What Did You Fly Today

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Today I flew my 130% old speedster, for the first time in about a month....
Did not go well, admittedly I managed to get rid of the nasty left role due to the torque.... I added about 7mm of washers to get it to fly straight... But my problem is that I've been flying the faster planes on e Sim, and all of a sudden I found myself flying a really slow plane... Ended up in tip stalling, going into a dive.. I was able to level out... But then due to the downwards momentum it smacked the ground, and slid forward (all while at full throttle) ripped the base of the plane off. Didn't break a prop, but I'm thinking of retiring it from active duty...

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
IMG_20210822_195526599_HDR.jpg

Scotto

Elite member
Well I finally did it. I crashed on top of the barn. I hate going more than 4 feet on a ladder and the barn is probly 18. Then I walked over where I could see it and I couldnt believe my luck. It was on its wheels! The landing gear took all the damage that time. I was able to turn and take off from the barn and fly some more!

Attachments

• 20210825_213433_1.gif
    20210825_213433_1.gif
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210825_211251_2.gif
    20210825_211251_2.gif
    168.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210825_211251_3.gif
    20210825_211251_3.gif
    286.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210825_211251_4.gif
    20210825_211251_4.gif
    239 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210825_215116.jpg
    20210825_215116.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

bwarz

Master member
took out the FW190 (13th Squadron @Niez13 ), FT F4U Corsair, and mini B25 (@MiniacRC ) for a beautiful evening with the club. I ended up adding about 90g to the corsair to see if it would firm up it's flight, which it really did. Much more enjoyable flying for me now! Was late arriving and only got about 30-40 minutes in before it started getting dark. This has motivated me to finally work on the navigation lights for however many I can stick them in! Keeping it simple for now with red and green on the wings and white on the far back. I might do some blue formation lights on the tops of the F6F wings of I'm feeling really saucy:LOL:

Byrdman

It's been pretty windy here in Central FL the last few days, so I wanted to fly this morning before the wind had a chance to pick up.

Took out the Old Fogey and it flew great until it did not respond to any controls and I saw a slight trail of smoke before it hit the water in the lake behind my house. After getting it with the boat, my esc evidently caught on fire but as it was going down, it had great glide slope!:)

Then I brought out the Tiny Trainer and flew it until a gust of wing tossed it in my neighbors tree. It was flying as if nose heavy, so I applied (too much) up trim and when I applied (too) much throttle in a turn, it nosed up pretty quickly and the wind gust caught it under the wing, lol...

I have been out of the hobby for a while, so I'm using old used gear that has been in boxes for years. That esc may have been involved in a prior incident. Plus, my Tiny Trainer doesnt seem much like a trainer. I have a 2200KV quad motor on it with a 6x3 prop on a 3c 850mAh batt, so it seem to have 2 speeds, fast and falling out of the sky even with the polyhedral wing.

Oh well, I wanted to build a 125% Mini Scout anyway...

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
It's been pretty windy here in Central FL the last few days, so I wanted to fly this morning before the wind had a chance to pick up.

Took out the Old Fogey and it flew great until it did not respond to any controls and I saw a slight trail of smoke before it hit the water in the lake behind my house. After getting it with the boat, my esc evidently caught on fire but as it was going down, it had great glide slope!:)

Then I brought out the Tiny Trainer and flew it until a gust of wing tossed it in my neighbors tree. It was flying as if nose heavy, so I applied (too much) up trim and when I applied (too) much throttle in a turn, it nosed up pretty quickly and the wind gust caught it under the wing, lol...

I have been out of the hobby for a while, so I'm using old used gear that has been in boxes for years. That esc may have been involved in a prior incident. Plus, my Tiny Trainer doesnt seem much like a trainer. I have a 2200KV quad motor on it with a 6x3 prop on a 3c 850mAh batt, so it seem to have 2 speeds, fast and falling out of the sky even with the polyhedral wing.

Oh well, I wanted to build a 125% Mini Scout anyway...
That is the best thing about FB planes, it totally changes your attitude about crashing. Build, crash, repeat and you can keep growing the complexity of your planes as your skill grows.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I flew two new types tonight - my FT Spit and my Hobby King Voltigeur....

The Spitfire was quite a nerve-wracking flight, as we still need to iron out a few bugs with it, but I flew it the whole way from launch to landing! My landing was a bit hard, but it came home in one piece, anyway.

I didn't video my flight with the Voltigeur, but we tamed it right down so that it would be easy to fly (for those of you who don't know, it's actually a 3D aerobatics plane!). We ended up dialling the throws down to about 45% on elevator and aileron. Since I'm used to flying little park-flyers, I generally just throw them in the air to take off! My first attempt ended up with the plane on its nose at the side of the runway, but my second attempt went brilliantly! I flew a few circuits until it was time to come down, but I didn't feel confident about landing it, so my instructor greased it in.

Two flights, two planes home. I call that a big plus!
I’ve been tempted by the voltigeur, it seems like an awesome plane, and the price is very low!

DazDaMan

Elite member
I’ve been tempted by the voltigeur, it seems like an awesome plane, and the price is very low!

I was given mine by the club chairman, as he was trying to clear out his shed!

We tamed it right down so that I can fly it as a general sports plane, and it works pretty well.

Being used to flying micro planes, it's a big jump up to the larger types, but I managed to get my first and second take-offs done, and then a landing. The model is in one piece, but not sure the pilot likes my flying!!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Happy to report that serial number 007 of the balsa-to-foam board conversion of the infamous Sig Wonder is the final prototype. I will be finalizing the plans and sharing them with the community soon. I made a few design modifications to better suit foam board construction, and one or two just for the fun of it. For example, the pic below is illustrating the vertical takeoff (VTO) capability of the foam model courtesy of some minor tweaks to the original vertical stabilizers that now allow it to stand up. Aesthetically, it resembles the original balsa version while keeping the build simple and durable (I've tested the durability a few time over the course of development) for foam board builders using tried and true FT style build techniques.

VTO goodness...
1630469490408.png