What Did You Fly Today

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
View attachment 203873 First flight with my new radiomaster. I was excited to try out flaperons on Lucky the baby blender. I messed something up because a little aileron trim gets larger with flaps down. I also wanted to try a new 3512 and 12x6 prop. Ive named him Lucky because last time I landed hard in the dark and the rubber bands holding the gear on fell off. I assumed they broke so I took the gear off and threw him without considering the big change in CG. But he survived! Besides just how twitchy the thing is by nature. Here is yesterdays video. https://odysee.com/@Scotto:7/Luckybipe:9 Spoiler alert. The prop landed in the short grass. Didnt even have to hunt for it! Roughed up the shaft with sandpaper for some friction. Lesson learned.
Nice to see more people finally getting into Radiomaster transmitters. I finally sold my Spektrum DX6i last week it wont be missed, I fly all my planes with my TX16s these days.
I am planning to buy a second TX16s for my son at some point this year, which can also double up as a spare (once I have some spare cash).
Nice plane by the way. Sadly I never got around to building a baby blender, I've got a bit of regret now.

Scotto

Elite member
Thanks Bisco. Ya its my backyard. It'll be better next year. Soybeans instead of corn. I lost my sport cub s2 in the corn last week.:cry: It feels like I let the puppy out to potty and left it for dead out in the rain and dark:cry:. Thanks IanT. Lots to learn on that radio for sure, but way more freedom. The baby blender is a little squirrelly for my nerves. I think Im going to expand the top wing with some dihedral and maybe try on some slats.

bisco

Elite member
i lost a 6' glider in a cornfield in new hampshire a few decades ago. 20 guys out searching for hours. no one could believe it, and it never turned up.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have recently been moving some my models out of my attic, as I am having a new roof fitted to the house starting this week. My first concern was the safety of my planes which hang in my attic. Some are now already at my mothers house in a spare bedroom others are hanging from my bedroom wall.
Obviously I cant move them all, but I have managed to re-home and store the more expensive and sentimental planes. I have had nightmares about the roofers putting there feet through the roof and demolishing some of my beloved planes hanging there.
Hopefully the roof will be finished in around a week, I can then get back to normal and catch up on some un-interrupted sleep too.

bisco

Elite member
what are the advantages of radiomaster over spectrum? i've had a dx6 for almost a year now with no issues that i am aware of, other than i can't update because i don't have a windows machine

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
what are the advantages of radiomaster over spectrum? i've had a dx6 for almost a year now with no issues that i am aware of, other than i can't update because i don't have a windows machine
I could rant on for hours about how good Radiomaster is, but I will only get slated by the Spektrum die hard's.
So I suggest you read up about Radiomaster (Open TX transmitters in general) and watch as many you tube reviews as possible and form your own opinion.
Open Tx isn't for everyone, it takes a little common sense getting your head around how it operates. However, once you do understand the principles and get use to the operating system, the functionality is very liberating and enjoyable to use.

Flyingshark

Master member
Radiomasters do more than one protocol so you can buy whatever receiver you want for the plane and still bind it to the TX. They also have more channels at a cheaper price than Spektrum and are more customizable in software because they use OpenTX.

I use a Spektrum DX6e, and I haven't had any issues with it. I also haven't registered or updated it, although that's mostly because I don't care about being registered. The main difference between Spektrum and Radiomaster is the pricing. I think I heard that non-Spektrum transmitters have trouble activating SAFE on BNF planes, but I'm not sure.

It's like choosing between a Mac, and something that runs Linux. It's also a very heated and polarized debate, when it starts. IMO both have their advantages.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
big day today. re-maiden the twin legacy, flew the PA Addiction, and maiden the new FT A-10. the A-10 was all that really mattered though. :p

i had spent prob way too much time on this plane and was a little questionable on how well it would fly. seemed pretty heavy and big for what it was packing. i figured it would fly but not great. i had set my dual rates at my typical percentages and felt pretty confident they would be good. we lined up for the first launch, i had it in med rates (75%), and about 3/4 throttle, i say go and it get's thrown. it immediatly started to nose down and i knew pretty quick i'd did not have what i needed to pull out, so just cut throttle and put back onto the ground a little hard.

