What did you crash today?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
:eek::cry: :)LOL:)
It was a beautiful bird. Looks like the Electronics mostly survived.
All the electronics survived except the rudder and elevator servos. It gave me the "opportunity" to build a third plane and up my game on the paint job and refine the plans. And besides, how many others have had a plane run over?

IMG_4098 (2).JPG

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
All the electronics survived except the rudder and elevator servos. It gave me the "opportunity" to build a third plane and up my game on the paint job and refine the plans. And besides, how many others have had a plane run over?

View attachment 231055
Very few. I have come close to getting into the club

Burnhard

Did not crash but a great reminder how important it is to have the CG right.

Tried to maiden this one at my flying filed last weekend. The guy who sold it to me gave me CG instructions. When I prepared the plane for maiden, I noted that the CG in my set-up was about 1.5 to 2cm behind the markings. Thought this makes little difference. Boy was I wrong.
6698F604-43F0-4BE5-BC7E-F5E8CC4A8B02.jpeg

Upon takeoff the plane banked to the left and pretty much went into a stall. Had absolutely no control over the aircraft. The crowd behind me suggested to ditch it to the field. That was no real option as that would have meant severe damage to the landing gear (probably ripping out the gear an totaling the aircraft).
3823CBAA-F4C6-46F3-A1E0-9E7717D16328.png

Through some rather extreme luck I managed to get the aircraft into a right turn and to bring it back to the field and set it down in almost a good landing. Lots of cheering from the back. No damage and she lives to fly another day.
A53484CA-A955-4709-9EBE-073A804D5923.png

mastermalpass

Elite member
It was my birthday yesterday and I got a 'Tile' tracking device. Thought it'd be a good idea to pop it in the Su-35 for a flight near some woods. Neglected to think of the effect it would have if I placed it right next to the Rx. It was having momentary lag in controls here and there. So I started bringing it in to land and then the controls locked up on the downward spiral.

Stuck the nose right into the ground:
Screenshot_20221113-125443_Gallery.jpg

Fortunately, most of the important stuff is okay. Just need to check the ESC didn't get damaged and if I can straighten out that front part of the wing plate, the fuse will just glue back on. :)

Screenshot_20221113-125448_Gallery.jpg

Shurik-1960

However, the model is not broken and it was in the summer...Lake Pleshcheyevo, Pereslavl-Zalessky. Landing a Slowboat seaplane with a 1m span on the water when the battery subsides and saving the model .I'm the lifeguard.My wife is shooting the video.

Shurik-1960

I did not check the operation of the rudder before starting...there was a reverse. Stick on yourself-the model is nose down.It has been restored for a long time and will fly this winter .

mastermalpass

Elite member
However, the model is not broken and it was in the summer...Lake Pleshcheyevo, Pereslavl-Zalessky. Landing a Slowboat seaplane with a 1m span on the water when the battery subsides and saving the model .I'm the lifeguard.My wife is shooting the video.

That video got hilarious when she zoomed out. That is a very long way! 😂

Shurik-1960

I rewired the Turnigy 9x and it now has memory for 16 models. But I have more than 36 models. Therefore, both DB-5 models have the same setting, but the elevator servo mechanism is installed differently in the models. When flying on a DB-5 with a 1.2 m span, after the DB-5 model with a 1m span, it is necessary to reverse the rudder in the settings. But I have been an experienced pilot for a long time and I wanted to fly so much!!! Check the correct operation of all rudders before takeoff!!
Lake Pleshcheyevo in summer is very warm and a great place to relax for children and adults: I sit 200m from the shore and my daughter, 10 years old, swims around me..

Shurik-1960

The model fell due to a breakdown in the cold (-24 degrees Celsius) of the receiver and loss of signal.
For 3 years, Polaris flew from water and snow regularly.There is a limit to everything. The model took off this summer from the lake and in January it will take off from the snow.

flyinsparky

I didn't realize the travel on my rudder would interfere with the elevator on my Mini Sportster during the maiden. An unplanned landing and a little tumble... nothing broke, she still flies great! Now I just have to fix up my end points in my transmitter (like I should have done to start!)

Tench745

Master member
The final recovery attempt was taking Four 10 foot sections of conduit, connecting them together, and giving it a few pokes. I think I spent more on the conduit than I did on the plane. :LOL:

I keep some old fiberglass tent poles in my car for this purpose. They work well if I actually remember to take the car I keep them in.

luvmy40

Elite member
So, I "maidened" my new UMX A-10 today. The flight lasted about 2 seconds and ended with the nose snapped off. It's repairable, the glue is drying now. I know I checked my CRAP. Maybe I had it a little too nose heavy? I hand launched at 3/4 throttle. Tossed it at about 45 deg. up angle and it just turned straight down before I could even think about pulling the stick back.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
So, I "maidened" my new UMX A-10 today. The flight lasted about 2 seconds and ended with the nose snapped off. It's repairable, the glue is drying now. I know I checked my CRAP. Maybe I had it a little too nose heavy? I hand launched at 3/4 throttle. Tossed it at about 45 deg. up angle and it just turned straight down before I could even think about pulling the stick back.
Ah man, I hate it when that happens. You don't even have any time to figure out what's going on. I haven't flown any edf but folks here say it takes some time to develop thrust, think that was it?

luvmy40

Elite member
Possibly. This is my first EDF as well. Next launch will be at full throttle with a little lag for run up.

Tench745

Master member
It is my personal opinion, backed by some experience, that the commonly recommended technique of launching at a steep angle is wrong and counter-productive. Think about it, you have almost zero airspeed and you're throwing the plane feet into the air at a very high angle of attack; it's a recipe for a stall. The only thing that saves most planes is enough thrust to haul the plane up to flying speed before it hits the ground. EDFs are not known for instant thrust.
I recommend throwing the plane at a much flatter angle and Hard. You want enough airspeed for the controls to become effective and time to start generating thrust.