What Did You Fly Today

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I am impressed on your flying with the electric EDF.
So now you new goal is start saving your money to buy your real turbine in a year or so. They are designing a small turbine jet that has wingspan of 54 inches and a length of 56 inches. It is estimated that it will weigh 6 3/4 lb and will have a 20-30 newton turbine set!!!!!!
Brakes are included.
My club field doesn't allow them unfortunately. The nearest place I could fly it would be the north Yorkshire model flying club who use an RAF base for flying at. It's too far to go. I will have to be content with EDFs for the moment :)

L Edge

Master member
Being pylon racing sounds a lot like NASCAR. But I am confused as to how the weight on the outer wing works...?

It is NASCAR of the air. Go left, deal with dirty air and wind gusts while turning and speeds between 180-200. We even use scotch tape to stop leaks between the wing and wing saddle that disturbed the airflow and drag.

It is all about tricks. Simple answer-- When you turn the wings up 90 degrees and pull on the elevator and say it starts to lose altitude, it not balanced dynamically. So you take a dime and tape it on the edge of the upper wing behind the CG and make your run and you keep moving it away from the CG until that turn is perfect. What your doing is pulling the upper wing back compared to the bottom so it make the turn not losing any altitude. Then slice a hole in the side of the wing and epoxy the dime in the wing.
If the plane climbs in the turn, do the opposite, put the coin in front of the CG.
If you feel real comfortable with the setup, just do your knife edge all the way down(2-3 secs) and then turn.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It is NASCAR of the air. Go left, deal with dirty air and wind gusts while turning and speeds between 180-200. We even use scotch tape to stop leaks between the wing and wing saddle that disturbed the airflow and drag.

It is all about tricks. Simple answer-- When you turn the wings up 90 degrees and pull on the elevator and say it starts to lose altitude, it not balanced dynamically. So you take a dime and tape it on the edge of the upper wing behind the CG and make your run and you keep moving it away from the CG until that turn is perfect. What your doing is pulling the upper wing back compared to the bottom so it make the turn not losing any altitude. Then slice a hole in the side of the wing and epoxy the dime in the wing.
If the plane climbs in the turn, do the opposite, put the coin in front of the CG.
If you feel real comfortable with the setup, just do your knife edge all the way down(2-3 secs) and then turn.
That is sick dynamics of weight advantage man. So once balanced on the knife edge so there is no loss or gain of altitude you are dialed in to stay on a knife edge. What about pull to gear or canopy, just a trim of the elevator?

JClaude

Hi guys,

My FT Edge 540 flew for the first time yesterday afternoon. I was worried, because its weight in flight order is 1050gr (2.3 lbs). But this plane is awesome, the overweight does not bother. Despite the crosswind, it flies like on rails. Although the center of gravity noted on the drawing has been respected, it seems to me “tail heavy”. But, the stall is very smooth, and the spins are a treat.

. IMG_20200716_193321.jpg
Photo taken some hours before maiden.

Blue skies

Yusernaym

I can second that on the edge being underpowered with a pack c. Mine never flew perfectly due to being a little tail heavy, and heavy in general, and needing a lot of speed to stay up. It was a lot of fun to fly, but a little stressful, as I never knew if I'd be able to get it back down safely. The build was a lot of fun, and I got a lot of compliments at the field. It has since given up all of its electronics to various other projects, but I liked it when it was still working, and recommend it, though a little more power is a good idea. Basically, if you build it light with the right motor, it'll be great.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
where do u land B.A.
That was my conundrum when I got there, never thought that through. Don't wanna land on the rocks or the water for obvious reasons. There are patches of shrubs on the side that are anywhere from waist to chest height, that was the softest place i could find to belly land, then try to slow down and flare as much as it will allow so it just drops onto the bushes. Some landings were better then others but not as forgiving as grassy fields. It did survive it all though.

Just got back from another river run so that vid will be up tomorrow at the latest.

basslord1124

Master member
Not so much today...BUT yesterday, I gave the FT Simple Cub, FT Tiny Trainer, Bloody Baron, KFM Wing, and Seaduck some airtime. Captured most of them on video, and will get them uploaded to youtube.