at this point i was really starting to think i may have spent way too much time... :unsure:

picked the plane up, all looked good but one of the glue seams on the left wing nacelle was a little split. i decide it will be just fine, it is gonna fly or die. i set elevator to full 100% rate @30 expo and we lined up again.

this time i went full throttle and yelled for the launch. took off like a dream, the plane almost pulled him up with it. :LOL:

it took multiple clicks of trim, up, left, and left rudder, but once in it was amazing. it also makes the most iconic scream! you could hear every throttle change like you were in the cockpit.

once it was cool, we took it up to see how slow it could go. again, pretty amazing . i was able to easily hold at sub 1/3 throttle esp if flying into the wind. i would guess 20-25mph. after that success i took a few low passes for pics then lined up for the landing.

it does not glide, do not cut throttle short of field and think you are gonna make it. but, a little throttle management and it landed at a snails pace. it was so slow it did no further damage to an already damaged plane. :love:

so, repairs have been made, re-enforcements done where needed, and will fly again tomorrow.

a-10 awesome.jpg

and as always, thank you L for the amazing pics!

laters,

me :cool:

big day today. re-maiden the twin legacy, flew the PA Addiction, and maiden the new FT A-10. the A-10 was all that really mattered though. :p

i had spent prob way too much time on this plane and was a little questionable on how well it would fly. seemed pretty heavy and big for what it was packing. i figured it would fly but not great. i had set my dual rates at my typical percentages and felt pretty confident they would be good. we lined up for the first launch, i had it in med rates (75%), and about 3/4 throttle, i say go and it get's thrown. it immediatly started to nose down and i knew pretty quick i'd did not have what i needed to pull out, so just cut throttle and put back onto the ground a little hard.

at this point i was really starting to think i may have spent way too much time... :unsure:

picked the plane up, all looked good but one of the glue seams on the left wing nacelle was a little split. i decide it will be just fine, it is gonna fly or die. i set elevator to full 100% rate @30 expo and we lined up again.

this time i went full throttle and yelled for the launch. took off like a dream, the plane almost pulled him up with it. :LOL:

it took multiple clicks of trim, up, left, and left rudder, but once in it was amazing. it also makes the most iconic scream! you could hear every throttle change like you were in the cockpit.

once it was cool, we took it up to see how slow it could go. again, pretty amazing . i was able to easily hold at sub 1/3 throttle esp if flying into the wind. i would guess 20-25mph. after that success i took a few low passes for pics then lined up for the landing.

it does not glide, do not cut throttle short of field and think you are gonna make it. but, a little throttle management and it landed at a snails pace. it was so slow it did no further damage to an already damaged plane. :love:

so, repairs have been made, re-enforcements done where needed, and will fly again tomorrow.

View attachment 203884

and as always, thank you L for the amazing pics!

laters,

It looks amazing. So glad it flies amazing too.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
also got these of my Draco/Scrappy Inspired Legacy. need to check and see if all servos can handle 9V from the BEC, the wing tip lights are kinda dim @ 6v.

this was only it's 3rd flight. the first 2 were ok but lights were amazing bright and should have hinted the BEC was bad and supplying way to much voltage. :rolleyes: now that the external (adjustable) 20A/3-12V BEC is doing what is supposed to and not frying servos i think we can have some fun with this thing.

this time it flew great, but still have some flap work to do. it has pretty extreme jack-flaps so need to dial in some mixing.

JS2.jpg

JS3.jpg

JS4.jpg

JS5.jpg

good to get it flying again.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Radiomasters do more than one protocol so you can buy whatever receiver you want for the plane and still bind it to the TX. They also have more channels at a cheaper price than Spektrum and are more customizable in software because they use OpenTX.

I use a Spektrum DX6e, and I haven't had any issues with it. I also haven't registered or updated it, although that's mostly because I don't care about being registered. The main difference between Spektrum and Radiomaster is the pricing. I think I heard that non-Spektrum transmitters have trouble activating SAFE on BNF planes, but I'm not sure.

It's like choosing between a Mac, and something that runs Linux. It's also a very heated and polarized debate, when it starts. IMO both have their advantages.
I completely concur with what you said, you summed it up perfectly.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Maiden & flight #2 for my Goblin, came home in one piece so all good there :) . Flies good once up to speed but at lower speeds roll is really twitchy, might add some wing tips to see it will help out. If that doesn't work I will build another with a straight wing.