What Did You Fly Today

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Today I flew a micro c-17 that somebody gave to me at a flying field bbq. He won it in a raffle there and he said that he had too many planes (I had crashed my last two planes that day and the day before so I had nothing). Anyways, for a 25 dollar plane it flew great! Pitch control was fairly precise for not having an elevator, and the same could be said for the turn controls. It was also powerful for a 50 gram plane and could take off from the ground without too many issues. Lastly, it could glide very well, and I learned this because the motors cut off during flight and it came in for a not-so graceful landing. There is a red light on the bottom of the plane that flashes as a warning but I didn’t see it... Before I post this message I want to add that if anybody wants a cheap little plane to just fly at a nearby park and relax, this is a great one to consider.

Hoomi

Master member
One flight each this morning on Fawkes, Air Hooterville, and the Scout, and two flights on the Stinger. I got to the flying field just after 7:00, and by 8:30, the wind was kicking up enough that it flipped the Scout sitting on the ground. When the wind is throwing your parked airplanes around, it's a good indication that it's time to call it a day.
P8181713.JPG

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That's a lot of information. I love the accelerometer. I would have loved to see how many gees I was pulling when I tore the wing off my Mini Scout Speed Racer. What do the numbers at the top mean?

I can't imagine flying that FPV with the obstructed view. That's going to be one heck of a rush! :D

JennyC6

Elite member
That's a lot of information. I love the accelerometer. I would have loved to see how many gees I was pulling when I tore the wing off my Mini Scout Speed Racer. What do the numbers at the top mean?

The 46 is part of the craft name, then it's got a pitch and roll indicator, and then a battery level indicator for the 2s800 lipo powering the FPV system. My VTX requires 2s lipo so I can't run it off the 2s LiFE I have in there for running the radio gear.

Would love to have both voltages on display, though. And perhaps engine vitals(RPM, head temp). Once I've made a flight or two through the gogs I'm gonna start working on a fuel level sensor that'll illuminate a red LED within the camera's FOV(Likely bottom right or bottom left where the view's blocked anyway) when the fuel level...measured during level flight anyway...is 1/3rds from empty. I'm thinking an LED, a photodiode, a transistor will make a sensor/driver circuit.
I can't imagine flying that FPV with the obstructed view. That's going to be one heck of a rush! :D
View's not as bad as it looks in that video. A lot of the problem with that...and glare...was some packing tape I had put over part of the hole I made in the windshield for the camera. It had collected castor goo over time and was basically turning into a disco ball of sorts.

The thing I like most is how minimal the jello is despite the engine being hardmounted to the airframe. I've seen race quads with more jello. ._.. But yah, got the glare issues sorted, and in doing improved the useable field of view significantly. I think I'll give it a try from the camera this weekend.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The 46 is part of the craft name, then it's got a pitch and roll indicator, and then a battery level indicator for the 2s800 lipo powering the FPV system. My VTX requires 2s lipo so I can't run it off the 2s LiFE I have in there for running the radio gear.

Would love to have both voltages on display, though. And perhaps engine vitals(RPM, head temp). Once I've made a flight or two through the gogs I'm gonna start working on a fuel level sensor that'll illuminate a red LED within the camera's FOV(Likely bottom right or bottom left where the view's blocked anyway) when the fuel level...measured during level flight anyway...is 1/3rds from empty. I'm thinking an LED, a photodiode, a transistor will make a sensor/driver circuit.
View's not as bad as it looks in that video. A lot of the problem with that...and glare...was some packing tape I had put over part of the hole I made in the windshield for the camera. It had collected castor goo over time and was basically turning into a disco ball of sorts.

