What did you crash today

LitterBug

Techno Nut
RMRC Nano Skyhunter. Yeah, I'm not so good at LOS, and learning to self launch FPV it took a few hits too. The worst hit though was doing barrel rolls full speed and hitting the ground inverted.... Nothing some Foam-Tak glue won't fix but needs repaired before going back in the air. Guess I need to dump the uber wide angle AIO camera/vtx and get something with a field of view that I can better judge speed/distance. LOL.

Cheers!
LB

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I just have a gif that says it all.

With my old modded eachine racer 250, nothing was really damaged so a bit of tape and hot glue was enough. I also bent the props 90° but I just had to bend thel back.

Believe it or not I never broken anything on it, and it's been said that the arms on this are really flimsy.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
HHhhhhmmmmm on my other Nano Skyhunter....

My buddy was chasing me friday night when I was flying my RMRC Nano Skyhunter and got these pics...
Karl_fpv2.jpg
Karl_fpv1.jpg

Was back out at the field Saturday morning and something felt really off tword the end of the flight. Decided to bring it in and probably a good thing I did. Guess what finished falling of upon landing?

CouldaBeenBad.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I kinda killed my FT Duster on Saturday...

CG was off when I was flying (battery was too far in towards the back; I need to pull it a tad more forward), and so it kept wanting to just porpoise every time I tried to get it under control. It finally went down in what I thought was "the jungle" at our field, a wooded creek area downhill from our runway. Turns out I got REALLY lucky, and the plane pancaked right into the trail right there by the creek instead of into a tree.

There was some slight nose damage (nothing that some packing tape won't fix; in fact, it'll probably work in my favor for helping to balance out and make it a little more nose heavy!), and the motor mount sheared off at the screws (the motor and mount are fine; essentially, the wood screws pulled out in the crash and the motor was loose, but still connected via the wires - everything tested ok in bench testing later that night, so the electronics are still good!)

Everyone who saw it said if I had to crash it, I had one of the best crashes they've seen. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just finished swapping cameras on Taz and getting him set up this morning. Flew the first pack nicely with ZERO video problems after using a different camera. Sadly the second flight did not go so well. I was all happy that Taz was flying great now as I retweaked some more settings so I was ripping him across the alfalfa field and getting lower each pass. Forgot about the edges of a 2.1 mm lens being so off when judging distance vs the 2.5 mm I usually fly with and I clipped the grass and tumbled him across the field.

The only damage was the battery strap sheared off on impact and launched the battery. Took 30+ minutes to find Taz and another hour out in 90+ degree heat and zero wind to find the battery so it didn't explode and light the field on fire.

But at this point I do think he is ready for me to scrimp up and get a 5s or two to start running him on.

HilldaFlyer

I crashed my RQ-7 on Saturday. The wind was a little gusty. Yah, yah, blame it on the wind... I will because the first two flights went really well despite the wind. I was getting some awes from the crowd, but on the third (and final) flight I caught a huge down draft coming over the trees as I was turning it onto final approach. Kinda' dropped out of the sky like a bag of rocks and smacked the ground. Couldn't tell it was damaged until the next flight when the wing folded on take off - lots of ohs awes then!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Owwie. Hidden damage is a shocker for sure when you finally DO find out about it. Maybe we should talk Josh into developing the FT xray for post crash airframe checks.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
LOOK OUT FOR THAT TREE!

How the heck did I sheer off the battery strap and manage to hang there by the battery power wires????
HanginKrieger.jpg

Better yet, How did I not land in the creek 5' back???

LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

Ouch!

FT DR1 on it's maiden flight despite the CG being where they said to put it, it was completely uncontrollable and hit hard doing loads of damage.

I tthink it was actually tail heavy and I'm sad now, because I don't think it's repairable and a new airframe is crazy money here in the UK due to crazy postal prices!

Anyone know which is the best model to get, so I can use the electronics out of the DR1 in something that will fly?? I'm feeling a bit disillusioned with FT because my Storch wouldn't fly either.

Cheers

Ouch!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
FT DR1 on it's maiden flight despite the CG being where they said to put it, it was completely uncontrollable and hit hard doing loads of damage.

I tthink it was actually tail heavy and I'm sad now, because I don't think it's repairable and a new airframe is crazy money here in the UK due to crazy postal prices!

Anyone know which is the best model to get, so I can use the electronics out of the DR1 in something that will fly?? I'm feeling a bit disillusioned with FT because my Storch wouldn't fly either.

Cheers

Ouch!

Bummmer dude. It really blows to be in that spot. Did you build these from scratch or did you use a speed build kit?

