What Did You Fly Today

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The more I fly the more I realize, I'm more of a low and slow guy rather than a speed guy. I like slow stable stuff. It's still nice to go fast once in a while 😜
That's a hard question for me to answer! I'm a big fan of bush flying, but recently I've really really enjoying the mini nemesis on 4s which is just insanely fast for it's size! But I think my favorite type of flying is the big 3D stuff - it's just such a special type of expierence!

danskis

Master member
The Gentle Lady has a 2 meter wingspan. Its not uncommon to get these planes so high up in a thermal that they just disappear. In fact thats one of the skills of flying small gliders is to know when high enough is high enough so you can still get it back. @SquirrelTail - what are you using for an altimeter or is it a variometer?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
The Gentle Lady has a 2 meter wingspan. Its not uncommon to get these planes so high up in a thermal that they just disappear. In fact thats one of the skills of flying small gliders is to know when high enough is high enough so you can still get it back. @SquirrelTail - what are you using for an altimeter or is it a variometer?
That is a gigantic glider! I am looking forward to later making a bird of time from foam ofr a power pack a.

danskis

Master member
I found a pic of my Gentle Lady. This was one of my first planes when I started 2 years ago. A guy in the glider club gave it to me along with the motor and esc. I had to cover the fuselage and tail surfaces and cut the nose off (it was unpowered at the time) and put the motor on. The wing is not original and someone else gave me that wing (which flys a lot better)

Attachments

• gentle lady.jpg
    gentle lady.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0

L Edge

Master member
I got one thermal that brought me from 150' up to 600', and then no lift after that

1) Get yourself a folding prop for the "Lady". It greatly improves L/D which allows you to stay up there using the wind.
2) Get yourself an altimeter and you will be surprised how many pilots don't know altitude when there are no references. I always pick around 1000 ft to 2000 ft. By the way, doesn't matter what color you make it, the bottom is black. Use reflective material on top only one wing so I can tell in a turn which way I am going when sun is out..

danskis

Master member
Gotta agree with L edge - If you don't already have one a folding prop will totally change the way that plane flys and use a motor brake.

OliverW

Legendary member
I wish I knew exactly how high it went. I eyeballs it more than anything after my friend flew a plane to 600' based off the altimeter through his FPV goggles, and the GL looked like it was at a similar altitude

OliverW

Legendary member
1) Get yourself a folding prop for the "Lady". It greatly improves L/D which allows you to stay up there using the wind.
2) Get yourself an altimeter and you will be surprised how many pilots don't know altitude when there are no references. I always pick around 1000 ft to 2000 ft. By the way, doesn't matter what color you make it, the bottom is black. Use reflective material on top only one wing so I can tell in a turn which way I am going when sun is out..
Yeah I thought about getting a folding prop but I just don't have the funds for one. My 30cc Yak took all my spare change lol

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
how big IS a 30cc plane? never seen a gas plane, and do nto know the sizes, as I have been building the power pack a sized planes for now.