What Did You Fly Today

Piotrsko

Master member
Squirrel tail reminds me a lot of a kid at Bluff Cove, RPV, CA. it got to the point we were playing "mess with Rick" on launches, including the inverted backwards frisbee somersault toss. Afaik, Rick ended up as an aerodynamic engineer after inventing the indestructible bat plane (which was what started the IBFST).

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have had a great couple of days at the sticks with my Scout, which was well deserved. I had a rough day last week where I downed 3 planes in one day, the Explorer, took a dive into the dirt when I took her way past time to land and had no voltage to recover in the wind. I had the Shrubsmacker flying around in the back yard when I lost signal at altitude, and because it was trimmed in so well, it leveled out and glided with the wind across the ravine behind our yard and made its new home 75' up in a spruce tree. Might not get that one back. Then as my go to, I took out the Spit and it took another nose dive into the dirt after also losing signal after 15 seconds of flight, causing the same damage it sustained and I fixed before.

Over the past couple of days though have been great with the Scout. I have achieved more with this plane this weekend then I have on any other plane to date. I have been perfecting rolls, loops, and inverted with this plane. Today I also attempted a knife edge or two, still gotta figure out how the aileron adjustments work along side the rudder input. I am thinking about it now and it seems like the thumbs move in opposite directions once you have the plane on its side. Please let me know of any tips on this one. And as a happy accident the first time I tried, I got the plane to hover on the prop, high alpha. Got it to happen twice actually.

Two full batteries and zero crashes. My crash ratio has dropped dramatically, watch i just jinxed myself lol! I do have some pics of the action, check it out:
20190901_150312.jpg 20190901_150934.jpg 20190901_152358.jpg 20190901_153021.jpg 20190901_153101.jpg
20190901_153354.jpg

Still training the boy on the camera but we are getting better. The last thumbnail pic is a hover shot. We didn't get any good inverted pics though. More to come on the Scout.

If the wind calms down some i will take out the Bronco later tonight

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
As it turned out the wind was up a little and I was to lazy to maiden the Bronco, so I took up the Scout again. And so glad I did. This time I took it balls out as far as full throttle would go and got some speed time in. It's good practice to get ready for some Mig 3 flying. Getting creative with the maneuvers to get some scale lines and help with orientation practice as well. I kinda want to do a group build on it and see what others are going to do to the Mig, for the most part I can't really think of anything I would change with it... yet, but it's still early too.

Who would be interested in a group build on the Mig… show of hands?!
(y)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
As it turned out the wind was up a little and I was to lazy to maiden the Bronco, so I took up the Scout again. And so glad I did. This time I took it balls out as far as full throttle would go and got some speed time in. It's good practice to get ready for some Mig 3 flying. Getting creative with the maneuvers to get some scale lines and help with orientation practice as well. I kinda want to do a group build on it and see what others are going to do to the Mig, for the most part I can't really think of anything I would change with it... yet, but it's still early too.

Who would be interested in a group build on the Mig… show of hands?!
(y)
I'm in on it! Not soon, though. Got a lot to accomplish before I can do it. I say start it up, get what takers you can get, and I'll join in when I'm able, even if it's after everyone else's maidens. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm in on it! Not soon, though. Got a lot to accomplish before I can do it. I say start it up, get what takers you can get, and I'll join in when I'm able, even if it's after everyone else's maidens. :)
I might get it going in the next couple of days, got a lot to do around the house right now. papers just got signed for sale so the little woman will be cracking whip around here to get cleaned up and ready for pictures. If I am caught sneakin away to build more planes she may have me sleepin with the dog.

OliverW

Legendary member
You should join now and get into it this year so they see your style of flying.
You could start in the basic level competition where you can fly any airplane in a fixed routine. Don't know if you plan on college, but AMA has college scholorships available to members.
I would like too but school starts in 2 days and the weather goes bad here in like 2 weeks...

L Edge

Master member
I would like too but school starts in 2 days and the weather goes bad here in like 2 weeks...

Noticed that the plane is bigger than you.

I took the incidence angle out of the Das Ugly Stik and you can see the white rudder is taller and the plane is bigger than my son. He used this plane for pattern competition at the ripe old age of 7 and always beat the adults, that is, including me!

IMG_0237(1).JPG

OliverW

Legendary member

I took the incidence angle out of the Das Ugly Stik and you can see the white rudder is taller and the plane is bigger than my son. He used this plane for pattern competition at the ripe old age of 7 and always beat the adults, that is, including me!

View attachment 141446
That is awesome! I am building a old pattern plane right now called the sig kobra

OliverW

Legendary member

View attachment 141446
Also to give you the idea of the size of my big plane I am 5'5"!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Flew my Bronco today, been pushing my talent limits with it and doing a lot of inverted passes and I got some more work to do, both on my skills and on the plane lol.
20190904_152317.jpg

Take a look at my control surfaces and you will see where I went south

PS couldn't find the "What did you crash today" thread