What Did You Fly Today

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was planning to go flying on Sunday, but weather doesn't look too good :rolleyes:
So slight change of plan I am going today too, weather looks kinder than Sunday. So taking a couple of planes I want to maiden and get it out the way before Sunday (y)
Just means hardly any sleep today, battery charging instead :).
Never went after all mini family crisis, daughters eh

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Gutted my trip to the field got cancelled. So many planes not enough time to fly them.
20211103_143212.jpg View attachment
Not even flown these once yet, since I got them 😥😪😭

chris398mx

Master member
Maidened the ft simple stick today, it flies great! I am going to need to switch out the motor though, the 11” prop was hitting the ground and it was underpowered by my standards. The motor I have on there is fantastic but it’s just too big to take full advantage of it’s capabilities on this plane. Either a rimfire .15 or radial C pack will be replacing it.
View attachment 211024 View attachment 211028 View attachment 211031

I have the rimfire on mine. I like it. You might also try out some large wheels like these. (Rubber band on the tire just to hold the foam until the glue cures.) Gives more prop clearance and makes taking off and landing in the grass much better.

1635952742773.png

chris398mx

Master member
Do you have the .15 or .10 on it? I’ve got some bigger tires, I’ll have to slap them on and see how it does.

I have the Rimfire 10 that I picked up at swap meet for a little bit of nothing. It has unlimited vertical on this plane, but is not all that fast. The drawback to this motor is it is only 2 or 3S capable. The Rimfire .15 is 3-4S, which I think would be more fun, but does weigh quite a bit more.

1635954021517.png

1635953960754.png

Attachments

• 1635953912244.png
    1635953912244.png
    57 KB · Views: 0

Brian B

Elite member
Hey where's the flight vid??
Hopefully video today after work. On many usual maidens on sport planes, I use gyro until I get everything trimmed. Remember I'm a novice. On this, I didn't realize I'd accidentally turned off gyro until a few minutes of flying had gone by. It was that smooth. Need to explore the flight envelope more, but no bad tendencies. I'd fully recommend, with some prior experience on mild "master" builds.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Lol.. I've built 2x ms crafts .. so looks like I'm gonna be building this, as soon as I have time... Which is unfortunately in VERY short supply
Hopefully video today after work. On many usual maidens on sport planes, I use gyro until I get everything trimmed. Remember I'm a novice. On this, I didn't realize I'd accidentally turned off gyro until a few minutes of flying had gone by. It was that smooth. Need to explore the flight envelope more, but no bad tendencies. I'd fully recommend, with some prior experience on mild "master" builds.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
This is part scratch build and part what did you fly today. Just finished a rough proof of concept prototype of a 150% FT DR1 with straight wings and FT style airfoils. Maidened it Monday in not ideal conditions but couldn't wait. It turned out to be a little above my skill level to fly.

After repairs I wondered if it was the design or the pilot. Since I didn't have a better pilot around I put my Aura 5 in it. It turned out to be a fine design and a less than fine pilot!

Since it flew so well with the Aura 5 I'll be building a cleaned up version and have plans available it anyone want to build one.

He he I'm a novice flier too. Certainly not an expert! But you changed the subject. :sneaky:
For some odd reason I'm not shy about sharing vid of crashes or trying to maiden a plane that doesn't work the way I wanted it to. (Like if I wanted it to fly. :LOL: )
So I wound up filming everything because I know if I'm out without the camera I'll miss something. But that's just me.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
He he I'm a novice flier too. Certainly not an expert! But you changed the subject. :sneaky:
For some odd reason I'm not shy about sharing vid of crashes or trying to maiden a plane that doesn't work the way I wanted it to. (Like if I wanted it to fly. :LOL: )
So I wound up filming everything because I know if I'm out without the camera I'll miss something. But that's just me.
I still haven't got a decent camera myself and was looking at them nearly a year ago :unsure: last February I think around my birthday. I got one of those cheap ones
1635965626397.png

Okay for getting some inflight shots due to low weight, but with no image stabilisation it wasn't great. However, for an initial dip into the flight recording world it wasn't too bad, for less than £10 I couldn't grumble. Maybe I can invest in something a bit better next year when I am more affluent.

Brian B

Elite member
Yea... How do we know that you actually maidened it??
Very windy at the flying field. My first rolling takeoff! By myself, so had to stop flying to snap the video for you guys, so sorry no fancy flying. Landing were fine as long as I kept power on. Even managed a few touch and goes, another first for me.

My phone takes MP4 files, but when uploading it finishes with an error about the filetype not allowed. How do I upload video? For now, you'll have to be satisfied with a screen shot. Obviously too high for me to rig up guide wires, so you'll just have to take my word it was really flying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211103-194132_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211103-194132_Gallery.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211103_175402.jpg
    20211103_175402.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Scotto

Elite member
Very windy at the flying field. My first rolling takeoff! By myself, so had to stop flying to snap the video for you guys, so sorry no fancy flying. Landing were fine as long as I kept power on. Even managed a few touch and goes, another first for me.

My phone takes MP4 files, but when uploading it finishes with an error about the filetype not allowed. How do I upload video? For now, you'll have to be satisfied with a screen shot. Obviously too high for me to rig up guide wires, so you'll just have to take my word it was really flying.
She looks gorgeous! Nice work. I need to build myself one. You need to make a Hatcam for some easy hands free video!

Attachments

• 20211103_231345.jpg
    20211103_231345.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0