What Did You Fly Today

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's today's maiden of a 132% MS Spitfire. That scale gives a close approximation to the 1600mm FliteLine model from MotionRC. I'd love to own that plane, but its not nearly as fun as building your own out of $10 DTFB and leftover parts from earlier projects.

First time scaling up plans, so there was lots of fiddling to make things fit, but it doesn't look too bad. Folks wanting to build at this scale should cut the formers a little larger- most of the skins were pretty loose on them. All the other scaling issues are pretty easy to eyeball.

Maiden was smooth, but it's horribly underpowered using the biggest motor and prop I had available: a FT 2814/1100kv motor running an 11X6 prop. I also put the biggest battery I own (5000 4S) plus 2oz as far forward in the nose to balance it. In the video, you can actually hear some of the guys at the club give me crap for flying such a slow plane. Folks wanting to build a Spit @ 132% should consider a bigger power system than what I used.

I think it looks awesome. Flies super smooth.

Attachments

• 20230124_204627.jpg
    20230124_204627.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 0

MaxTheFliteFreak

Here's today's maiden of a 132% MS Spitfire. That scale gives a close approximation to the 1600mm FliteLine model from MotionRC. I'd love to own that plane, but its not nearly as fun as building your own out of $10 DTFB and leftover parts from earlier projects.

First time scaling up plans, so there was lots of fiddling to make things fit, but it doesn't look too bad. Folks wanting to build at this scale are advised to the formers a little larger- most of the skins were pretty loose on them. All the other scaling issues are pretty easy to eyeball.

Maiden was smooth, but it's horribly underpowered using the biggest motor and prop I had available: a FT 2814/1100kv motor running an 11X6 prop. I also put the biggest battery I own (5000 4S) plus 2oz as far forward in the nose to balance it. In the video, you can actually hear some of the guys at the club give me crap for flying such a slow plane. Folks wanting to build a Spit @ 132% should consider a bigger power system than what I used.

Unfortunately, the Pranut Gallery always has something to say. Beautiful plane.

mastermalpass

Elite member

First time scaling up plans, so there was lots of fiddling to make things fit, but it doesn't look too bad. Folks wanting to build at this scale should cut the formers a little larger- most of the skins were pretty loose on them. All the other scaling issues are pretty easy to eyeball.

Slow as it might be in the air, those slow passes are very scale looking. Beautiful model as well, which helps with scale... Y'know until the prop spools down and we can see how small it is. 😂

I would wanna put a big 13 or 14incher on it - the Dynam Hurricane one might be good. Of course, then you'd have to change the motor out for a 600kv or so and I dunno how much rework that's gonna be on the mount.

It's just such a big floaty model, with a bigger power system you could add retracts and stuff.

Yankee2003

I agree with the camera person……..”That is awesome!”.
After learning to fly “3D” or at least my version of it….I absolutely love flying all my plane in close, low and slow. A number of members that sit on “The bench of infinite knowledge” fly their plane so high and far away it is hard to enjoy the flight (in my opinion).
I really enjoyed the flight video. The Spitfire was shown off in all her glory. A model so beautifully crafted and finished deserves nothing less than a low and close in flight.
If my MS Spitfire turns out that good I will fly it slow, low and graceful.
Thank you for the video.

Inq

Elite member
@CrshNBrn, I have to agree with the others, it might be more fun for you to fly with more power, but it looked very real (as in full scale). However, I wonder how much of that scale flying is attributed to the slower plane or your flying skill. Beautiful plane! Thanks for sharing.

Inq

Elite member
@CrshNBrn, I have my own peanut gallery that show no mercy. I kind of like the banter. I turned down the volume the first time I watched your video... that if you skip the launch and landing, and found it on YouTube, I'd have been troubled... but I would have leaned toward a real Spit. Turning up the volume the second time... my first thought was to put a speaker in the plane with a recorded Merlin at full tilt! Sends chills down my spine! :sneaky:

PJF

I took my old, old, OLD school Tower Hobbies Uproar up for the first time in 17 years!

It was originally powered by an Enya .40 glow engine, but I lost interest in glow stuff and it has just been sitting all this time. I converted it to a Tomcat G46 motor, APC 12x6 prop, and 60A ESC. I kept all the original Futaba S148 servos but swapped to a Spektrum 6 channel receiver and radio.

It flew GREAT!

323843693_727758435538742_5743327827699524956_n.jpg
323528437_944937816444956_782914118500937023_n.jpg

DazDaMan

Elite member
Flew my pink FT Spitfire again for the first time since about October last year. There was a bit too much wind for PInky, but she did an admirable job.

I would have flown for a third time, but as I was putting the battery in, I noticed that one of the motor wires had somehow come away from the plug, so no more flying for Pinky!

I would have flown the camouflaged version, too, but I had to fix an issue with the spinner, which I couldn't do at the field.

DazDaMan

Elite member

Got to agree with what others have said - that looked awesome. Get some roundels on it and fly the hell out of it!

mastermalpass

Elite member
I took my old, old, OLD school Tower Hobbies Uproar up for the first time in 17 years!

It was originally powered by an Enya .40 glow engine, but I lost interest in glow stuff and it has just been sitting all this time. I converted it to a Tomcat G46 motor, APC 12x6 prop, and 60A ESC. I kept all the original Futaba S148 servos but swapped to a Spektrum 6 channel receiver and radio.

It flew GREAT!

View attachment 234175 View attachment 234176

I haven't been in the hobby long enough to bring a model that old out of retirement, but I do love the feeling of coming back to an old friend. Getting the feel of how it flies, remembering how to best handle it and of course the "Oh yeah, it does that." moments!

Last edited:

mastermalpass

Elite member
Today I went exploring on yet another part of Exmoor I haven't really checked out before. Funnily enough at the first place I stopped, someone was flying an RC Spitfire. But, vast and open as that field was, we had passed many more scenic places on the way there, so I went back and found this:

Screenshot_20230128_130543_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230128_130505_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230128_130404_Gallery.jpg

It's what used to be an engine house sitting on the end of what used a rail line. I now have a mission to repair the racing quad for:

Screenshot_20230128_175518_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230128_175501_Gallery.jpg

Then I went across to where I flew the Bipe last week... And the wind up here was dead - I knew I should have charged a second battery!