What Did You Fly Today

mastermalpass

Elite member
Today I ventured over to Blackdown flying club to see what it was all about - my first ever visit to an actual flying club of any kind. No idea what to expect - I came down to see a number of other people and a tonne of other aircraft! Turns out they're always there on weekends, I was expecting it to be empty like Jeff's club normally seems to be, but it was fairly busy, with some members having brought campervans and caravans (That's RVs and Trailers for those across the pond) and the chairman said they'll be flying until they can't anymore.

Bipe_at_Blackdown.jpg

So, I have an actual busy club near me now! I'm happy about that. First time I've ever landed this plane on a concrete runway and wow is it easier than landing on grass! The tape that was holding a broken wheel together gave out though.

Felt like a real junior rocking up with my foam electric to all these balsa-gas guys haha! The white plane you can see from my picture was a big Extra 300 like what @SquirrelTail messes with. I think my Bipe was the smallest plane at club! But the other members were impressed with how it and I handled the wind and performed aerobatics (what they don't know is that in half the manoeuvres, the plane was deciding and I was following, not the other way around lol).

What was also interesting was as I parked outside the gates and questioned which gate I go in, a Steerman flew over - a real one. Made me think this airfield was used by real planes - they explained it was a friend of theirs flying over to wave to the guys.

God, I was there for less than an hour and I could talk about it all day! The club is free on your first three visits - and they didn't count this visit as they were apparently having an open weekend. Talk about lucky timing! I hope the club is always that busy - or at least has the chairman present most weekends. Rules don't allow 'free flying' unless you've got an A-Class certificate, so I'm going to need senior flyers present whenever I want to fly.

shadeyB

Legendary member
Upgraded my SU34 from twin pusher to Twin 80mm 😁😂😍😍😍
love it even more now and dam has she got some grunt in it now
not to forget the others I had out today just no video cut yet

Attachments

• 7FBE1DF0-7955-49C1-AA8D-21879B537CDB.jpeg
    7FBE1DF0-7955-49C1-AA8D-21879B537CDB.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 03DF65D0-1194-4398-BABA-AA7E6F40C4EF.jpeg
    03DF65D0-1194-4398-BABA-AA7E6F40C4EF.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 0
  • D36EB932-A620-4A6B-B7A6-EACF4230EC00.jpeg
    D36EB932-A620-4A6B-B7A6-EACF4230EC00.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

mastermalpass

Elite member
Upgraded my SU34 from twin pusher to Twin 80mm 😁😂😍😍😍
love it even more now and dam has she got some grunt in it now
not to forget the others I had out today just no video cut yet

Once again, gracing the sky with some of the best looking, nicest sounding foamies I've ever seen scratchbuilt by one guy! You set the bar I wanna reach man.

shadeyB

Legendary member
Once again, gracing the sky with some of the best looking, nicest sounding foamies I've ever seen scratchbuilt by one guy! You set the bar I wanna reach man.
Thanks buddy but your too kind 👍 we’re all in it together to better ourselves and each other while having amazing fun times along the way
never know pal might get a chance to fly with you sometime down south somewhere nice. Not sure the field you fly at will be big enough as my planes are magnetic to trees lol
here’s another awesome flight from today

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I've not flown in months but decided today was going to be the day, so loaded up the car with:
FT Tiny Trainer 4ch
FT Scout (un-flown)
AXN floater (repaired)
Goldberg Electra glider (not flown in 18 months)
FT F22 Raptor mk1 (nose rebuild)
All flew remarkably well considering it was a bit blustery at times, the Scout had its maiden and few like a dream (it would have flown better on a calm day). The Electra needs some work though it kept porpoising, added nose weight with some minor improvement. Its either tail incidence is out compared with the wing or the motor needs some more down, as it was worse under power.
Other than that a really good day with no crashes or damage and every landing was text book ;)(y)
My model benefactor turned up with the Corsair I am planning to buy off him. Told him to keep the OS 25, I will be replacing it with my OS 30 instead. I am also buying the Bearcat off him, a package deal £100 for the pair. The Bearcat is ARTF just needs a battery and receiver, so should be up in the air in a couple of weeks.
Corsair 1.jpg Corsair 2.jpg
P47.jpg
All in all a very pleasant day :cool: