What did you crash today

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Lol! Motor sagged for an unknown reason.. I was really wringing it out and the motor all of a sudden said nope lol View attachment 142189
I've been toying with designing an easy, cheap 3d capable bird around an F-pack and 3s. I was planning on using a modified Mini Scout fuselage. You've got me thinking though. Profile might be the way to go. It's not about looking scale, it's about learning to fly 3d on something that you don't care if it crashes. Easily repaired or replaced.

Assuming I can figure out the motor mounting with the standard FT firewall (and I've got a couple ideas) what do you think of the profile planes? I've never flown one.

OliverW

Legendary member
I've been toying with designing an easy, cheap 3d capable bird around an F-pack and 3s. I was planning on using a modified Mini Scout fuselage. You've got me thinking though. Profile might be the way to go. It's not about looking scale, it's about learning to fly 3d on something that you don't care if it crashes. Easily repaired or replaced.

Assuming I can figure out the motor mounting with the standard FT firewall (and I've got a couple ideas) what do you think of the profile planes? I've never flown one.
It depends.... I really like profile planes, but the weight and power system has to be right.. if they are a bit overweight they are a handful and can't do 3D well. That said, give it a try! Once you have plans drawn up send me them! I would love to build it and give advice to make the perfect 3D foamie!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It depends.... I really like profile planes, but the weight and power system has to be right.. if they are a bit overweight they are a handful and can't do 3D well. That said, give it a try! Once you have plans drawn up send me them! I would love to build it and give advice to make the perfect 3D foamie!
OK. You're on! I'm starting the thread now! :D

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

A profile plane flies the same as a standard plane the only real difference being the amount of material in the fuselage and a little saving in drag.

3D planes are available in a number of different styles and designs. Generally what makes a 3D plane is light weight, high power, and very large control surfaces. The use of profile fuselages on lightweight 3D models is therefore a natural progression.

When setting up the 3D model first use the recommended settings for the high rate setting and on the low rate use a much lower rate than normal and a lot lot more expo. This allows you to have 2 types of flight in one. On low rates the bird will fly like a spirited sport model but on high rate the full 3D function or performance will be available.

Just remember when flying a 3D capable or designed model in normal flight mode that it does not take much control surface deflection or force from the control surfaces to effect significant movement and the light and concentrated weight normally means that the speed of reaction is high. Add to this relatively fast forward flight and the newbie can find it almost impossible to control and very hard to maintain orientation.

Just a few thoughts!

fluffpilot

is that a Sparrow SBK in there?

It is in fact. I've been goofing around with it half the evening considering ways to alter it but mostly trying to figure out why my control throws were way out in space until I jerked one of the servos (which was recovered from a crashed Scout) and found out that it was pretty much hammered.
So no ailerons for this one (not immediately at least, but later yes). I'll probably go throw it at the sky this weekend in between going through my Apprentice and tightening/repairing things and making confused expressions at foam board while trying to fabricate a one-off front fuselage half for the Storch biplane project.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It is in fact. I've been goofing around with it half the evening considering ways to alter it but mostly trying to figure out why my control throws were way out in space until I jerked one of the servos (which was recovered from a crashed Scout) and found out that it was pretty much hammered.
So no ailerons for this one (not immediately at least, but later yes). I'll probably go throw it at the sky this weekend in between going through my Apprentice and tightening/repairing things and making confused expressions at foam board while trying to fabricate a one-off front fuselage half for the Storch biplane project.
Wow you have a lot on the go, I can only handle one build at a time. I get so many ideas and lose track of what idea goes to which plane or lose focus and miss things I wanted to do to the original build etc. Have you already got the Sparrow built.

fluffpilot

The sparrow is assembled and will probably fly, but I'm absolutely not done messing with it before I'll consider it "built".
The Apprentice just needs some replacement parts to go in place of the proverbial band-aids, nothing major.
The Storch biplane is the only thing I'd consider a project. The Sparrow is more of an "I'm gonna mess with this till it's crazy or I ruin it or both" kind of deal.

fluffpilot

Was out trying new things, per usual, trying to do stalls and things. Had it in a pretty steep dive out at the edge of the field, pulled up to come around and set up for an "air show" pass since I was the only one on the flight line. It sheared the wing halfway through pulling out of the dive and spun off into the trees.
Pretty sure the motor is completely hammered, gonna have to get the CA glue and tape, and some parts..

**edit
That said, I haven't started on the mutant Storch project just yet (the parts are here though) so I think maybe I'll just build a regular Storch for now and paint it up all pretty so at least I've got something to fly.

Attachments

• photo_2019-09-14_14-14-01.jpg
    photo_2019-09-14_14-14-01.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Was out trying new things, per usual, trying to do stalls and things. Had it in a pretty steep dive out at the edge of the field, pulled up to come around and set up for an "air show" pass since I was the only one on the flight line. It sheared the wing halfway through pulling out of the dive and spun off into the trees.
Pretty sure the motor is completely hammered, gonna have to get the CA glue and tape, and some parts..

**edit
That said, I haven't started on the mutant Storch project just yet (the parts are here though) so I think maybe I'll just build a regular Storch for now and paint it up all pretty so at least I've got something to fly.
Looks like you didn't like that plane anyway lol :ROFLMAO:

fluffpilot

Looks like you didn't like that plane anyway lol

LOL
The tail is setting up with foam glue right now. I'll work a couple rods/dowels into the wing and get it back together, I've already ordered a replacement motor so whenever I get it all together she'll see the sky again. Might fly a little weird...
Meantime there's a Storch to build and I may also be assembling an E-Flite PT-17 in my kitchen right now.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
LOL
The tail is setting up with foam glue right now. I'll work a couple rods/dowels into the wing and get it back together, I've already ordered a replacement motor so whenever I get it all together she'll see the sky again. Might fly a little weird...
Meantime there's a Storch to build and I may also be assembling an E-Flite PT-17 in my kitchen right now.
What was your game plan for this mutant Storch you speak of

fluffpilot

What was your game plan for this mutant Storch you speak of
I was gonna hack it up and do a DIY large scale biplane but man it's just so pretty...
So I'm gonna go a different route with the landing gear but otherwise build it to spec, and try my hand at fancy paint then take it out and do scale flying/streamer pulling/glider launching with it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I was gonna hack it up and do a DIY large scale biplane but man it's just so pretty...
So I'm gonna go a different route with the landing gear but otherwise build it to spec, and try my hand at fancy paint then take it out and do scale flying/streamer pulling/glider launching with it.
That's right I remember the Storch Biplane, slow it down kinda thing.

You should still do it