What Did You Fly Today

shadeyB

Legendary member
Took my Super Flanker out for 2nd run today
great time but didn’t end well 😂💥🔥

getting to know how she flies and had better feel for her response and what she does so did a little High Alpha over the trees lol bad mistake
my small park jets I’m happy high alpha at 1 foot above the ground and know exactly what to do with them so playing with a twin thrust vectoring less than 1 mistake high wasn’t the best choice lol 💀
she Tip stalled at the trees and yep ..... I panicked and forgot what to do Lol resulting in differently shaped foam board than when I left home this morning 😂💀💥🔥

Attachments

• 5E14FB89-AB19-44FC-B6AC-8F01C75BB95D.jpeg
    5E14FB89-AB19-44FC-B6AC-8F01C75BB95D.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member

getting to know how she flies and had better feel for her response and what she does so did a little High Alpha over the trees lol bad mistake
my small park jets I’m happy high alpha at 1 foot above the ground and know exactly what to do with them so playing with a twin thrust vectoring less than 1 mistake high wasn’t the best choice lol 💀
she Tip stalled at the trees and yep ..... I panicked and forgot what to do Lol resulting in differently shaped foam board than when I left home this morning 😂💀💥🔥

OUCH

Congrats on the successful maiden! Is is your first plane ever or just first FT build?

It was my first ever build! It's always been a dream of mine to get into the hobby, ever since I was a kid. I've had a few crappy airhogs foamys before ( would hardly consider them because of their lack of flying ability). but nothing like this. Finally realized my dream :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_230044.jpg
    IMG_20200525_230044.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Bummer! I need to make a twin thrust vectoring jet sometime - they seem awesome! :cool:

DazDaMan

Elite member
A couple of flights with the X-Twin and the Trojan tonight. I attempted a few aerobatics with the T-28, but with varying degrees of success - rolls aren't too easy with it, but a Split-S is easy! Just wish I had something to go after in a dogfight!

Attachments

• X-Twin flyby.png
    X-Twin flyby.png
    605.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Trojan sunset.png
    Trojan sunset.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A couple of flights with the X-Twin and the Trojan tonight. I attempted a few aerobatics with the T-28, but with varying degrees of success - rolls aren't too easy with it, but a Split-S is easy! Just wish I had something to go after in a dogfight!
The Trojan is a little sluggish in the rolls. I managed to get it inverted and fly around for a couple of circuts with it though!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The Trojan is a little sluggish in the rolls. I managed to get it inverted and fly around for a couple of circuts with it though!
That was my buddy's T-28 though. I put a 2s UMX brushless setup in mine and it's super fast! I honestly prefer the 1s setup though as it flies a lot slower and is one of the best backyard flyers for my backyard. I'm getting myself a brushed one shortly though.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member

Dang.:cry:

Nighthawk74

Hi I'm new here on FT :)

Yesterday I flew the UMX Radian (testing CG with a new battery) and the XK A100 J11. I don't recommend the A100 (not a stable flyer). It may be cheap but the quality is not good. I flew it with the stock transmitter so IDK if it flies better with a Futaba radio (they are compatible).

Today I will be flying the UMX Radian (still dialing it in) and the UMX Cessna 128 Skylane. The Cessna is a very cool looking scale model. I got it 3 years ago, but havent flown it more than 2 times. So just checking if the old bird still flies.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi I'm new here on FT :)

Yesterday I flew the UMX Radian (testing CG with a new battery) and the XK A100 J11. I don't recommend the A100 (not a stable flyer). It may be cheap but the quality is not good. I flew it with the stock transmitter so IDK if it flies better with a Futaba radio (they are compatible).

Today I will be flying the UMX Radian (still dialing it in) and the UMX Cessna 128 Skylane. The Cessna is a very cool looking scale model. I got it 3 years ago, but havent flown it more than 2 times. So just checking if the old bird still flies.
Welcome to the forums! What battery were you testing on the radian? I’ve got a bunch of UMX planes but I don’t have the radian or cessna - yet!

slowjo

Master member
Not a "flight" per se but it was pretty cool nonetheless. When I got this engine (it came with an airplane too) every square millimeter of it was coated with castor gunk and the guy said he never cleaned it even though it had a lot of runtime on it. After tearing it down and putting it through the ultrasonic cleaner I'd say it turned out pretty nice! Only part I had to replace was the head which had the plug threads stripped out. Fortunately my friend is a machinist's apprentice and he made me a new one. Cool guy!

This is on 20% S&W fuel which I put a touch of castor into because it's a really old engine. 8x4 propeller though this engine is probably happier on a 7x4. This engine already has quite a lot of time on it so peaking it out right away was probably fine. What you don't see here is me screwing with the carb for 20 minutes before I finally got it to idle down below like 4-5k rpm, and it sits happily at 2.5-3k now - Perry carbs are fine on bigger engines but on this it's just a no. I really don't know what their idea was with the weird, overly sensitive disk LSN they have here. The HSN is a little confusing too as it rotates with the carburetor barrel, but most of the time you only adjust it at full throttle so it isn't too bad. Surprisingly this is not using an idle bar plug even though I was pretty sure it would need one. I had to guess as to what to set the HSN at to start with and I got it totally wrong - you can see how rich I had it started at!

Here's the very weird, very old airplane it goes onto. According to the little placard on it it was built in 1999 (and the guy that built it is currently in his nineties and has a three-digit AMA number) It's held together very well - pretty much all I did was clean it and fix a little bit of tail damage it had. Just needs a reciever and a battery and I'll be airing it out soon enough!

View attachment 170128
played the engine vid and just enjoyed the music : )

slowjo

Master member
It was my first ever build! It's always been a dream of mine to get into the hobby, ever since I was a kid. I've had a few crappy airhogs foamys before ( would hardly consider them because of their lack of flying ability). but nothing like this. Finally realized my dream :)
congrats

Nighthawk74

Welcome to the forums! What battery were you testing on the radian? I’ve got a bunch of UMX planes but I don’t have the radian or cessna - yet!

Thanks for the welcome :)
I'm flying 200mAh 45c E-flite batteries. The shiny blue ones. They give me about a minute longer flight time with the throttle. Found the sweet spot with the battery. Had to extend the battery compartment aft. Just need to manually trim the control surfaces a little and it will be flying perfect.

The Cessna suprised me in a good way. It had plenty of power and with rudder assisted turns can be flown at a local ball park. I just need to figure out how to program my transmitter so I can get off SAFE mode :D In safe mode it reminds me of the Hobbyzone Champ, but with more oomph and control authority. I'm contemplating letting the kids fly it.