What Did You Fly Today

Vimana89

Legendary member
THAT LANDING! That is exactly how I want to land my 3d planes, when I've got the skill. Come in high-alpha and just set it down. I was enjoying all the tight flying you were doing, and mentally composing a glowing post about it, then that darn landing! That was just plain glorious! (y)(y)

You WERE flying really tight, and the plane handled it very well. From slow to fast, she stayed up there and you pulled her around again and again. Congratulations on good design! Well done! :)
Thanks, that means a lot! It was in some ways a very quick design to come up with, I really just took a straight edge to a sheet of foam with a general idea of what I wanted and cranked it out without much planning. That said, it was also the product of all the experiences I've had so far flying delta type planes and the bit of aileron experience I've acquired, plus me sort of slapping myself for not trying some simpler, less drastic delta styles earlier on. I'm very happy with how this one flies for how simple to build it is, and it has a nice profile in the air. It's the most forgiving and easy AET bird I've flown yet. I plan to polish this design up and fine tune it to the max while still keeping it light and simple.

Also, the landing was sort of a seat of the pants, go with the flow moment. My plane was coming into land a little faster than I wanted in an area where I really could have the best visual on it as it was landing, so I pulled up and flared it at the end with a little high alpha.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
the "Arrowhead"(my new delta). It now has a small horizontal stabilizer added like some of my previous delta experiments and it helps somewhat noticeably with stability and slower flight maneuvering, plus, you know...looks cool. I'm learning much better how to fly with ailerons, and this video will really show how low and slow it can go, as well as fast cruising! The low and slow stuff is in about the last third of the video. I noticed she can do a little high alpha, but not drastic. Good for landings and using a hint of it for extremely slow flying here and there.

build and flight testing thread here
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...elta-3ch-a-e-t-yank-n-bank.60373/#post-501240

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, anyone familiar with what those ugly prop noises are in the beginning? Is it just from using thin, flimsy, cheap props?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
What did I fly? Nothing, rain and wind and work and as for the next week?
☹️☹️☹️☹️
Screenshot_20190924-214149.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hoping to get that Spitfire beautiful!!!
I got some wind, but I fixed my spit and finished the ft-22 so once here is a break in the wind and I have time, I’ll practice some more on the spitfire and hope not to crash it. The other day I punched the throttle while coming in low and with the bad thrust angle and the EXTREME throws I give myself, I overcorrected an well, crashed... not too bad though - only a broken prop and a bent wingtip and needing a little glueing. Oh well. It happens. Hopefully that doesn’t happen to your spitfire!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I got some wind, but I fixed my spit and finished the ft-22 so once here is a break in the wind and I have time, I’ll practice some more on the spitfire and hope not to crash it. The other day I punched the throttle while coming in low and with the bad thrust angle and the EXTREME throws I give myself, I overcorrected an well, crashed... not too bad though - only a broken prop and a bent wingtip and needing a little glueing. Oh well. It happens. Hopefully that doesn’t happen to your spitfire!
I added down thrust, so here's hoping!!!
Glad you managed to repair yours .

L Edge

Master member
the "Arrowhead"(my new delta). It now has a small horizontal stabilizer added like some of my previous delta experiments and it helps somewhat noticeably with stability and slower flight maneuvering, plus, you know...looks cool. I'm learning much better how to fly with ailerons, and this video will really show how low and slow it can go, as well as fast cruising! The low and slow stuff is in about the last third of the video. I noticed she can do a little high alpha, but not drastic. Good for landings and using a hint of it for extremely slow flying here and there.

build and flight testing thread here
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...elta-3ch-a-e-t-yank-n-bank.60373/#post-501240

How does it handle in winds? What about gusts?

Vimana89

Legendary member
How does it handle in winds? What about gusts?
I will let you know when I get a bit more comfortable and fly it in some slightly stronger winds. This is a 20"span by24" chord +tail for about 30" overall length with no airfoil, so probably wouldn't do well in particularly strong winds. But a slight wind did start to pick up, particularly as I was slow flying it yesterday, and I really didn't notice.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Alright. So I just tested the Arrowhead in some wind today. I checked the weather forecast, it reads 9 mph, but even in a span of minutes, it fluctuated up and down a bit from that. I'd say 9 mph was about the baseline for most of the flight(s) though. Here's a meme that's appropriate for the occasion...
1569455952589.png

I had one crash that caused no damage, and it happened turning at lower speed. The handling is a bit more turbulent in wind and gusts, but overall stable. The effects of the wind, even at 9mph, are markedly less noticeable on high to full throttle, cruising fast with nose level. Slightly slower passes are possibly in the wind, but when turning, a good amount of throttle must be applied or the wind will make the turns turbulent and cause a stall. It was a bit sketchy at first, but some of the sketch was my inexperience as a pilot. I don't fly in wind often. Once I got the hang of it, it really wasn't too bad, and was still quite enjoyable to fly, and very stable. This is at "mighty mini" size range and light weight with an 1806 motor. This plane, scaled up with a KFM air foil and strong motor, would a be a solid windy day flyer for sure. Video of windy flying to come soon.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nothing!!!! 54kph winds! Grrrrr
Bummer... tonight there was NO wind. Took advantage of the weather to fly the spitfire. What a great bird! Flew it off the b pack cause my c pack was in the ft-22 I maidened today. It definitely has less power but it was totally flyable. Did a lot of inverted low passes and circuits. Landed my pack 6 min in and my cells of my 1500 zippy 3s were still at like 3.9! I was flying at close to full throttle most of the time too! @BATTLEAXE here is a pic of my spit. Not the prettiest, but she still flies great!

Attachments

• 4BE81788-429E-410D-A606-BBD39DAC6FB4.jpeg
    4BE81788-429E-410D-A606-BBD39DAC6FB4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Bummer... tonight there was NO wind. Took advantage of the weather to fly the spitfire. What a great bird! Flew it off the b pack cause my c pack was in the ft-22 I maidened today. It definitely has less power but it was totally flyable. Did a lot of inverted low passes and circuits. Landed my pack 6 min in and my cells of my 1500 zippy 3s were still at like 3.9! I was flying at close to full throttle most of the time too! @BATTLEAXE here is a pic of my spit. Not the prettiest, but she still flies great!
She is in good shape man, have you thought of painting it?

It is a sweet bird to fly, I miss mine. I still haven't been able to maiden the P-40 yet either, weather looks like wind and rain thru to the weekend :mad:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
She is in good shape man, have you thought of painting it?

It is a sweet bird to fly, I miss mine. I still haven't been able to maiden the P-40 yet either, weather looks like wind and rain thru to the weekend :mad:
It’s actually white dtfb spray painted brown😂. I did pick a brown that was too dark though... I drew camouflage that was way too complicated and never painted, so sometime here I’ll touch up some of the areas that the paint rubbed off of and then redo the camouflage and paint it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I flew the Arrowhead some more this morning, more for fun than testing anything. This video, however, is from yesterday, when I tested the plane's wind resistance. This is a short clip showing the last couple passes, landing approach, and landing in 9+ MPH winds with gusts. I'll have a nice edited compilation of the wind flying up soon.