What did you crash today

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Bummer. Thats one of your nicest looking builds. Love that color scheme.

I crashed so many times today it wasnt funny. Blew 2 months budget worth of props in like 2 hours.

At least I didnt let the magic smoke out of anything.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Managed to get a clip out of the video showing a flyby with the motor and prop hanging off of the front of the plane, (Quick Trick).
Motor Hanging.jpg

Have fun!

Hoomi

Master member
Yesterday's crash. Ironically, my first RC plane, and one of the easiest to fly. I let her get a bit too low before trying to climb out again, and instead of climbing, she nosed over and went prop-first into the hard-packed Arizona dirt.

Should be repairable with some BBQ skewers and Gorilla Glue.
P4151559.JPG

HilldaFlyer

Should be repairable with some BBQ skewers and Gorilla Glue. [/QUOTE said:
Definitely - I have a HawkSky with the same features. Now it has 2 fuselage length carbon fiber implants. Has stayed together for years. You'll never be afraid of crashing it again.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yesterday's crash. Ironically, my first RC plane, and one of the easiest to fly. I let her get a bit too low before trying to climb out again, and instead of climbing, she nosed over and went prop-first into the hard-packed Arizona dirt.

Should be repairable with some BBQ skewers and Gorilla Glue.
View attachment 129007
If using Gorilla glue you may not need skewers! You could get away with a few toothpicks which are a lot lighter and will hold in the foam when glued equally well!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
My newest birdy. I had the most success yet and got some sweet climbs and a couple turns, then I just couldn't keep the altitude up and she plummeted, now the nose is ten flavors of messed up. Both crashes, the elevator rod was missing. I have a sneaking suspicion pilot error might not have got me so much as a servo arm popping off. I can try to rebuild her nose, or start over with the electronics. For now, there's a baby version for an 1806 2s setup ready to be linked and loaded.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
My newest birdy. I had the most success yet and got some sweet climbs and a couple turns, then I just couldn't keep the altitude up and she plummeted, now the nose is ten flavors of messed up. Both crashes, the elevator rod was missing. I have a sneaking suspicion pilot error might not have got me so much as a servo arm popping off. I can try to rebuild her nose, or start over with the electronics. For now, there's a baby version for an 1806 2s setup ready to be linked and loaded.

How are you connecting your control rods? Any close up pictures?

Vimana89

Legendary member
How are you connecting your control rods? Any close up pictures?
Basic double z bend. Both times after crash the push rod and the servo arm were missing together. I should probably glue the servo arms down with a spot of glue, since I'm assuming this is where the failure was. The first time I thought it was pilot error and that the arm and rod popped off during the crash. After the second, with a distinct feeling of not being able to pull up before the crash, it became clear what was probably happening.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Basic double z bend. Both times after crash the push rod and the servo arm were missing together. I should probably glue the servo arms down with a spot of glue, since I'm assuming this is where the failure was.
Are you screwing the arm in? It shouldn’t come off if you screw it on.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Are you screwing the arm in? It shouldn’t come off if you screw it on.
Not a metal arm the plastic part. Not using metal arms. The white plastic bit that pops onto the servo and where my rods connect with a simple z bend through the hole. That probably should have been glued on.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Not a metal arm the plastic part. Not using metal arms. The white plastic bit that pops onto the servo and where my rods connect with a simple z bend through the hole. That probably should have been glued on.
The hole in the middle of the arm (where it pops onto the servo) is for a screw, use the smaller screws that should have come with the servo to screw it on. I’ll drop in a picture later.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The hole in the middle of the arm (where it pops onto the servo) is for a screw, use the smaller screws that should have come with the servo to screw it on. I’ll drop in a picture later.
DOH. Should have realized that's what all the tiny screws were for. Makes sense now. What a dumb mistake, to wreck the nose of my nice plane in an otherwise promising flight. At least my design isn't d00dy this time and my pilot skills aren't that bad any more.

Wildthing

Legendary member
DOH. Should have realized that's what all the tiny screws were for. Makes sense now. What a dumb mistake, to wreck the nose of my nice plane in an otherwise promising flight. At least my design isn't d00dy this time and my pilot skills aren't that bad any more.
LOL, I was a little late for responding and I saw the servo arm missing and I couldn't see screws on the other servos , bad dog no biscuit :D . Definitely not pilot error,

Vimana89

Legendary member
LOL, I was a little late for responding and I saw the servo arm missing and I couldn't see screws on the other servos , bad dog no biscuit :D . Definitely not pilot error,
Banking so nice with the wingtips. I'm going to try to repair that messed up nose. maybe panel and reinforce it with fresh poster board coverings over the wrinkly areas after I glue and straighten as best I can. I should have those little screws stored somewhere. If not, a careful dab of hot glue will do. Hopefully I can get her airworthy again, if not completely as pretty looking. If not, I will strip the electronics and rebuild. Before that rebuild though, I have the little baby airframe for a little 2s mini/micro version. Overlooking stuff like this can have annoying consequences, but on the up side, a minor building error is easier to fix than design flaws and bad piloting.

Not even 2 batteries through it. It wasn't an actual crash, I "landed it" it tall grass and found the only protruding rock with the bottom of the cowling. It didn't help that I have a massive 3536 1000kv motor with an 11x7 prop. It did fly incredibly and the motor was still very cool. The esc was slightly warm.

Attachments

• 0424191833.jpg
    0424191833.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 0

kilroy07

Legendary member
Sigh......
So this happened today;
View attachment 120471
Yea, there's about 8" of airplane missing off the front end of that....

But I REALLY don't think it was my fault!!...

You can see it here... (sory about the phone video, my gopro battery was dead...)

She took off, I climbed with no problem.
Started to turn right... It hesitated a bit....
Then as I was getting ready to turn back she "wobbled" and nosed straight in....
I had no control and couldn't stop it!...

At first, I thought, maybe I had reversed the controls, but I had checked everything out on the workbench at home and then I checked it when I got back home... It binds, but neither servo moves at all...

Anyone seen anything like this before?

So, it "only" took 5 months to get this back in the air again... but she LIVES!

Things I did during the rebuild (I had to replace the fuselage.)
Painted plastic nose bits silver, Florescent Orange on tail and 2 strips on Left wing (I Really like it!)
Lamination film on the wing and tail surfaces (will probably do fuselage as well. (Made her a tad tail heavy now...)
Replaced plastic gear servos with metal gear.
Rearranged wiring (might also have contributed to tail weight...)
Dripped some Badger needle juice (silicone oil) down the control rod tubes... They are butter smooth now!
Replaced Spektrum receiver with a lemon (not on purpose mind you, when I was reinstalling the smaller antenna came loose... looking inside, I noticed that it only had ONE solder joint? I thought antenna should have a ground lead as well?...
IMG_8906.JPG
I also ran wires in the LED channel on the wings. My plan is to mount 1w LEDs on the wingtips for navigation (Red/Green.)
IMG_8894.JPG

KSP_CPA

My first motorized plane I scratch built. FT Tiny Trainer. Wing tip stall over a parking lot while I was only 1 mistake high. Ripped all bbq holes out and had been repaired too many times in the past to salvage. Was hoping to give her a proper send off by entering her into combat at FF OH. Learned a lot on this one. Embarrassed by the quality of the build in the pictures. Next one is under construction.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg