What did you crash today

mayan

Legendary member
Just thinking out loud I could be totally wrong though. The ailerons seem like they are built as flaps that might be creating drag or just acting as flaps and reducing your airspeed causing the plane to stall?

bwarz

Master member
crashed my mini corsair AGAIN. LOL. nearly ripped the wing off and broke the prop. I need to buy stock in APC and hot glue😆 All fixed and waiting for a trip to LHS for my weekly allotment of parts

OliverW

Legendary member
The simple stick kissed a soccer goal.. I just need to print a new firewall we're back in action
20200707_142334.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
SO... Crashed the HVAC blower today. Some disassembly required. Oh for the good old days where they actually put oil ports on the bearing caps instead of calling them permanently lubricated so they can sell you a whole motor or furnace when the permanent lubrication dries up. Some disassembly and re-assembly required.
SHUT OFF BREAKER! Pull main board. pull blower assembly. loosten squirrel-cage. pull motor, remove motor mounts, pull bearing caps, work oil in to loosen up all the dried up crud then clean, repeat oiling and clean, repeat oiling and clean, relube the felt pads, put the bearing caps back on, and reverse disassembly. WOnder how much thrust this thing has......
Seized.jpeg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I did everything wrong today

I installed a sparrow flight controller in a versa wing to test the sparrow FC, weather and work have prevented me from flying for 3 weeks and I was too excited and didnt check the CG after adding the flight controller, so it went badly out of control and headed for the ground and I let it go down since it wasnt too high and things could get worse if I try to get controll.....next problem is I thought I installed the lost model finder I just bought for it but I did not aagain too excited to go fly to remember, the grass is 5ft tall and now I need to get my drone and find it before high tide and it gets all wet.....

check your crap..... ha!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - just wondering if you figured it out. Curious minds want to know.
I did get it sorted, a second attempt confirmed it was way to nose heavy. I had to push the battery all the way to the back to get it to even stabilize enough for flight. Second is it has a killer tip stall, even at high speed any reasonable lean into a roll will pull it straight to a dive.

Solutions. Extend the tail by about 10-15% and expand the tail control surfaces by the same amount, this should help it balance better and have more authority. This will also allow the battery to come forward some to better get the balance dialed in. Second is to go back to having the wing tip fences to take advantage of the full wing span. This should help slow the plane down and maintain the STOL characteristics. I could add some dihedral but i do want to avoid that. I would like to expand the wing some to lighten the wing loading.

danskis

Master member
Interesting...from the video I would have thought it was tail heavy. So you had to move the battery back behind say 30% of chord? You said you balanced it before flying and I'm guessing 25 - 35% of chord. So if it was way nose heavy that would mean that the CG would move back past 35% of chord. I was under the impression most conventional planes don't fly that way.

Your solutions sound reasonable. Yeah it shouldn't need dihedral and I don't think that would solve the current instability.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
SO... Crashed the HVAC blower today. Some disassembly required. Oh for the good old days where they actually put oil ports on the bearing caps instead of calling them permanently lubricated so they can sell you a whole motor or furnace when the permanent lubrication dries up. Some disassembly and re-assembly required.
SHUT OFF BREAKER! Pull main board. pull blower assembly. loosten squirrel-cage. pull motor, remove motor mounts, pull bearing caps, work oil in to loosen up all the dried up crud then clean, repeat oiling and clean, repeat oiling and clean, relube the felt pads, put the bearing caps back on, and reverse disassembly. WOnder how much thrust this thing has......
View attachment 173932

Cheers!
LitterBug
Not sure on the thrust for that one. Put a 36x36 prop (not to be confused with a 36x3.6 prop) on it and see. "should" have enough torque to spin it and find out. :devilish:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Interesting...from the video I would have thought it was tail heavy. So you had to move the battery back behind say 30% of chord? You said you balanced it before flying and I'm guessing 25 - 35% of chord. So if it was way nose heavy that would mean that the CG would move back past 35% of chord. I was under the impression most conventional planes don't fly that way.

Your solutions sound reasonable. Yeah it shouldn't need dihedral and I don't think that would solve the current instability.
Yeah the flight started at slightly nose heavy at 25%, so i expected to have to use speed to stay afloat. I balanced it to fly on the 33% CG mark with it level and not slightly nose heavy. Even with the battery shoved completely under the wing it still needed good speed. This would be the combined inefficiency with the wing. Wing tip fences, just like on my original Kitfox, will help prevent spillage and act like an under camber tip to be the last part of the wing to stall. I will see how well that works and then maybe add VG's to the last 3-4 inches of the wing tips as well

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Yeah the flight started at slightly nose heavy at 25%, so i expected to have to use speed to stay afloat. I balanced it to fly on the 33% CG mark with it level and not slightly nose heavy. Even with the battery shoved completely under the wing it still needed good speed. This would be the combined inefficiency with the wing. Wing tip fences, just like on my original Kitfox, will help prevent spillage and act like an under camber tip to be the last part of the wing to stall. I will see how well that works and then maybe add VG's to the last 3-4 inches of the wing tips as well
Can't wait till that thing flies as great as it looks!