The thing I like most is how minimal the jello is despite the engine being hardmounted to the airframe. I've seen race quads with more jello. ._.. But yah, got the glare issues sorted, and in doing improved the useable field of view significantly. I think I'll give it a try from the camera this weekend.
That video looked a lot less obstructed. I could fly that FPV. Right into the ground, but it'd be fun! :D I tried FPV with some quads. I'm not really good at it. In truth, I pretty much suck at it. :p You're building yourself a monster of an informative FPV system on a really cool plane. That totally rocks! (y)(y)

JennyC6

Elite member
That video looked a lot less obstructed. I could fly that FPV. Right into the ground, but it'd be fun! :D I tried FPV with some quads. I'm not really good at it. In truth, I pretty much suck at it. :p You're building yourself a monster of an informative FPV system on a really cool plane. That totally rocks! (y)(y)

I feel like there's not much more I can do with the instrumentation unless I find the dosh for an Eagle Tree setup. And I can't seem to get RSSI working on this thing; the FC can't pick it out of the old school style of wiring I'm using to actually fly it(No SBus or anyhting like that just standard PWM servos in a standard PWM receiver). Ah well. I might drop RSSI for a pitot indicator if I can find one that'll work with a Betaflight FC and mount far enough out in the wing that it's clear of propwash.

I think you'd do ok with it. The altimeter and artificial horizon would keep you from lithobraking and the NexSTAR itself flies like an absolute dream. It has no active stabilization on it and yet it errs on level flight anyway. If you can find one....they've been OOP for several years now....buy it and go fly! They fly great on a 52 four stroke or a 46 two stroke(The RTF versions were sold with OS 46AX engines and I flew mine on one a few times as well), but they also fly great on e-power if you can get the right motor(They recommend/include an 11-5-2 prop and I fly mine on an 11-7-3 with the thumper and flew it on a 10-5-3 on the two-stroke, size motors to that if you want to e-convert).

I also do surface FPV!

No FC or Telemetry in them, but hey. And unlike the NexSTAR, these two clips were filmed while I was driving through the FPV system. I'm...a lot more conservative about things with out-of-production Balsa trainers, it seems.
I too would love to try the FPV one day! :D
Go for it! Grab a stable model that never sets a wing(or wheel) wrong and throw a cheapy AIO boardcam on the top! You can try FPV for <$50 and if you like it invest in some better gear. Even my setup isn't that pricey; my cameras are 10-15 bucks depending on banggood's mood that day, my VTX's cost about 20 a pop, I use Eachine EV-800d gogs, and cheapy cloverleaf/pagoda antennae handle transmission duties(With the stock roundie/patch on the gogs receiving).

It's so much more immersive. I love it. I plan on rigging every RC model I have with FPV as time ticks by.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Coming soon to a YouTube channel near you (when I have a little time for editing).
View attachment 141114
The anticipation is killing me. What I like about seeing flying footage from people all over the world is the different scenery you all get to fly in. Where I fly is so normal to me, as yours is normal to you, but to see different terrain is so cool. Like this pic, I would so love to fly there.

Hoomi

Master member
The anticipation is killing me. What I like about seeing flying footage from people all over the world is the different scenery you all get to fly in. Where I fly is so normal to me, as yours is normal to you, but to see different terrain is so cool. Like this pic, I would so love to fly there.
Well, if you get down here to the Tucson area anytime, let me know. Our club is pretty relaxed about visitors - so long as you have AMA membership, you're welcome to stop by and fly.

And, as promised -

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well, if you get down here to the Tucson area anytime, let me know. Our club is pretty relaxed about visitors - so long as you have AMA membership, you're welcome to stop by and fly.

And, as promised -

Nice vid, I like how it is shot from under the fuse, get to see the ground and horizon instead of the nose and a spinning prop.

As I understand it as a Canadian with M.A.A.C., (which is the Canadian equivalent of the A.M.A.) I am covered in the U.S. as well. I may have to take you up on that offer sometime.

Hoomi

Master member
Nice vid, I like how it is shot from under the fuse, get to see the ground and horizon instead of the nose and a spinning prop.

As I understand it as a Canadian with M.A.A.C., (which is the Canadian equivalent of the A.M.A.) I am covered in the U.S. as well. I may have to take you up on that offer sometime.
This is a popular destination for Canadians in the winter time. We never need to clear snow from the runway to fly. On the few occasions it does snow down here, it doesn't stick around long.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This is a popular destination for Canadians in the winter time. We never need to clear snow from the runway to fly. On the few occasions it does snow down here, it doesn't stick around long.
Yea Arizona is a huge destination spot for us north of the border. People tend to leave the winter weather here for the golf courses there lol. The little woman and I have been discussing the possibility of road tripping RV style. It's all up for grabs