What did you crash today

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I just got this done this morning:
20190922_094622.jpg

Maddened it and it went well, first battery to trim it in and play a bit...
Then I put in the second battery, not realizing the receiver lost an antenna. It dropped out of the sky 3 times in a row due to LOS. I brought it home and fixed the receiver and some minor fixes on the plane. At this point I knew this would be sacrificial just to see if the receiver worked, which it did. I took it up and was messing around with inverted and I pulled out instead of roll to close to the ground...
20190922_155349.jpg
Now this is just another opportunity to build it even better. It was a blast to fly so I already printed off new plans and will start on it tonight. I really like this plane

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
View attachment 143310
Then I put in the second battery, not realizing the receiver lost an antenna. It dropped out of the sky 3 times in a row due to LOS. I brought it home and fixed the receiver and some minor fixes on the plane. At this point I knew this would be sacrificial just to see if the receiver worked, which it did. I took it up and was messing around with inverted and I pulled out instead of roll to close to the ground...
View attachment 143323 Now this is just another opportunity to build it even better. It was a blast to fly so I already printed off new plans and will start on it tonight. I really like this plane
Are you going to try rounding the nose like you did on the P-40?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Are you going to try rounding the nose like you did on the P-40?
F-22 3 view 2.jpg

I wanna try to get the Diamond shape in the nose actually, and taper the inlets in, try to figure that out. I will be making the inlets taller to raise the wing up the body. And still try to fit in a 9" prop, might have to shave down the Master Airscrew prop, like @Sero did with his, to fit an 8" if I have to.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
View attachment 143310
View attachment 143323 Now this is just another opportunity to build it even better. It was a blast to fly so I already printed off new plans and will start on it tonight. I really like this plane
Nice maiden video, @BATTLEAXE! I loved how your confidence grew as the minutes ticked past. You're kid is a chip off the ole' block "Go to full throttle!" LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking!

It looked like it was doing a good clip, too. I'm thinking 60mph on some of those passes, though it's hard to judge in a video.

Bummer, the final picture. I've decided I'm not going inverted again unless I'm REALLY high, though I've been practicing in the sim. The muscle memory that we work so hard to achieve sort of betrays us when the plane is upside down. It's just another skill we've got to learn, if we want to do it. I don't know about you, but I do! :p

Great flight, sad outcome. Still, I'd call that a successful maiden. You only crashed because you were pushing your limits, and if you don't do that, you don't get any better.

Thank you for having video of it, so we could share those moments with you. That was just some nice flying! :D

Hoomi

Master member
Twin 64's... how big is the plane wing span wise
Just under 44" wingspan (1100mm). My biggest complaint about the plane is that Freewing puts an oversized pilot figure in the cockpit (at the same scale as the airplane, he'd be over 10 feet tall), and looks more like a sport pilot than a military pilot. They did a very nice job on so many details, and then apparently just grabbed the first pilot figure that would fit under the canopy.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice maiden video, @BATTLEAXE! I loved how your confidence grew as the minutes ticked past. You're kid is a chip off the ole' block "Go to full throttle!" LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking!

It looked like it was doing a good clip, too. I'm thinking 60mph on some of those passes, though it's hard to judge in a video.

Bummer, the final picture. I've decided I'm not going inverted again unless I'm REALLY high, though I've been practicing in the sim. The muscle memory that we work so hard to achieve sort of betrays us when the plane is upside down. It's just another skill we've got to learn, if we want to do it. I don't know about you, but I do! :p

Great flight, sad outcome. Still, I'd call that a successful maiden. You only crashed because you were pushing your limits, and if you don't do that, you don't get any better.

Thank you for having video of it, so we could share those moments with you. That was just some nice flying! :D
I already have another one on the drawing table, I like the plane when I tip it right over tip to the ground and yank on the stick, looks like a turn out of Top Gun. And being a pusher it has a loud roar to it. The KFm2 wing performed well, the elevons were lacking though. The 5g servos and the big control surfaces were not a good mix due to the fact I had to reduce the stroke by moving the pushrod in closer to the screw. the servo flutter didn't cause any issues in flight which was good. It rolled over ok, the BB rolls faster, but the pitch was to slight. Next one will have slightly smaller control surfaces but twice the throw, updates I will post on my FT-22 thread.

Full throttle was cool too, fastest I have flown yet.

Get this, buddy just lent me his onboard cam so that will be going on the new one. He is going to make a jumper connector to series 2 2s 1800mah 100C together for 4s on the P-40. And he will be there with his drone for the maiden of said plane. GOING TO BE SICK!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just under 44" wingspan (1100mm). My biggest complaint about the plane is that Freewing puts an oversized pilot figure in the cockpit (at the same scale as the airplane, he'd be over 10 feet tall), and looks more like a sport pilot than a military pilot. They did a very nice job on so many details, and then apparently just grabbed the first pilot figure that would fit under the canopy.
Yea it didn't look as big as something that would have twin 64's, but I know next to nothing about EDF's

Javiester

Elite member
IMG_20190925_203704.jpg

sudden rise of the 2s li-ion battery
It has stayed at 3.7v, does not charge and the voltage drops when you use it
plummeted
I will try to paste it

MacandRita

Well that's my first crash out of the way. Wasn't even in the air. Practising taxiing on the driveway and was bringing it back to the carport ready to put it away when I hit full throttle instead and speared it through under the SUV and into the dogs bed. Got my first 2 piece prop and need to rebuild and refit tail. Sure it isn't supposed to look like that. Oh well maiden will have to wait for another day. Fortunately had the wing off at the time so no damage there.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Maidened the FT-22 V2 today, first time flying with an onboard cam. It's a short vid...
I thought I lost orientation of it but it turned out to be a stripped servo which rolled it over, at that point I did lose orientation because I looked down at my throttle stick to see where I was at and looked up, to this crash

MacandRita

I got the club instructor to maiden the Simple Cub and had one of the foamboard wheels break free during taxiing. So we hand launched and he had his hands full as it was twitchy as. CG was spot on but it wanted to nose up under power and nose down when power reduced. Flew down wind reasonably well while he tried to dial in the trims but struggled to turn it back around and eventually dropped it into the ground. Damage limited to firewall reattachment and rework landing gear with proper wheels. He suggested reattaching firewall with 3 degree down thrust. Breeze was very light so conditions were excellent. While I was there I saw beautiful twin EDF jet maiden and they ran out of battery just before landing. Tore out nose wheel assembly and retracts out of the wing on both sides. Flew really well up to that point. He said had he been quicker he would have raised the gear and belly landed it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Maidened the FT-22 V2 today, first time flying with an onboard cam. It's a short vid...
I thought I lost orientation of it but it turned out to be a stripped servo which rolled it over, at that point I did lose orientation because I looked down at my throttle stick to see where I was at and looked up, to this crash
One word: "Ouch!" I hope it's repairable. That was a hard hit!

Headbang

Master member
Someone turned the big duck magnet on at the windsock again. I managed to avoid it (my duck has anti duck magnet counter measures). Someone forgot to install the official FT anti duck magnet counter measures when they built their duck tho, and was not so lucky... again.... and then again... 😄