What Did You Fly Today

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
It's almost 12 g lighter(dry) than the spec. from FT's SBK.
You should be better than fine with that weight. You mentioned not enough thrust. With either of those motors and that prop at full throttle it should have jumped out of your hand. What did the plane do?

Here's a heavier much crashed plane with an 850 battery and I don't even go full throttle

luvmy40

Elite member
1st take off attempt from the ground. Full throttle, full up elevator

Second attempt, hand launch after recalibrating the ESC.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Indeed, it is.
If the prop is tight then there must be something going on with the motor or esc. The motor is a little over propped but I've used the APC 6x4.7 with no problems. Cobra motors specs for a lower kva is 484g thrust so if everything is running right it should go straight up. Have you built a test stand yet to test motors?

luvmy40

Elite member
No, I do not have a test stand yet.

I have an 1805, 2300 kv motor with smaller bullet connectors. I'll order a connector kit and try the different motor and, probably a different ESC as well.

luvmy40

Elite member
What did I just see?

https://youtube.com/shorts/q4rQvtpMQog

Before taking the video, If I eased up to full throttle it went smoothly but never got to the "jump out of your hand" level. When I snapped the stick to full throttle, it hit much higher RPM but started squealing and stopped turning. In the vid, the motor actually started smoking,

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What did I just see?

Before taking the video, If I eased up to full throttle it went smoothly but never got to the "jump out of your hand" level. When I snapped the stick to full throttle, it hit much higher RPM but started squealing and stopped turning. In the vid, the motor actually started smoking,

I'm guessing from personal experience. It seems like there was a mounting screw contacting the stator coils of the motor and when it shorted it fried the ESC. If that's the case, they're both toast.

mastermalpass

Elite member
What did I just see?

Ooh dear - that weird spinning is the ESC/Motor going out of phase. This can happen when one of the three wires between the ESC and motor is poorly connected. However what your plane is doing is more resembling what happened with my Blade 500X: the ESC has blown - there's no fixing it.

Definitely check the motor though. A 30A ESC shouldn't have any trouble spinning that little prop on a 2300kv. You did say it was a 6x4 prop, didn't you? I've been running a 4 bladed 6x4 on a 2200kv motor with a 35A ESC for years.

luvmy40

Elite member
I'm guessing from personal experience. It seems like there was a mounting screw contacting the stator coils of the motor and when it shorted it fried the ESC. If that's the case, they're both toast.
Definitely not a screw hitting the stator. I double check those on installation and looked at this one again after the malf. But good idea.

luvmy40

Elite member
Ooh dear - that weird spinning is the ESC/Motor going out of phase. This can happen when one of the three wires between the ESC and motor is poorly connected. However what your plane is doing is more resembling what happened with my Blade 500X: the ESC has blown - there's no fixing it.

Definitely check the motor though. A 30A ESC shouldn't have any trouble spinning that little prop on a 2300kv. You did say it was a 6x4 prop, didn't you? I've been running a 4 bladed 6x4 on a 2200kv motor with a 35A ESC for years.
It's a 6 x 4.5. I do have another 30 amp ESC and another 1804 motor. I'll test them this evening

I got a comment on the YouTube video that the ESC is causing an out of synch issue.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
Maidened this Goblin today! After getting it trimmed out I put the goggles on and had a blast! The Sparrow V3 worked great and I even used the auto launch feature at one point just to see it work!

I also managed to cover 7.5km in under 10 minutes, using only 1000 mah. This is going to be fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20221030_185733784_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221030_185733784_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221028_204741954.jpg
    IMG_20221028_204741954.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member
Experimented with lots of new maneuvers in this, worked on my style to make it flow a bit more, and tried to clean everything up a bit.

Definitely looking good on the flow. You made that look less like a plane flying and more like a sea creature swimming! It's just so casual looking, like you're just playing and throwing these moves around like they're nothing. Nice work!

You're making me wanna hurry up and make a 3D plane now, so I can hopefully be that good by the time I'm 45! 😂

novakk

Definitely looking good on the flow. You made that look less like a plane flying and more like a sea creature swimming! It's just so casual looking, like you're just playing and throwing these moves around like they're nothing. Nice work!

You're making me wanna hurry up and make a 3D plane now, so I can hopefully be that good by the time I'm 45! 😂
wow!!!??!?

OliverW

Legendary member

Thank you man 😆 make one! Doesn’t take much to be a lot better than me!

Bricks

Master member
Experimented with lots of new maneuvers in this, worked on my style to make it flow a bit more, and tried to clean everything up a bit.

Nice job me I would like to see your lines a little straighter when ever you come across the field your all over the place. Yea like I am one to talk LOL.

luvmy40

Elite member
My Pietenpol had the same problem several times. I just tried not to give maximum thrust during other flights.
https://youtube.com/shorts/8lAHAiXbDfU?feature=share
The problem here is that even when this doesn't squeal and chatter at full throttle, the rpms are too low to get the plane airborn. I have been advised by the retailer that sold me the motors and ESCs this is happen with to reprogram the ESCs timing to mid or high range as they are defaulted to low range which is best for under 1500kv. I hope it fixes the issue, I'll give it a go tonight.

novakk

The problem here is that even when this doesn't squeal and chatter at full throttle, the rpms are too low to get the plane airborn. I have been advised by the retailer that sold me the motors and ESCs this is happen with to reprogram the ESCs timing to mid or high range as they are defaulted to low range which is best for under 1500kv. I hope it fixes the issue, I'll give it a go tonight.
Thanks for the advice! I will try to program my ESC like this today as well.