What Did You Fly Today

Vimana89

Legendary member
Well weather was above 0 and wind below 50 so let's take the Grumman F7F Tigercat out for it's maiden. The Tigercat flies :) . As a tail dragger there is no attempting to launch diagonally against the wind, soon as you start to move the wind turns it instantly so it did take a couple attempts to get it up because the wind kept turning me straight for clumps of snow. Finally I went totally diagonal to the runway, so a very short one now and up she went.

That's a nice looking little twin engine. Love the wing shape, and looks like a smooth flyer(y).

Vimana89

Legendary member
Finally a nice morning for once so out comes the new Proto type PI F117 Nighthawk for it's maiden :)

Was waiting to see this one fly, great job and awesome looking plane! It handles very well. You'll get the hang of some more high alpha with it,but it will be a bit tricky to keep it stable with a 3ch elevon build with no rudder, and its slightly bulkier frame than most deltas. That being said, its just a mattery of muscle memory and hitting that sweet spot.

JennyC6

Elite member
Didn't fly anything today...that's scheduled for tomorrow...but I did get out and run some RC. Got the new engine in my Slayer Pro tuned in and put a tank through it! Pulls so strong it isn't even funny~. Got a 1 minute teaser clip uploaded, 10 minute or so full vid still uploading.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Was waiting to see this one fly, great job and awesome looking plane! It handles very well. You'll get the hang of some more high alpha with it,but it will be a bit tricky to keep it stable with a 3ch elevon build with no rudder, and its slightly bulkier frame than most deltas. That being said, its just a mattery of muscle memory and hitting that sweet spot.

I wasn't attempting high alpha, that was just a gust of wind which threw it over ;) . As a pusher even with rudders high alpha would be a challenge , to me you need a tractor or midmount to really have fun doing it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I wasn't attempting high alpha, that was just a gust of wind which threw it over ;) . As a pusher even with rudders high alpha would be a challenge , to me you need a tractor or midmount to really have fun doing it.
Actually didn't bother considering the whole thrust vectoring those designs have over straight pusher. A high mounted pusher forward of the elevator/elevons works great too 😎. Either way, high alpha not necessary for a scale or close to scale f-117. Yours looks easy enough to recover in a stall or unwanted roll though👍

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
I flew one that I've been designing for a while now. Trying to make a nice all-around plane that can fly super slow and still have some punch to it. Seems like its getting there, This one is scaled up to 115% with a 2200 mah and a 10-inch prop. I have plans for a smaller one that uses a 6-inch prop and an 850Mah battery. Here is the link to the plans if anyone is interested.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/what-is-the-slowest-plane-on-ft.58456/page-9

JennyC6

Elite member

Full length video from my shenanigans today. That truck is so so so so much fun to drive! Tomorrow, I take to the heavens!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I flew one that I've been designing for a while now. Trying to make a nice all-around plane that can fly super slow and still have some punch to it. Seems like its getting there, This one is scaled up to 115% with a 2200 mah and a 10-inch prop. I have plans for a smaller one that uses a 6-inch prop and an 850Mah battery. Here is the link to the plans if anyone is interested.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/what-is-the-slowest-plane-on-ft.58456/page-9

It's a slow-flyer AND a rocket! Quite the plane!

bracesport

Legendary member
no flying today - a bit of building on a flat nose Versa and we checked out my new flying site - today the wind was 180 deg wrong, but I cant wait to try it out soon!

mega site.jpg

JennyC6

Elite member
Went down to the field today. Sitrep:

FT Commuter 049 ate :poop: and died on takeoff. Twice. It does not like the 35% fuel I have, apparently. Will make repairs and try again another day; it's not totalled by any stretch.

Traxxas Slayer ran flawlessly. I brought it down so I'd have something to run if the weather was unfavorable for flying, and we had a bit where the wind gusted up too high. So I fired it up, threw it down, let it ride. Destroyed the tires on it haha!

