What did you crash today

Matagami Designs

Master member
If it's any consolation, the real F-117 would enter a tumble without flight computers!
Doesn't look like a write-off to me.

I replaced the nose and re-evaluated the CG and got it flying again. What is it about the full scale plane that makes it so unstable?
20210323_175431_1.gif

BayDesigns

That’s great! IIRC the reason for the instability is the combination of weird angles and the wing configuration- the tail surfaces aren’t all that large, and the wing is swept at such a severe angle. It has no dihedral or really anything except for its control surfaces to keep it stable- the way I see it, if it had none of the funky facets, it would not be inherently stable, but not would it be inherently unstable- but the angles and facets add to the instability. This is just my take on it, though, and I could very easily be wrong.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
That’s great! IIRC the reason for the instability is the combination of weird angles and the wing configuration- the tail surfaces aren’t all that large, and the wing is swept at such a severe angle. It has no dihedral or really anything except for its control surfaces to keep it stable- the way I see it, if it had none of the funky facets, it would not be inherently stable, but not would it be inherently unstable- but the angles and facets add to the instability. This is just my take on it, though, and I could very easily be wrong.
They build them slightly tail heavy too, not just the Nighthawk but most fighters. The computer adds input to make it manageable for the pilot and the instability translates into lightning fast turns.

synjin

Elite member
Not crashed today but a week and a half ago. I just got it back from where it landed on a middle school roof. The security folks were really nice about getting it for me, even though there were a couple feet of snow they had to go through to get it.
ECCECE19-4304-4D5F-B7EB-0D86F02FBD13.jpeg

Stress Test

I replaced the nose and re-evaluated the CG and got it flying again. What is it about the full scale plane that makes it so unstable?
View attachment 196189

!!!! Nerd alert !!!!

Around 1964 A Soviet mathematician figured out that you could calculate radar return based on edges. Short version, a planes radar cross section could be reduced drastically but the design would be aerodynamically unstable.

Look at the real thing, all those sharp edges and angled planes to reflect / absorb radar can't be conductive to stability.

Computer flight assist was years in the future. This unstable design would fly, but not with out help.

I am really impressed that you can fly that one. Does it have a flight assist in it?

If you wonder why this catches my eye its because I live near Whiteman AFB where the B-2 are stationed, so I see stealth aircraft quite a bit. Also we had A-10's over the plant the other day. An Army unit was moved in a few years ago too, so sometimes I see Apache AH 64D's but not as often.

The other day I was wondering about the gliders they built here in WW2, I think I need to look for plans.

Matagami Designs

Master member
!!!! Nerd alert !!!!

Around 1964 A Soviet mathematician figured out that you could calculate radar return based on edges. Short version, a planes radar cross section could be reduced drastically but the design would be aerodynamically unstable.

Look at the real thing, all those sharp edges and angled planes to reflect / absorb radar can't be conductive to stability.

Computer flight assist was years in the future. This unstable design would fly, but not with out help.

I am really impressed that you can fly that one. Does it have a flight assist in it?

If you wonder why this catches my eye its because I live near Whiteman AFB where the B-2 are stationed, so I see stealth aircraft quite a bit. Also we had A-10's over the plant the other day. An Army unit was moved in a few years ago too, so sometimes I see Apache AH 64D's but not as often.

The other day I was wondering about the gliders they built here in WW2, I think I need to look for plans.

No flight assist. It really isnt all that bad to fly. Id say it's not very maneuverable though it does sound the best of all my planes and has a good presence in the air.

I see what you mean about the hard edges, that cant be good for preventing boundary layer separation. And as others have said I do think they made it slightly tail heavy.

I was watching a history channel special on them and found out the reason they were designated F for fighter is to get the top fighter pilots interested in flying them... As if calling it an A-117 would make them less worthy of a top gun skilled pilot. 😂

chris398mx

Master member
Today I crashed the mini nemesis by @Matagami Designs . I was flying it on 4s and decided to try some rolls in high rates - big mistake... It did them insanely fast and I was so far away I completely lost orientation and it went down - hard. It dug a nice little hole in the ground haha. I’ll be building another one sometime for sure, but I have a couple other projects to do first.
View attachment 195919 View attachment 195920 View attachment 195921
yes, like giving me an update on the fiberglassing project! LOL

bwarz

Master member
This evening I joined the club of the post-hitters. From the far end of the football field.... full throttle recovering from buddy boxing my 9 year old...
16183603869602118107161399093372.jpg

hit a 2" pole with the prop nut 😆🤣😂
20210413_202029.jpg

We laughed all the way across the field... and while searching for pieces (took a bit to locate what was left of the motor)... and all the way back.
20210413_202035.jpg

...not a scratch anywhere else on the plane 😆🤣😂

I'm so glad we could laugh about it! The battery is damaged beyond safe use and the motor is just as toasted :cry: but oh well! She looks easy enough to repair.

So he grabbed his mini scout and flew it pretty well. He even landed it! So some tragedy, a ton of laughter and smiles, and ended on a good flight!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
nice vids! I do feel just like I joined an elite club 😆 I just took a look at the motor thinking maybe I just buried the bearing. Nope! Shattered 4 magnets and dislodged all but one! At least now I've got magnets to hold on my canopies 😆🤣
Oh Dang, got 'er good then!! I've bent a few but I've never killed one that bad, that is an elite club! :ROFLMAO: Glad it was all in good fun, your plane is a lot prettier than what I fly! lol

BoredGuy

Crashed the tiny trainer yesterday....
High speed low pass with trees blocking view a bit, plus it was flying towards me, so I had to turn backwards to make it go where I want. A bit ambitious for my second flight, I know. Add a sudden gust that caused sideslip and the ingredients are all there. I corrected in the wrong direction (facepalm) and hit the ground, wing first.
Damage: Snapped wing (rebuild), destroyed powerpod (rebuild), and power nose holders damaged too.

Attachments

• 20210414_150606.jpg
    20210414_150606.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210414_150704.jpg
    20210414_150704.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 0
  • oof.jpg
    oof.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 0

quorneng

Master member
My crash was entirely my own fault.
I was flying the Endurance in cold, calm conditions, with bright low sunlight and the wind behind me. Nice for visibility but to land into wind meant I would have to fly up sun or do the circuit and approach all in front of me and face a long walk to retrieve. They were a bank of tree behind me so I wondered if there was room to sneak in low in the shadow of the trees, a low final turn and land into wind close by me.
The answer was no! I misjudged the distance on the cross wind leg and just hit a substantial branch in a bush. No leaves to cushion the impact at tis time of year so it broke off the right wing retained only by the aileron servo wire!
Repairs under way but this shows the impact point.
Repair1.JPG

It actually broke the spar as well hence the complete wing break.
Repair2.JPG

It will all mend.
The annoying bit is I had masses of room to make a perfectly normal landing but I was lazy and didn't want to walk!