What did you crash today

Brett_N

The cub is in better shape than my usual flying version of the same plane.

But...

yeah...

Attachments

• 20181202_085702.jpg
    20181202_085702.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181202_085718.jpg
    20181202_085718.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 0

Robyle3

Its sad to see a crash like that, but boy that must have been spectacular to watch. That thing is probably in more peices than the kv of your motor (-_-)

HilldaFlyer

I agree - we need to fab up one of these for @Brett_N

I like the idea, so how would we go about making a "by popular vote" award on the forum. I'll certainly help out with creating the award, I have a friend that could laser etch some plywood, I'd just need a way for people to vote so I wouldn't have to count a bunch of thread comments. We'll do it every year.

FliteTest Forum Award
By Popular Vote
Best Photo of Crash 2018
Best Video of Crash 2018
Best Story of Crash 2018

JTarmstr

Elite member
I like the idea, so how would we go about making a "by popular vote" award on the forum. I'll certainly help out with creating the award, I have a friend that could laser etch some plywood, I'd just need a way for people to vote so I wouldn't have to count a bunch of thread comments. We'll do it every year.

FliteTest Forum Award
By Popular Vote
Best Photo of Crash 2018
Best Video of Crash 2018
Best Story of Crash 2018

yeah get one of the mods to make a sticky crash submission thread, along with a poll

Brett_N

It's all on video. Somewhere. It got text'd around but by the time it got to me it was down converted and really grainy. I'll ask around for an original at the field tomorrow. (as long as we don't get too much rain)

Brett_N

Its sad to see a crash like that, but boy that must have been spectacular to watch. That thing is probably in more peices than the kv of your motor (-_-)

And, my guess is that the remnants where somewhere in the range of 3X the KV of the motor. It's a 5056 Hacker spinning a 14inch prop - 400kV range ;-)

Motor, battery, ESC and other electronics survived. Nothing else did.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
perfect lawn dart landing! :ROFLMAO:

flying FPV and somehow lost orientation and flight level. went into a loop, then rolled out and all i could see was ground, followed by the usual thud.

20181209_090136_1544394373199.jpg

20181209_090148_1544394374273.jpg

if you look you can almost see my camera buried down there. thankfully we have had some rain and the ground was very wet and soft. the plane took very little damage and will be ready to fly again by next weekend.

laters,

me :cool:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Sigh......
So this happened today;
IMG_7968.JPG
Yea, there's about 8" of airplane missing off the front end of that....

But I REALLY don't think it was my fault!!...

You can see it here... (sory about the phone video, my gopro battery was dead...)

She took off, I climbed with no problem.
Started to turn right... It hesitated a bit....
Then as I was getting ready to turn back she "wobbled" and nosed straight in....
I had no control and couldn't stop it!...

At first, I thought, maybe I had reversed the controls, but I had checked everything out on the workbench at home and then I checked it when I got back home... It binds, but neither servo moves at all...

Anyone seen anything like this before?

JTarmstr

Elite member
Sigh......
So this happened today;
View attachment 120471
Yea, there's about 8" of airplane missing off the front end of that....

But I REALLY don't think it was my fault!!...

You can see it here... (sory about the phone video, my gopro battery was dead...)

She took off, I climbed with no problem.
Started to turn right... It hesitated a bit....
Then as I was getting ready to turn back she "wobbled" and nosed straight in....
I had no control and couldn't stop it!...

At first, I thought, maybe I had reversed the controls, but I had checked everything out on the workbench at home and then I checked it when I got back home... It binds, but neither servo moves at all...

Anyone seen anything like this before?

I have never even heard of anything like this. At first i thought maybe to much power draw from the motor froze up your servos because i have heard of that but if it didnt work after then they must have failed somehow. Have you tested servos individually?

kilroy07

Legendary member
No, not yet... Still drowning sorrows in Guinness! :cry:
But I will, I planned on checking the receiver too...

It only has two servos, I doubt it was a brownout...
It does have the AS3X/SAFE tech... Not sure that matters...

Robyle3

Well, you at least have something to glue back together, haha! Enough pu glue to fill in any gaps for peices you missed and two new servos and she’ll be right as rain!

JTarmstr

Elite member
I would test servos individually, if they dont work then its some sort of servo fail (though i have no idea how). If they do work then i would try powering it on with another receiver. Sorry about the plane, it looks like a rebuild is possible.

kilroy07

Legendary member
So back at testing... (thanks @JTarmstr)... Both Servos are good.... after I plugged them back into receiver, it worked fine... I cycled the receiver and it refuses to bind again.... GGAAAaaaa!!! :mad:

Keno

What did you crash today? Nothing the weather was to bad. Tomorrow well that could be different, as I have a new FT 3D ready to fly, a Wannabee Cuda, and a new FT Bloody Baron waiting in the hanger. I am now working on a FT Mini Guinea Pig. Oh I forgot the new FT Mini Arrow. If I bring them home in one piece that would a lovely thing. Merry Christmas All.