expo on with my relatively old transmitter. Hopefully this one's nose peirces the air as good as the last one's shoveled dirt. Lol

d8veh

Elite member
If you can take photos that well, you shouldn't have any problems flying- or did it crash because you were holding the camera instead of the transmitter?

Those are frames taken from the video my brother-in-law was filming. This is actually the best frame from my third and final flight.
Screenshot_20181125-114239_Video Player.jpg

The first two crashes happened primarily because I had never wing thrown a plane before and I didn't know my transmitter had an expo setting. My new wing should fly much better and I'll try the slow motion setting on my camera to get some really good shots. Thank you for the compliment though!

HilldaFlyer

Actually, I didn't crash it today... but back in August. I finally got around to purchasing four 10 foot sections of black PVC, glued ends on the so they could be screwed together and used them to knock the last piece of my FA-18E 40" Blue Angel out of the tree. The right wing was stuck up there for three months and the several really windy storms didn't knock it loose. I was hoping to recover the 60 A ESC, but ESC did not come down with the wing. That means the ESC is somewhere between the point of impact and the small brush were I found the motor. Most likely it is hung up in the tree somewhere, but I couldn't locate it.

Here is the video of the last flight. Guillaume and I were flying are FA-18 together, first slow and then as fast as they would go. On the first attempt at a low pass I dipped a little too low before clearing the trees.

After recovering the wing, I went for a walk in the woods in an attempt to locate other planes that people had lost during the flying season. I found them both.

r6eCBa7o1Z8bK17F9xu2cU9Qp6tk21br3sxxBgZjfqqLNRws2nx2y_OkRNGKVgex9yfnJHDvHJRtSKCl5WUXnIKqx04DpxUJDEMvzFkWFe8Vux1-c2O0wNOGPvWUJZmIbl2G6Fot

The cub landed neatly under a tree
v-qzvWdW72d22GBrykIlK6qJVsN47WeTFwDi20FVatjPtOgz_XbByWgpxCuqIm8HXAxpnOmWkN3RvyJGzjjgNpdvUT8L7cxK4IW-ef6rqfBWE_Nz-5AXrElD1_lUP5fbOuAlz0gz

But the Pulse hit pretty hard and was in several pieces.
DjKM5te6QBZje1vYCOGxdyLLkKk2AXvJgPYhxUQED5MdWuh14HjA1UYJg0ucqK-WJvdXd8sZgDyk6VRceaGudedHb6s6Z6hy9iJpHaxhJjrvhPrxog_UH3ju1i3d9yaix8hY7Yl3

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
This crash wasn’t from today, (it was actually from a few months ago) but I just found this thread and it was my only plane-destroying crash. This was my ft mini sportster, my all time favorite plane, it crashed one day when I tried doing some new tricks, and it got stuck in an inverted flat spin. I tried to use my ailerons and elevator to recover, but when I remembered to use rudder, the plane recovered but the force ripped the battery out, which brought the plane down. The only surviving part of the plane is the wing, and I will probably just build a new sportster with it.
62D411A0-EAC0-42A6-A639-5DA5C0D64F95.jpeg

Also, @HilldaFlyer, the two planes that you found in the woods seem like good finds. Will you be fixing the pulse?

OliverW

Legendary member
I was flying with my friend like a month ago, and I was flying my HK Prime Jet Pro. I did many low passes but didn't have enough altitude or speed and did kind of a weird stalling turn like 10 feet of the ground. I clipped a tree and smacked the ground and broke off a fin and the motor mount. I repaired it and flew at my field and as I was going vertical my EZ connector lost the nut on it so my elevon went up to full deflection. I barely recovered then smacked into the ground breaking the nose, motor mount, both fins, bottom and top of fuse, and canards. Fixed and will fly again

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Now that I already told you guys about one crash, I might as well tell you about some others (these crashes were my best/most epic crashes). The first crash happened when I was flying my micro b-17, (which was a gift from a guy at my field) in formation with some other b-17s. I just finished a pass and started to pull up when had a midair with another b-17 that was on approach for a landing.
My second crash is another b-17 crash, but not as cool to imagine. I was flying (mostly) alone at my flying field when I decided that I would try flying under the trees and down the trail that is next to the field. I had a perfect approach but I overestimated the height of the tree and hit one of the branches. Luckily, the tree came out of the accident without damage (oh , and the plane was fine too).
My final crash that I still remember happened when I was “landing” my 4s mini mustang and the wing came off after a cartwheel. The crash might not sound that cool but remember that this plane is a 1 pound monster that lands at the top speed of a “normal” mini mustang (about 30-40 mph).
Here is a picture of the mustang:
0AF93BD5-0D81-43A2-BA0E-8962CEC0520B.jpeg

HilldaFlyer

Also said:
@HilldaFlyer[/USER], the two planes that you found in the woods seem like good finds. Will you be fixing the pulse?

Man - I appreciate the challenge, but no. The planes belong to others so I'll let them deal with the carnage. I'll bet it can be repaired and fly again, but it would take some pretty crafty buffing. ;)
The Cub was in relatively good shape... except for one tire that a squirrel found tasty.