NexSTAR 46: Flew it solo! I had guys coaching me along but my thumbs were on the sticks from the moment it started to the moment it shut down. It, too, ate :poop:, but no damage was done. Was landing, overshot the runway by a wide margin, touched down in 3" high grass. Plane rolled a bit, hit some 6" high grass, frontflipped. It will fly again with zero repairs needed! Was in the air for a good ten minutes with it, too.

Hoomi

Master member
Successful flights with all four today. I put Fawkes up for her "rise from the ashes" maiden, relaxed for a bit with the Calypso, then made my second flight with the Stinger EDF, and rounded out the morning with the Scout. The Stinger landing wasn't pretty (came in a bit hotter than I should, and she rolled to the end of the runway and flipped over in the weeds), but it was a no-damage landing, so I won't complain. I need to get a bit more experience on the EDFs to know just how much I can slow her down for landing.
P7141668.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Successful flights with all four today. I put Fawkes up for her "rise from the ashes" maiden, relaxed for a bit with the Calypso, then made my second flight with the Stinger EDF, and rounded out the morning with the Scout. The Stinger landing wasn't pretty (came in a bit hotter than I should, and she rolled to the end of the runway and flipped over in the weeds), but it was a no-damage landing, so I won't complain. I need to get a bit more experience on the EDFs to know just how much I can slow her down for landing.

Nice variety of planes. :)

For the Stinger, couple thing to remember, It is virtually the same as having a pusher except the edf takes longer to spool up and give you that instant thrust then with a prop. Then also as a pusher you have 0 prop wash going over the wings or control surfaces so when you slow right down you are relying strictly on airflow and there is no aid from prop wash so when you do stall it is harder to recover . I have dumped some pusher (with props yet) by taking some corners to tight and slow and it just drops like a dead weight.

Hoomi

Master member
Nice variety of planes. :)

For the Stinger, couple thing to remember, It is virtually the same as having a pusher except the edf takes longer to spool up and give you that instant thrust then with a prop. Then also as a pusher you have 0 prop wash going over the wings or control surfaces so when you slow right down you are relying strictly on airflow and there is no aid from prop wash so when you do stall it is harder to recover . I have dumped some pusher (with props yet) by taking some corners to tight and slow and it just drops like a dead weight.
Yeah, that was one of the reasons I was coming in a bit hot - not knowing yet just how slow I can take it without stalling. I think once I get the feel of this plane, it'll be a lot of fun to fly.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yeah, that was one of the reasons I was coming in a bit hot - not knowing yet just how slow I can take it without stalling. I think once I get the feel of this plane, it'll be a lot of fun to fly.
Try gliding up high so when it stalls you have time to recover.

Hoomi

Master member
Try gliding up high so when it stalls you have time to recover.
I'm going to try that next time I fly it. So far, I have my flight timer set to 2 minutes, though, so I won't have a lot of time for experimenting during the flight. As warm as the battery and ESC were after the flight, I don't think I'd want to push it too much longer than that (though a few moments of gliding should help dissipate at least a little bit of heat).

Someone over on another forum was complaining that the 64mm Stinger on the 3S battery didn't have enough power to take off on its own. I'm not sure what their problem is, but I have the landing gear on mine, plus the weight of a gyro inside, and it accomplished a rolling take-off from the ground just fine.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm going to try that next time I fly it. So far, I have my flight timer set to 2 minutes, though, so I won't have a lot of time for experimenting during the flight. As warm as the battery and ESC were after the flight, I don't think I'd want to push it too much longer than that (though a few moments of gliding should help dissipate at least a little bit of heat).

Someone over on another forum was complaining that the 64mm Stinger on the 3S battery didn't have enough power to take off on its own. I'm not sure what their problem is, but I have the landing gear on mine, plus the weight of a gyro inside, and it accomplished a rolling take-off from the ground just fine.

Buy one of those cheap $3.00 battery checkers so you can test the battery after the flight and see how many volts left in it.