What Did You Fly Today

Timmy

Legendary member
MAIDENED THE GUINEA YESTERDAY! woooo! It flew really well. Unfortunatly the aileron and esc wires came out of the receiver and I crashed. I should have used rudder but..oh well, I didn't. Fortunately I was only about two meters of the ground and It has no real damage. What did get damaged was the side of the nose where the prop hit it when the firewall popped out. Oh yeah and the elastics broke. No biggie. Today I will maiden the arrow and put two motors on my bronco and fly that.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
MAIDENED THE GUINEA YESTERDAY! woooo! It flew really well. Unfortunatly the aileron and esc wires came out of the receiver and I crashed. I should have used rudder but..oh well, I didn't. Fortunately I was only about two meters of the ground and It has no real damage. What did get damaged was the side of the nose where the prop hit it when the firewall popped out. Oh yeah and the elastics broke. No biggie. Today I will maiden the arrow and put two motors on my bronco and fly that.
I like to wrap the connectors in tape so they don't pull out

Timmy

Legendary member
Guinea prop scar:
P1130805.JPG

Fire wall damage:
P1130807.JPG

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I think I've got most of the bugs worked out of this one. She flies really good now! You can see the aileron trim though - I think that's because both the engine and fuel tank are offset to the right slightly, so I'm gonna ballast the left wing to make up for it. I noticed it wants to roll the other way at high speed with trim added and it tends to dip the right wing in turns, so I'm sure it's not an aerodynamic problem...

P_20200709_141934.jpg

I also got the Saito 91 mounted on my old Kadet. Maybe it doesn't need new covering after all. Didn't fly it though because it needs nose weight.

However immediately after I did the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life which resulted in me stripping the plug threads after I'd ran the thing one damn time. ONE DAMN TIME. The material they make these heads out of is way too soft. Helicoil time I guess. I can't say this is the first brand new engine I've broken either...

P_20200709_162135.jpg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think I've got most of the bugs worked out of this one. She flies really good now! You can see the aileron trim though - I think that's because both the engine and fuel tank are offset to the right slightly, so I'm gonna ballast the left wing to make up for it. I noticed it wants to roll much more at high speed with trim added and it tends to dip the right wing in turns, so I'm sure it's not an aerodynamic problem...

View attachment 174088

I also got the Saito 91 mounted on my old Kadet. Maybe it doesn't need new covering after all. Didn't fly it though because it needs nose weight.

However immediately after I did the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life which resulted in me stripping the plug threads after I'd ran the thing one damn time. ONE DAMN TIME. The material they make these heads out of is way too soft. Helicoil time I guess. I can't say this is the first brand new engine I've broken either...

View attachment 174089

Thats a big motor but remember you aint wrenchin on a hemi hehee. TINY TOOLS ONLY!!!
Good luck on the repair mate I know that sux when you have things like that go wrong.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Thats a big motor but remember you aint wrenchin on a hemi hehee. TINY TOOLS ONLY!!!
Good luck on the repair mate I know that sux when you have things like that go wrong.
The most concern I have is how to get the hole drilled out straight. Saitos have an angled plug because of the valves... Oh well. I violated the golden rule of glow plugs which is START THREADING IT WITH YOUR FINGERS! That ought to tell you if she's cross threaded... and not doing it cost me dearly.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
An old mechanics trick I learned EARLY in my mechanical happenings as a kid from my grandfather was to turn any threaded item be it screw, bolt, spark plug, light bulb backwards until you feel the first thread fall in line and you will never cross thread or strip threads again.

That is unless you get hamfisted with the wrong size tools and over torque things.

Figure out the angle of the plug then cut a piece of wood to match, screw the head to the wood where the hole will be vertical and then use a drill press.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
An old mechanics trick I learned EARLY in my mechanical happenings as a kid from my grandfather was to turn any threaded item be it screw, bolt, spark plug, light bulb backwards until you feel the first thread fall in line and you will never cross thread or strip threads again.

That is unless you get hamfisted with the wrong size tools and over torque things.

Figure out the angle of the plug then cut a piece of wood to match, screw the head to the wood where the hole will be vertical and then use a drill press.
Thanks for the tip! I've stripped many an M2 bolt by not doing that.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I think I've got most of the bugs worked out of this one. She flies really good now! You can see the aileron trim though - I think that's because both the engine and fuel tank are offset to the right slightly, so I'm gonna ballast the left wing to make up for it. I noticed it wants to roll the other way at high speed with trim added and it tends to dip the right wing in turns, so I'm sure it's not an aerodynamic problem...

View attachment 174088

View attachment 174089
What's your lateral balance like ?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I often leave myself a bit of extra lead (by using servo extensions) and then that way there isn't any tightness in the wire. Also, I'll rotate the receiver so if for some reason a wire gets pulled, it doesn't pull the wire out at all.