What did you crash today

OliverW

Legendary member
in a word..."everything"! Had a picnic at my brother-in-law's today. He's got a nice property... pond, gentle sloping hill... relatively wide open. or so I thought. In fairness it is pretty big. Trees down one side by the house, a good swath of open grass, and a bit windy today. But as I was quick to find out, it wasn't an obstacleless open field, and the winds with the sloping land and the various breaks in the trees quickly made it interesting to say the least! My P51 mini will fly no more. There isn't a glue light enough. I did manage to tape it up...three times. But the last "landing" did it in. It'd be easier to rebuild anyways! I didn't come short-planed today! Out came the mini corsair between the P51 carnage. A quick crash, a broken prop. Only post-crash inspection showed that my last repair had the power pod with an obscene upward pitch angle that made control interesting to say the least. Plane #2 to become a wall hanger. Out came the simple cub. Easier flying, but the wind and the obstacles got me to panic. Just a broken prop thankfully, but I didn't have a spare to continue flying. Finally to the mini scout. several rough landings and a broken prop. thankfully that's it... I wasn't going to come home with everything destroyed...I flew it a few more times and it came home ready to fly another day. I wish I could say that about the other three! View attachment 176770
Not looking bad at quick glance, but the thrust angle on the corsair is going to be a problem, and the overall fuselage damage on the P51 is extreme. :cry: I'll probably attempt repairs but they aren't going to fly the same:cry::cry: So what should I build now!?:D
Build @Grifflyer master series mini spitfire!

bwarz

Master member
I need to know the story behind the power pod.
I designed it after looking at others I had found on thingiverse. link to thingiverse here... this one is the version 3A. I've been printing with ABS weighing in at 8g. The top brace makes it a pain to plug in the esc. I ream the holes to fit the skewers. Sides, top, and firewall interlock, but I've been gluing them up with acetone.

They hold up well on rough landings, but the damage ends up in the fuselage on a nasty crash. I did them because rough belly landings were roughing the stock pod up a lot.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
in a word..."everything"! Had a picnic at my brother-in-law's today. He's got a nice property... pond, gentle sloping hill... relatively wide open. or so I thought. In fairness it is pretty big. Trees down one side by the house, a good swath of open grass, and a bit windy today. But as I was quick to find out, it wasn't an obstacleless open field, and the winds with the sloping land and the various breaks in the trees quickly made it interesting to say the least! My P51 mini will fly no more. There isn't a glue light enough. I did manage to tape it up...three times. But the last "landing" did it in. It'd be easier to rebuild anyways! I didn't come short-planed today! Out came the mini corsair between the P51 carnage. A quick crash, a broken prop. Only post-crash inspection showed that my last repair had the power pod with an obscene upward pitch angle that made control interesting to say the least. Plane #2 to become a wall hanger. Out came the simple cub. Easier flying, but the wind and the obstacles got me to panic. Just a broken prop thankfully, but I didn't have a spare to continue flying. Finally to the mini scout. several rough landings and a broken prop. thankfully that's it... I wasn't going to come home with everything destroyed...I flew it a few more times and it came home ready to fly another day. I wish I could say that about the other three! View attachment 176770
Not looking bad at quick glance, but the thrust angle on the corsair is going to be a problem, and the overall fuselage damage on the P51 is extreme. :cry: I'll probably attempt repairs but they aren't going to fly the same:cry::cry: So what should I build now!?:D
Build a WWII themed simple stick! @The Hangar would dig that lol.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sorry - I somehow missed this! I’m using the Rimfire 3536 1200kv on 3s (1500 and 2200 mah) and a 12x3.8 APC slow fly prop. It has awesome power!
I just got an E-Flite Extra 300 and it has a 4250 motor in it, and spins a 13x8 prop on 4s. It’s got crazy amounts of power - even more than the rimfire and it’s actually cheaper as well, it would be stupidly overpowered in the edge (not necessarily a bad thing:p) but I think on 3s it would be perfect.

shadeyB

Legendary member
Unfortunately I forgot about this thread and feel I have to add 😃
I did get to fly her 1st but in the end i thought I had turned her right side up after inverted flight and turned towards me and pulled UP.
Needless to say after inspection of the footage I hadn’t lol (obviously)
Any way she’s put back together and full ordnance going on her for the weekend

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Unfortunately I get to post here today...:confused:

Before:
00279507-8F51-419E-84DF-EF26D27B3338.jpeg

After:
6AAE6469-DECC-4AD8-8744-8FCEB64AD316.jpeg

I was sending it as hard as I could and didn’t pull off a successful blender... Thankfully it’s not that hard of a fix! What a fun plane though! :love::love:

chris398mx

Master member
Unfortunately I get to post here today...:confused:

Before:
View attachment 177005
After:
View attachment 177006
I was sending it as hard as I could and didn’t pull off a successful blender... Thankfully it’s not that hard of a fix! What a fun plane though! :love::love:
A friend of mine at the local club has one of those and has many similar accidents. those plane do glue together well, but he smashed it really bad last weekend. He is going to buy a new one. They do look like a ton of fun. I thought i would build a foamboard one to practice on and then buy one of these next year.

OliverW

Legendary member
A friend of mine at the local club has one of those and has many similar accidents. those plane do glue together well, but he smashed it really bad last weekend. He is going to buy a new one. They do look like a ton of fun. I thought i would build a foamboard one to practice on and then buy one of these next year.
Don't do that.. it'll be horrible for your wallet! It'll start with the small ones and grow to where you have 105"+ models

chris398mx

Master member
Don't do that.. it'll be horrible for your wallet! It'll start with the small ones and grow to where you have 105"+ models
I know, i am already headed in that direction. I bought (2) 4 star 120's from an estate. 81" wingspan. 1 has a super tiger 3000 and the other a MDS 218. Both way bigger engines than the plane calls for....about 1.8 and 2.2 cubic inch displacement. I think i am headed down a hole I cant escape from! Should i seek psychiatric help before its too late?