What Did You Fly Today

OliverW

Legendary member
Time to go flying!
20210116_083342.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Had internet issues at home over the last few days so still playing catch on up posts after my days off.
I went flying on Friday although it was very cold, My Tiny Trainer made its maiden with the new Radiomaster receiver and transmitter set up. Initially it was a little wild, as it had higher control rates than with the original Futaba setup. So landed it and checked all the control surfaces before I reset the controls to mid rate, which was a lot more manageable on a cold day (I was flying with a pair of mitts on, it was that cold). After trimming it and flying a few circuits I brought it back in for a landing and broke another prop on the ice :mad:.
Time for the Tiny Cub to fly, set my controls mid rates based on the Tiny Trainers performance. Initially I set the throittle to half way but felt it wasn't enough so took it to 3/4 and launched it.
It soared off like a rocket with a left hand trajectory so immediately compensated with right hand rudder (its a 3ch). It struggled to strighten and didn't appear to want to go right unless I held the stick well over to the right. My immediate thought was I need some thrust angle adding, A) the climb was quite steep and B) the pull to the left was significant.
However, my next thought waqs how to get this fella down in one piece, having gained enough right turn I could now bring it left again and then swing into the wind. Unfortunately I misjudged and dropped the throttle too early before I got into the wind, the plane slowed too much and I got a wing tip stall and the plane had lost too much altitude to add throttle. So the landing was a little unconventional one wheel and a nose in the dirt. Good news itr was all in one piece ready for some motor mods.
Glad both flights where brief to be honest, as my fingers where in pain they where that cold. It took me 20 minutes to thaw out when I finally got home.
Good news the smaller motor and prop will be fine on the Cub plenty of power, I just need to get some thrust angles added before my next flight.

Hoomi

Master member
The temperature was about 30 degrees F when I arrived at the flying field at 7:30 this morning. Got things unlocked and set up for the day, then put the Nano S2 heli up for a flight, while there was no wind. Two flights today on the Tiny Trainer, and one flight each on the Explorer, Storch, Versawing, Scout (on FPV), Bushwacker, and Stinger. No issues or mishaps today.
Hangar01172021.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The temperature was about 30 degrees F when I arrived at the flying field at 7:30 this morning. Got things unlocked and set up for the day, then put the Nano S2 heli up for a flight, while there was no wind. Two flights today on the Tiny Trainer, and one flight each on the Explorer, Storch, Versawing, Scout (on FPV), Bushwacker, and Stinger. No issues or mishaps today.
View attachment 189480
I love that picture. Sunshine, warmth and freedom. While the rest of us are stuck indoors due to Civid isolation and sub zero conditions causing frost bite, depression.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
We had the police driving down our Street this evening, they have started handing out fines to anyone caught out of there homes without a valid excuse, part of the Government isolation program.
1984 its the begining of big brother watching you. By the way that's not a Hardy boy's book either.