Only damage was a hard hit landing with the Simple Cub that bent the landing gear....no biggie. I know it's not just me, but the Cub has been an awkward little flyer...seems to have yaw when I don't apply it...makes me wonder if it's a thrust thing. I know I'm also tempted to put a larger wing on it too. Also had kind of a tough landing with the Bloody Baron, but I don't think it really caused any damage...man that's a fun little plane!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Not so much today...BUT yesterday, I gave the FT Simple Cub, FT Tiny Trainer, Bloody Baron, KFM Wing, and Seaduck some airtime. Captured most of them on video, and will get them uploaded to youtube.

Only damage was a hard hit landing with the Simple Cub that bent the landing gear....no biggie. I know it's not just me, but the Cub has been an awkward little flyer...seems to have yaw when I don't apply it...makes me wonder if it's a thrust thing. I know I'm also tempted to put a larger wing on it too. Also had kind of a tough landing with the Bloody Baron, but I don't think it really caused any damage...man that's a fun little plane!
That's a big cast you had with you today... musta needed the fly time buddy. Happy you got out and looking forward to the vid

daxian

Elite member
had a need to fly ..weather was peachy so i took out one of the few shop bought models in my hanger..the AXN!
just a few short hops to make sure it was dialed in to the new radio (was originally on the fsi6 ,now on the qx7,with a 4in1 module)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Awesome build and flies great, but is underpowered with a FT radial for hardcore 3D stuff. I'm using a rimfire .15 3536 1200kv and a 12x3.8 prop on 3s in mine and it's perfect.
Even with the radial using say 9*6 e prop on a 4S?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
had a need to fly ..weather was peachy so i took out one of the few shop bought models in my hanger..the AXN!
just a few short hops to make sure it was dialed in to the new radio (was originally on the fsi6 ,now on the qx7,with a 4in1 module)
They fly so easily those AXN's, really popular pushers. I think I am the only one who hasn't had one. You know they will take off from the grass just as easily as they land there, or save yourself all the walking and taxi it over to yourself.

How to you like the QX7 multi protocol radio?

Timmy

Legendary member
Awesome build and flies great, but is underpowered with a FT radial for hardcore 3D stuff. I'm using a rimfire .15 3536 1200kv and a 12x3.8 prop on 3s in mine and it's perfect.
I can second that on the edge being underpowered with a pack c. Mine never flew perfectly due to being a little tail heavy, and heavy in general, and needing a lot of speed to stay up. It was a lot of fun to fly, but a little stressful, as I never knew if I'd be able to get it back down safely. The build was a lot of fun, and I got a lot of compliments at the field. It has since given up all of its electronics to various other projects, but I liked it when it was still working, and recommend it, though a little more power is a good idea. Basically, if you build it light with the right motor, it'll be great.
I agree with @The Hangar , It flies awesome but needs POWER! I flew it off of a 880kv 2216 and it kinda sucked. You need a big motor for this build.
Thanks!

L Edge

Master member
That is sick dynamics of weight advantage man. So once balanced on the knife edge so there is no loss or gain of altitude you are dialed in to stay on a knife edge. What about pull to gear or canopy, just a trim of the elevator?

It's included in the trim for it's entire shape. Cross winds are your only problem. I usually fly at about 25 ft high. My son tunes it up flying between 5 and 15 ft high at that speed. He has the magic touch.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's included in the trim for it's entire shape. Cross winds are your only problem. I usually fly at about 25 ft high. My son tunes it up flying between 5 and 15 ft high at that speed. He has the magic touch.
How fast does he get going, has he been clocked?

daxian

Elite member
They fly so easily those AXN's, really popular pushers. I think I am the only one who hasn't had one. You know they will take off from the grass just as easily as they land there, or save yourself all the walking and taxi it over to yourself.

How to you like the QX7 multi protocol radio?
yes i know they take off or slide on the grass ..but walking to pick it up is the nearest thing to exercise i get these days lol !!
very pleased with the qx7 and the 4 in 1 module ...bit of a learning curve at first ..now it comes second nature .