I ask because it has been reported that the foam board people get in the UK is heavier than what we use in the US and the result tends to be a tail heavy aircraft. A speed built kit might give you the reference you need to go forward since some of the variables have been removed.

Still it doesn't help with the nutty postal prices.

Here are some options that may help:
1. Next build, start a thread. Get help from the community while you are building and film the maiden with a high def camera in good light. This community is the best. Video and a log of photos and progress help the helpers. We may not prevent you from crashing but with video and photos we may be able to pinpoint why.

2. Graupner (this is the .de link Germany) sells some FT goodies. I don't know if the postage is any better ordering through Graupner.de but I would check it if I were you. There are lots of UK flyers here, a build log may also help introduce you to them and them to you and you can collaborate more with people in your circumstance. Maybe buy a case of foam and split the cost.

3. A DR1 and Storch use some foam. The Storch is a pretty simple plane but also kinda big. The FT Tiny Trainer is similar but smaller and uses less foam. The TT is very forgiving and can be built with a polyhedral glider wing or the faster sport wing with ailerons. It may be simpler to build, use less foam (cost less) and be more forgiving if flown on a calm day.

My first attempt with a 3D was an unmitigated disaster. I destroyed it before I ever started the motor just by tossing it to see if it would glide. My first attempt with the TinyTrainer was on the same path until I got help from the community. Once you get one in the air it all becomes MUCH simpler, but getting there the first time by yourself is truly HARD.

Create your own thread. Take good, well lit photos as you build. The experience available here is the difference for most of us when we are new.

Welcome to FliteTest, Ouch. I hope this helps and would love to see you film a glorious maiden flight from across the pond.

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
I had also issues with CG on my DR1. It's really sensitive to wrong CG. I hd to move the CG 5 mm more to the front as recommended and now flys nice.
The electronics from DR1 fits perfectly to the SE5 The SE5 flys great snd the Recommended CG is perfect. With a 850mah 3s and 2205 motor no problems with cg.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
after watching the frankenplane episode i got inspired to build one of my own.

with the help of my students, we pieced together parts from 5 diff crashed planes to give birth to Frankenwing!

frankenwing.jpg

it is powered by 2 independent motors, a 3536-858kv from a crashed banggood T-28, a Emax 2205 out of a crashed mini-mustang but now configured as a pusher. 2 of my self-designed wings that have been crashed. support struts from a crashed Dynam Waco, and the tail section from a Eflite Radian glider. both motors were powered independently, big one by a 4S-2200mah, and the emax by a 3S-850. each ran of it's own receiver so 2 pilots were required. the top pilot just had throttle control of the 2205, all main controls and throttle were the bottom pilot.

today was our clubs winter picnic and most people were 50/50 on if it would fly until they heard it required 2 pilots, then most jumped to the "it's gonna die" selection. myself, having built it, i was pretty confident but not for sure...

https://youtu.be/FlPyAOOFQOI

amazingly, it's still in 1 piece. i lost left aileron and could not finish my approach turn. off to the right were houses so i made the choice to just shop throttle and put it into the dirt. i had planned on it dying today but have to admit that after flying it, i'm a little bummed it did.

anyways, just goes to show, if you got enough motor, enough wing, and good CG, almost anything can be made to fly.

thanks for the inspiration. i had a lot of fun today.

laters,

jason ;)

Last edited:

tomh

bushwacker

My bush wacker with ski's..twice..I have a love hate relationship with that thing. Can to much up thrust angle cause a plane to behave like it is tail heavy? After the last crash, I noticed looking at the power pod (I had re-built it previously) it had at least 5 or 6 degrees up thrust. Changed it now to about 3 degree down thrust and crossing my fingers..it is balanced at 1.75 " from leading edge, slightly nose down.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Hit a tree with my Tiny Trainer and broke the wing in half, ripped the wires out of the servos and loosened the skewers in fuse a bit. Not sure I will rebuild this one as after many hours of flight and over a year of abuse and crashes, I may replace my little park flyer with a small foamy 3d trainer and gut the radio gear for the replacement. I have had my fill of the TT for a while, but I could fix it also as it's not quite destroyed yet...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It's like 2 sheets of foam board lol. Build a new one!

I know, I'm just getting a little tired of my TT for the school field and was thinking maybe a 3d EPP foamy might be better and not fall apart as easily as DTFB. Plus I'm interested in playing around with a 3d plane that I can learn to hover with and other aerobatics. like this cheap little 3D foamy.

I feel like I have hit the top of the learning curve with the TT and cant get to the next level. The problem I'm having now is I don't have the room to build anything else with the Hog Bipe in full production, bathroom remodel and Xmas all in the way. At least I can fly the FT Sportster in the field until I get a park flyer replacement, I just need to stay away from those darn trees!