What did you crash today

Vimana89

Legendary member
Crashed the crap out of newest slender delta build with tail. A mighty mini sized power pack does not equate to good handling with a mighty mini sized airframe on this type of plane due to wing loading. I should have trusted my gut and kept the mid sized airframe of my previous tailless attempts. Oh well. I got parts. I got FB. Time for a full sized model with skinnier ailerons and a beefier elevator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
Crashed the crap out of newest slender delta build with tail. A mighty mini sized power pack does not equate to good handling with a mighty mini sized airframe on this type of plane due to wing loading. I should have trusted my gut and kept the mid sized airframe of my previous tailless attempts. Oh well. I got parts. I got FB. Time for a full sized model with skinnier ailerons and a beefier elevator.

That's to bad. :cry:

Vimana89

Legendary member
That's to bad. :cry:
Yeah. The concept is solid though, it will just require some more work. Handling characteristics tend to get exaggerated in smaller models, not to mention the wing loading. The electronics, though modest(1900kv graupner 250 size, 3s 650mah battery) , are a bit much on the wing loading for that little plane. It was less than the length and width of a single sheet of foam for the wing and tailplane, whereas my tailless ones had a wing the entire length and width of a sheet. I need that wing length, plus the addition of a tailplane.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
How about some up swept wing tips on the end?
Maybe. If you mean like dihedrals I don't see any deltas using them really. Negative dihedrals, or anhedrals are used on full sized planes, but can actually make the roll axis even more sensitive. I have seen plates or wingtips swept straight up on some deltas. What configuration do you mean?

Piotrsko

Master member
Nasa stuck a bunch of dihederal tips on their low aspect craft. Supposedly cleans up the vortices to make them less prone to tip stalling or changes the aspect ratio to same effect. May not even be relevant at this size but it was a thought. Straight up is my thought. See also Kasperwing.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yeah. The concept is solid though, it will just require some more work. Handling characteristics tend to get exaggerated in smaller models, not to mention the wing loading. The electronics, though modest(1900kv graupner 250 size, 3s 650mah battery) , are a bit much on the wing loading for that little plane. It was less than the length and width of a single sheet of foam for the wing and tailplane, whereas my tailless ones had a wing the entire length and width of a sheet. I need that wing length, plus the addition of a tailplane.
What happened, nose plant or just no roll control?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Nasa stuck a bunch of dihederal tips on their low aspect craft. Supposedly cleans up the vortices to make them less prone to tip stalling or changes the aspect ratio to same effect. May not even be relevant at this size but it was a thought. Straight up is my thought. See also Kasperwing.
Good info. That's specifically the type of thing I wondered, wether it interfered with the vortical air flow pattern. Good to know it helps.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Plans to rebuild I hope
Definitely. I plan to build it proper size, an entire sheet long and wide at the base for the main wing, and then the addition of a tail plane rather than the mighty mini sized version I just tried. I'll be looking into the upswept wingtips and probably employing those as well. I may look into strakes for the nose, but I'm not sure if those would improve my design since the wing starts so close to the nose. I'll dial down the relative width and size of the ailerons more still, and add a bit more presence to the elevator.

Wildthing

Legendary member
No roll control, spiraled into the ground.
Sounds similar to my Avro Arrow and it was way larger, pitch was smooth as silk but roll was very erratic. Once I added wing tips to it and fairly large to begin with , it was like a new plane and docile as can be. I experimented by trimming them down each flight and sure enough when they got down to a certain smaller size the evil came back.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sounds similar to my Avro Arrow and it was way larger, pitch was smooth as silk but roll was very erratic. Once I added wing tips to it and fairly large to begin with , it was like a new plane and docile as can be. I experimented by trimming them down each flight and sure enough when they got down to a certain smaller size the evil came back.
Wasn't familiar with the arrow offhand but it's a cool plane. I like a lot of jets from that era, British especially, fighters, bombers, civil prototypes, etc. like the hp-115, TSR-2 etc. my next build will include wingtips straight up 2.5" high, pretty long because I'm going to make them with an A fold straight from 2.5" in on each side. This will reduce the overall aspect of my wing a bit but since I'm going back to the larger configuration, there should be plenty of wing surface to spare for lift and loading. Thanks for the advice, It will definitely come in handy.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
MANY props were harmed, mutilated and flat out exploded today.

I forget that betaflight has more then one profiles and was trying to rip using the wrong one.

Glad I didnt let the magic smoke out of my new toy.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I didn't actually crash today but I did maiden my latest Quick Trick, (2200kV motor on 3S driving a cheap 6x4.5 prop).

After one good flight I fitted a fresh battery and went for a second flight. On the second flight I once again opened the throttle for a high speed run and vertical climb when the prop threw a blade! The motor vibrated and destroyed the firewall and I was forced to make an immediate landing with the motor dangling by 2 of its connections.

It was fun and actually the bird just glided in for a straight forward and good landing! NEED to find Stronger Prop!

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
My Spear... Is back... On my workbench...After her maiden...
IMG_8633[1].JPG

I have not had luck with the Spear (this is my second) the arrow (my first disintegrated quite spectacularly) The only wing I've had any success with is the kraken. Pretty sure I had WAY too much control (even with 50% expo) so I will repair and try again.

I also took my Storch to dust the cobwebs off of her. No video... (I left my SQ12 on the charger.)
Well, that's not entirely true.
@FroggerJon got some... Ahem... "Close" footage of her. That's her at around 12 seconds in... :eek:
Ran two batteries.

$11 Tiny Trainer also made another run. Ran two batteries through her as well.
On the way home, I bought a second foam glider for my daughter, we'll build and fly this week because I'm home for a change.

Mustang came along, but the wind got aggressive as the day wore on and I had just fixed her... so that'll be another day.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I had some great flights with my EVA Sport, and when I got home I broke the elevator and rudder getting it out of the car. :cry:

Sort of like a crash, but inside the car! :eek:

20190413_165527-1024x576.jpg