What Did You Fly Today

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Maiden of my second 3D printed fuselage. It flew ok but it had little control authority on the V tail, need more work in the bench to adjust it.
Flew a couple times with the Pawnee to test flaperons. And a few batteries with the first 3D fuselage. If flew so good with the ailerons wing that I played with it well into the night. View attachment 197815 View attachment 197816 View attachment 197817 View attachment 197818 View attachment 197819 View attachment 197820
Is that a 3D printed folding prop?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yes, it is 3D printed from this link.
I printed the hub at 100% infill and the blades at 30% infill (by mistake). So far broken 2 blades (at the root) on hard landings, when I eventually run out of blades I will print them at 100% infill.
I actually have the files downloaded for those already. I’m glad to hear they work well, that makes me more hopeful for trying them! What did you use for the hinging part - is it a certain size of bolt?

mdcerdan

Elite member
I actually have the files downloaded for those already. I’m glad to hear they work well, that makes me more hopeful for trying them! What did you use for the hinging part - is it a certain size of bolt?

The two blades are secured with M3x15 screws, enlarged one hole of the support with a 3mm end mill and threaded the other one. The center hole of the hub is 5mm in diameter.
I have tested the 9x6 blades with a 2212 930KV and a 2212 1000KV motors. So far so good. Just make sure to balance it properly.
Thrust was about 450g (can remember exact value now) on 3S on the 930KV motor. Enough for a 650g motor glider.

L Edge

Master member
Been over a year since I flew my 3D plane. Rusty with the fingers as well as putting the battery in a wrong position for 3D stuff. Attempted invert, knife edge, part of rolling circle and hovering. See what a light and properly designed plane can do to learn 3D stuff. Need to
put some time in to get back in shape.

DazDaMan

Elite member
I flew some of my little 2-channel birds today - the Cub, the FlyBear and the X-Twin. Great fun. I kinda wish some of the other guys at the club would have a go, as they take a bit of getting used to - and dogfighting would be interesting!

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I flew the Q-10 glider today and caught some thermals. I had a hard landing though, and when I got home and checked it out, I found that the wood that the wing bolts onto had become de-glued from the fuselage. I will need to replace that, I thought, and next thing I know, I am telling myself everything needs to be replaced. The servos, control horns, pushrods. I did a poor job on assembly and hot glued everything in there like it was a foamboard airplane. It deserves better. I stripped the fuse of everything. Now I have only one airplane in my hangar that is flyable.
That piece of wood goes inside the fuse.
IMG_20210414_143721[1].jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
maiden this morning before work. it was a little breezy so i was a little nervous but plane was rock solid. took off nice and easy, only needed 2 clicks of down to trim, then checked CG by rolling inverted into a climb and it held the line almost perfect. not only does it fly well, it looks gorgeous in the sky. one of the biggest surprises was the flaps. very rarely do you get your flap settings correct on the first try but this one i nailed. with take off flaps the plane wants to jump into the air and with landing flaps the thing almost stops mid air but maintains control. simply amazing, i thought for sure it was about to tip stall on me but nope, just floated down for a perfect touch down.

once again for a sub $200 warbird this thing is amazing. makes me want to get a few of the other models they make now.

Arrows F8F Bearcat from Hobby Zone
20210413_180433.jpg

i will fly it as is for now but the plan is to turn it into a "Rare Bear" speed demon at some point.

laters,

me :cool:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I will say @MiniacRC you know how to design these planes man. Had this one sitting around for awhile waiting patiently for a motor system and the planet finally aligned to make it possible. Or I just get off my lazy a$$ and get my ducks in a row. Either way I love this plane, great job on the design, thank you for your contribution to the hobby.

The FW190 is soon to come

L Edge

Master member
Flew my version of a swept wing. Wing is 32" wide and uses a 8 x 3/8 prop.

It has been re-designed to give it yaw control and reduced drag. Goal was too stabilize wing so it can be flown in a small area at low altitudes and still fly fast or slow in or out of wind.

Today's flight was done in very low winds to explore the flight environment. I used the rudder at all times to see what it can do. Next will come the gusty conditions of wind and see if I can duplicate low flying in a tight area fast and slow without dumping it. Sorry if my hat cam didn't follow at times.
\

shadeyB

Legendary member
Had an awesome week so far, the weather has been fantastic

Attachments

• 1ADA9363-D99E-4580-8D2B-7A90C00E41AD.jpeg
    1ADA9363-D99E-4580-8D2B-7A90C00E41AD.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 309CAACC-FD8D-45DA-9471-7219A8DB6E4F.jpeg
    309CAACC-FD8D-45DA-9471-7219A8DB6E4F.jpeg
    844.6 KB · Views: 0
  • CCB39D8D-C76B-49E8-83AE-AF8C9C87AC0D.jpeg
    CCB39D8D-C76B-49E8-83AE-AF8C9C87AC0D.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • 9AC24958-9EC7-4CD3-849D-49F1126D42BC.jpeg
    9AC24958-9EC7-4CD3-849D-49F1126D42BC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

slowjo

Master member
I will say @MiniacRC you know how to design these planes man. Had this one sitting around for awhile waiting patiently for a motor system and the planet finally aligned to make it possible. Or I just get off my lazy a$$ and get my ducks in a row. Either way I love this plane, great job on the design, thank you for your contribution to the hobby.

The FW190 is soon to come
nice video

Wildthing

Legendary member
Had the nitros out today, had a maiden to do on the Maddness and FourStar planes. Madness flies really good for having such a thick airfoil, the FourStar I could get it to run the way I liked and I didn't have a spare glow plug to try so it got put to the side. I did two flights each for the Extra and Madness plus one maiden on a combat plane. Nice smooth landings, probably my best day for landings )D .

2021_0415_001857_001.JPG
2021_0415_001906_002.JPG
2021_0415_001917_003.JPG

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
got some pics sent to me today.

bearcat1.jpg

i do have some landing gear planes but typically steer away due to multiple reasons. i am very happy to report that they scored a 8/10 on these. they are simple, they are strong enough, and wheels are appropriate. only thing that would make it a 9 or 10 would be a little more forward sweep. it is really wants to nose in on power, you need to be aware or bring spare props.

bearcat2.jpg

on the second flight i thought something looked wrong. on a low pass i was able to see why.

bearcat3.jpg

it was no issue. flew it down leg and then in for landing. the canopy blew off just before touchdown.

thanks again to "L" for the awesome pics. (y)

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Maiden and second flight with the new old 4 stroke nitro plane called Madness. That Enya 60 4 stroke runs like a charm and I just love the sound of it. No muffler on it which means no exhaust pressure either to the fuel tank, I could do a vertical until it was out of sight and didn't skip a beat.