What did you crash today

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ya, not my best day.

20201220_133011.jpg
20201220_132922.jpg

no idea what happened. it took off perfect, checked CG perfect, got some altitude and put into snap turn no problem, then all of sudden started to roll right and i had to start fighting it and adding trim. i was on final approach and it started yawing left straight towards a tree so i powered and pulled up. missed the tree and started to come around using the rudder only to line up the runway. got about half of the turn done and it just went nuts. shot up into the air, stalled, then started spinning towards the ground and for good measure it applied throttle to make sure it hit good. at the time i was full throttle off and full up elevator, no love what so ever.

the worst part is i still have no idea of what happened. was it the Rx, the ESC, bad karma? who knows. i have not had the heart to tear into it yet but really hope the motor is still ok. bad enough loosing a $350 fuselage and new 6S battery, i don't need a $100 motor shot as well.

anyways, i did my best to handle it like champ. everyone at field was sad but very impressed by my attitude. spent the rest of the day helping others with their planes and learning to fly FPV. if it wasn't for the crash it would have been an A+++ kinda day.

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
ya, not my best day.

View attachment 186712 View attachment 186711

no idea what happened. it took off perfect, checked CG perfect, got some altitude and put into snap turn no problem, then all of sudden started to roll right and i had to start fighting it and adding trim. i was on final approach and it started yawing left straight towards a tree so i powered and pulled up. missed the tree and started to come around using the rudder only to line up the runway. got about half of the turn done and it just went nuts. shot up into the air, stalled, then started spinning towards the ground and for good measure it applied throttle to make sure it hit good. at the time i was full throttle off and full up elevator, no love what so ever.

the worst part is i still have no idea of what happened. was it the Rx, the ESC, bad karma? who knows. i have not had the heart to tear into it yet but really hope the motor is still ok. bad enough loosing a $350 fuselage and new 6S battery, i don't need a $100 motor shot as well.

anyways, i did my best to handle it like champ. everyone at field was sad but very impressed by my attitude. spent the rest of the day helping others with their planes and learning to fly FPV. if it wasn't for the crash it would have been an A+++ kinda day.

laters,

That just ruined my day,

whackflyer

Master member
ya, not my best day.

laters,

That would've been devastating! I hope you have better luck next time! When I crash a new foam board plane it's bad enough...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
ya, not my best day.

laters,

Nooo, I’m so sorry! I really hope my Yak doesn’t end up like that... 😬

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
it's all good. i will figure it out and see want i want to do.

in mean time been distracting myself with the little crawler. will be 4 of us at the field now and we are going to build a little course wednesday after flying. built 2 obstacles so far and did a little bling work to the rig. :sneaky:

20201220_165411.jpg

20201220_183752.jpg

both will have legs buried a bit so won't be quite as extreme but even so, i was able to get past both as is. and yes, i did just realized i put a decal on upside down. :LOL:

laters,

Stress Test

ya, not my best day.

laters,

I say we blame it on Covid, at work we decided to blame everything on Covid. Broken ankle? Covid, Press blows up? Covid.

And now it infecting receivers, causing them to run amuck, Covid sucks!

It does hurt to look at those pics though. I hope the motor is still good.

L Edge

Master member
ya, not my best day.

laters,

1) What kind of radio and receiver do you have?
2) Did you range check it before you maiden it?
3) Did you walk around the plane and range check it?

L Edge

Master member
Spektrum Dx8 and using a Lemon DSMX 6-channel with a satellite. yes i range checked it twice.

Had the same problem as you
1) Was your satellite antenna rotated 90 degree and mounted a good distance from the receiver?
2) In your range check, did you first tie it down and walk(at reduced power) around the plane at the prescribed distance and check the flight controls?
3) Did you run the engine and do the walk around, and listen if it changes RPM. First time, I did it at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full?

Solved my problem this way.

You have entered a new area with carbon fiber fuses (and wings) which can cause significantly reduced signal range to a conventional receiver and antenna(s). At the club field, other pilots have had the same problem with crashes. I have a DX9 radio and 9 channel receiver and called up HH and they recommended an extension line 12" long added to the satalite receiver and mounted vertical where the regular receiver is mounted flat. Solved my problem.

I also bought a SPM9540 Flight LOG for $30 that you plug into a empty channel receiver that recordes voltage, frame loses, antenna fades, holds for your flight that covers the moment the switch is on. I mounted it in the cockpit window and evaluate it before I take off and when it lands. So far, no problems.

Did you know that a DSM2 receiver has less noise then a DSMX receiver.

It might be your answer to your problem you had.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Do you use differential to act as yaw? Is it worth it to set up and how does it react in wind or landings with crosswind?
yes I have that, it also has really bad adverse roll coupling on it. So you can use it for small corrections, but if I hit it hard, it goes crazy and rolls in unhappy ways. I don't think it would have helped here... when flying, by the time my brain fully processed it, I had hit the branch... had I not frooze mentally for a split second, I might have been able to knife edge between the 2 branches... but I really didn't get much reaction time.

L Edge

Master member
does that mean i have to throw away the 100 or so Orange Rx's i got? :LOL:

Once you move up to more expensive airplanes, protection against crashing becomes a factor. Now that you are aware of what can happen with carbon fiber fuses, a matching Specktrum 6 channel receivor and flight log will run about $100. Tally up what happened to you and the Spektrum pair is just chump change. Heck, one servo on my large stuff runs $145, so with a large carbon fiber plane, it can exceed thousands of dollars. A Spektrum transmitter and any Spektrum receivor are matched. So that means, other brands will not be fine tuned or do they mention anything about carbon fiber. Get my point.

OliverW

Legendary member
Once you move up to more expensive airplanes, protection against crashing becomes a factor. Now that you are aware of what can happen with carbon fiber fuses, a matching Specktrum 6 channel receivor and flight log will run about $100. Tally up what happened to you and the Spektrum pair is just chump change. Heck, one servo on my large stuff runs $145, so with a large carbon fiber plane, it can exceed thousands of dollars. A Spektrum transmitter and any Spektrum receivor are matched. So that means, other brands will not be fine tuned or do they mention anything about carbon fiber. Get my point.
100% agreed. The only thing is that the plane has faux carbon fiber to avoid signal loss. It is either Kevlar or fiberglass