What did you crash today

mayan

Legendary member
Despite the crash, damage was pretty minimal to the plane.
Unlike mine 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
767B8786-1CE9-4C04-81B3-2FBE19738830.jpeg

If you are wondering what happened then I hit a tree and then the ground without a middle stop.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Just a heads up, I called Beechcraft and told them I had become somewhat of a celebrity in here and asked them if they wanted me to be a spokesperson for their product. They said they would get back to me. So if you see them in here just back me up, ok guys?
Running a full size Beechcraft into a pole might be a bit more expensive, just saying

KSP_CPA

Experienced my first sudden and complete loss of signal during flight. Went out with a redesigned trainer I worked on in the winter to earn its livery. Straight and level flight, no obstruction to LOS, each cell was at ~3.85V, throttle at 2/3, no radio towers or high voltage wires around, and poof, engine off and all controls frozen. Crashed without much damage thankfully, but I don’t have an explanation.

I was using a gravely 1806 2280KV A pack with a 6/5.5 prop (I know, too much prop). Could that have caused an over-amp to the 12A ESC? The motor was not hot to the touch and was beeping with its “I’m lost without my signal!” tone when I found it. Time from loss of signal to terrain was about 4 seconds, plenty of time for Spketrum DSMX to have reconnected before it was unrecoverable.

38102B63-5AE9-475F-B6AB-73A5F3080054.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
Experienced my first sudden and complete loss of signal during flight. Went out with a redesigned trainer I worked on in the winter to earn its livery. Straight and level flight, no obstruction to LOS, each cell was at ~3.85V, throttle at 2/3, no radio towers or high voltage wires around, and poof, engine off and all controls frozen. Crashed without much damage thankfully, but I don’t have an explanation.

I was using a gravely 1806 2280KV A pack with a 6/5.5 prop (I know, too much prop). Could that have caused an over-amp to the 12A ESC? The motor was not hot to the touch and was beeping with its “I’m lost without my signal!” tone when I found it. Time from loss of signal to terrain was about 4 seconds, plenty of time for Spketrum DSMX to have reconnected before it was unrecoverable.

View attachment 171819

3.85v is very close to minimum voltage where some esc's will cut out but usually just cut the motor and by the time you get to the plane and check voltage it would have rejuvenated a bit. Beeping when you got to it I would guess maybe a bad rx but I would charge the battery and do a range test.

mayan

Legendary member
Was it hot outside? Was the ESC burried inside the fuselage with no ventalation? If so I bet it's and ESC overheat had that happen to me with the 12A ESCs. What is weird though is that it didn't reconnect back.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Managed to crash most of what we brought to the field today. The F-22 flew awesome but suffered from a strong torque roll. I put it in a dive and lost control authority... Mini mustang maiden was a good lesson in check your CRAP, had the elevator reversed so nosed straight down. But after some repairs it did fly a little just as the wind got to be too much to handle. Original Spitfire flew better than the last time but also has a lot of roll even when trimmed. Broke the firewall when the prop caught on landing... The scout flew amazing for the first time today just as I was ready to give up on it, all it took was a little nose weight in the form of some mini plyers in the power pod. Unfortunately my buddy nosed it straight into the pond and the battery took the motor and Esc with it to the bottom 🥺 Had some great flights with the Timber X before taking a hard landing and damaging the gear, nothing a little epoxy can't fix. The earth also claimed my buddy's new Piper Cherokee. All in all it was a great day 🙂 will try to get a few vids up when I get a chance, nothing special or spectacular.

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_092136.jpg
    IMG_20200613_092136.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200613_100437.jpg
    IMG_20200613_100437.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
My F22 had multiple crashes at the airfield today.
hard landing, nose dive, battery fell out while rolling/looping (prior crash apparently made the fuselage looser and friction fit didn't work anymore).

What is great is that every time... it was basically just straighten the foam back out. other then the first which also needed a touch of glue to stabilize everything that came loose.

I found the flight characteristics of it were really nice, level the wings, cut the throttle, full back elevator... it just flows down to the ground.

MiniF22Crash.jpg

KSP_CPA

Was it hot outside? Was the ESC burried inside the fuselage with no ventalation? If so I bet it's and ESC overheat had that happen to me with the 12A ESCs. What is weird though is that it didn't reconnect back.
It was warm, and there wasn’t a lot of airflow over the ESC. As for the voltage, I was running 3S so the total voltage was over 11.5. Taking it back to the workshop, I did smell a distinctive burning smell coming from the engine when test running again. I’ll chalk it up to over amping an already hot ESC with a poorly running motor that was proped too aggressively. Lesson learned today...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I crashed just about everything I touched at the field today. My FT TT was my best flyer tonight and even crashed it when one of the motor pod skewers fell out. No damage, just popped it back in and had a few more great flights. Perfect, calm night, thought I would get some good testing in on my LR gear, only to find that my Dock-King Ground station decided to take a jump off the deep end. Flew one pack, and it was beeping the whole time and had a low battery message on my OSD. >sigh< Start trying to trouble shoot, and then it decides not to power up at all. Ahh well, at least it didn't cause a crash. Dug a few quads and a Tricopter out of my big bin of parts. Tri was not configured right and flipped when taking off. Ran a pack through one of my 3" Owl frames, thought I was in horizon flight mode only to find it was in acro. came out of a flip inverted and punched down into the ground. No damage, it flew again. My buddy decided it was time to get his crash helmet out and start recording my mis-adventures and caught this gem where the Gyro/Accel freaked out on my bargain basement quad built totally from average parts picked up on clearance a while ago. It flew like twice recycled manure when I maidened it so it has never been back out till tonight.

After that another really good flight of the FT TT. Then decided to fly one of my RMRC Nano Skyhunters LOS. Launch went good, but soon realized it probably isn't a great idea to fly an all black plane at dusk when you can't make it out from the shadows or trees behind it. Attempted a graceful landing, but didn't quite line it up right and did a cartwheel landing. Some glue required.

Cheers!
LitterBug