What Did You Fly Today

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
hi ...
tried to fly my most used glider yesterday,a modified simple soarer ,which has flown perfectly well for over 12 months
trying out a new wing and was not anticipating any real problems.
but it was not to be :

using a folding prop on a plane like that, with the battery mounted on top is looking for trouble. works fine until you lower throttle and the blades fold back like they are supposed to, then you throttle back up and you catch them on your battery or your nose. the motor cant spin, or more likely the prop loosens and spins off. notice all gliders that use folding props have a nice round, smooth surface that the prop spins around. this is for a reason. you need to the prop to fold, but also to be able to open back up on throttle.

good luck,

me :cool:

daxian

Elite member
haha ...tried and tested for over a year ,without problem! sure is asking for trouble...
brake is set on the esc so the prop is not spinning when folding back and the foldback is restricted so it can not touch the battery ,so that is not the problem ...more a case of wear and tear is my thinking !!thanks for the input though !

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well had this little girl out yesterday, I wish I had some decent slopes close by but up high there are times where I see that it doesn't loose any altitude for a long time. I just need to learn how to circle and pick up those winds and maintain the height. Towards the end I took it really high , right into the clouds and I think I lost signal for a bit. There was about a second delay before the motor cut out , then it started to turn and go into a dive and somewhere in that dive I picked up signal and leveled out. It was a real good test of the wing because it was really coming down at a fast pace and when I pulled up it flexed pretty good but didn't break .
1f631.png
1f631.png
1f631.png
1f631.png

Wildthing

Legendary member
One quick short flight with the Tigercat and a dead stick landing. Not sure what happened but both motors cut out , I still had controls though which was nice, I was out over top of the crop and I really didn't feel like going for a long walk through the mud but I was able to glide it in closer to a somewhat smooth landing and no damage. When I got to the plane the motors started no problem so not sure what happened.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Well had this little girl out yesterday, I wish I had some decent slopes close by but up high there are times where I see that it doesn't loose any altitude for a long time. I just need to learn how to circle and pick up those winds and maintain the height. Towards the end I took it really high , right into the clouds and I think I lost signal for a bit. There was about a second delay before the motor cut out , then it started to turn and go into a dive and somewhere in that dive I picked up signal and leveled out. It was a real good test of the wing because it was really coming down at a fast pace and when I pulled up it flexed pretty good but didn't break .
1f631.png
1f631.png
1f631.png
1f631.png

Traditionally, the tail comes up, nose goes down ( but you need to be close to see that) and the tips bobble to the outside of the thermal so you tend to turn opposite the bobble. Helps to have birds or flotsam. Most thermals I fly are pretty huge above 200ft

Wildthing

Legendary member
Traditionally, the tail comes up, nose goes down ( but you need to be close to see that) and the tips bobble to the outside of the thermal so you tend to turn opposite the bobble. Helps to have birds or flotsam. Most thermals I fly are pretty huge above 200ft

I know 0 about thermals o_O

Piotrsko

Master member
Ever see dust devils? That be thermals with wind indicating stuff in really tight spiral. #2 thermals tend to cycle in the same starting point, ie darker ground patches or asphalt, concrete, steel roofs, what have you. I have this monster thermal operating off the HVAC exhaust fan at the local school most sunny days. There, with my last post, you are now fully qualified as thermal seeker. New stuff radio equipment don't have the range my watt n a half 50 year old Futaba had. I estimate cloud bases where you live to be 2500 ft agl, a tad far for 100 milli watt transmitter

Wildthing

Legendary member
My 1st little attempt at editing a video, pretty lame this Windows Video editor. It works and offers things that don't work such as zooming in, has 12 different zoom features and I couldn't get any to work. I can't adjust speed either. Captions you have to split the video each and every time if you want it one after the other. I did add a comet trail :D .
Basically I want to zoom in on the first 10 seconds to show the wing flex on the 1600mm glider coming out of the high speed dive and put it into slow motion too, then the following 35 seconds just normal.

I don't know where you guys and girls get all that time to do your fancy editing :)

Hoomi

Master member
My 1st little attempt at editing a video, pretty lame this Windows Video editor. It works and offers things that don't work such as zooming in, has 12 different zoom features and I couldn't get any to work. I can't adjust speed either. Captions you have to split the video each and every time if you want it one after the other. I did add a comet trail :D .
Basically I want to zoom in on the first 10 seconds to show the wing flex on the 1600mm glider coming out of the high speed dive and put it into slow motion too, then the following 35 seconds just normal.

I don't know where you guys and girls get all that time to do your fancy editing :)

I spent a bit of money a while back and bought Cyberlink Power Director 15 for editing videos, and frustration with the Windows Video editor was one of the motivating factors. It wasn't difficult to learn (though I've yet to delve into all the features it offers), and while not the cheapest video editing package out there, it's also not the most expensive, either. Cyberlink is up to Power Director 17 now, which starts at $99.99 on their website. IIRC, when I bought PD 15, it was on sale, and I haven't regretted the purchase at all. If you're going to do videos on a regular basis, the investment is worth it for the headaches it prevents.

Incidentally, it takes me a lot less time with Power Director to do the fancier editing, than it did to do less impressive editing with the Windows Video Editor.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I spent a bit of money a while back and bought Cyberlink Power Director 15 for editing videos, and frustration with the Windows Video editor was one of the motivating factors. It wasn't difficult to learn (though I've yet to delve into all the features it offers), and while not the cheapest video editing package out there, it's also not the most expensive, either. Cyberlink is up to Power Director 17 now, which starts at $99.99 on their website. IIRC, when I bought PD 15, it was on sale, and I haven't regretted the purchase at all. If you're going to do videos on a regular basis, the investment is worth it for the headaches it prevents.

Incidentally, it takes me a lot less time with Power Director to do the fancier editing, than it did to do less impressive editing with the Windows Video Editor.

Free software is usually a pain in the butt. I just don't know if I would use a paid for one enough because of more time being required on my part. Heck I love what some of you do with your videos.

Hoomi

Master member
Free software is usually a pain in the butt. I just don't know if I would use a paid for one enough because of more time being required on my part. Heck I love what some of you do with your videos.
The amount you'll use it is definitely a consideration. For me, between the video we take while scuba diving, video from my camera drone, and video from the cameras on the airplanes, I figured I would be using it enough to make it worthwhile.

Video editing software is a tool, and like any tool you're going to use, it's worth investing in a good one. I figured out many years ago, when our budget was such that we had to drive older cars, and I had to fix them myself since we couldn't afford to pay someone else to fix them, that cheap tools ended up costing me more in the long run, between not working right when I needed them, and the time wasted when they either broke or failed to work for the task.

If you're not going to use it, though, it's no longer an investment. It's just wasting money.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

:LOL::LOL: I didn't see that coming! Too funny! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Snuck in a little flight today with the PI F117 Nighthawk before the storms rolled in :) , it actually rips along pretty good with that tiny quad motor, also much nicer to fly without the gale force winds.