What Did You Fly Today

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thank you for your responses. They are much appreciated. I knocked up a rough CG stand just in case my fat fingers were causing any bias. I have everything in place as it would be in flight and 3s 2200ma lipo battery sitting hard up against the back of the firewall. I sharpened the tip of the dowels to a 1 mm chisel point and the plane rocks freely without hesitation. I had to reverse the undercarriage to fit the stand in. I think it looks fairly well balanced. Looking down the plane the main wing and evelator are in good alignment. I am thinking more along the lines of too much increase in thrust for very little stick movement. I think anyone would have trouble driving a mini minor if it was powered by a super charged V8 with only 1 inch of total throttle movement. While I am waiting for the new props to come I will knock up a thrust meter and adjust the throttle curve on the transmitter to have a linear run up and cap the thrust between 700 and 1000g. I found this feature while I was doing my repairs. View attachment 145420 View attachment 145420 View attachment 145421 Does anyone have a CG point for a heavy cub that worked for them? I could also set up the ailerons and run them in flaperon mode with a little reflex if that might help. I did plan on going to 4 channel eventually.
Try balancing the plane so the bottom of the wings are horizontal.

Hoomi

Master member
Two flights with the Mavic 2 Zoom today, getting to know her a bit better before the Big Boy comes through later this week.
OspreyShare.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
Maidened v4 of the 1939 Popular Aviation Special. This is the one to base plans on(y). Sportster and Racer fans, you'll like this one. War bird lovers will probably like it too. I have to test it more on full throttle(took it easy except short bursts in maiden) but high speed performance is incredible.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Maidened v4 of the 1939 Popular Aviation Special. This is the one to base plans on(y). Sportster and Racer fans, you'll like this one. War bird lovers will probably like it too. I have to test it more on full throttle(took it easy except short bursts in maiden) but high speed performance is incredible.
Great vid bud! How long have you been flying for? I only ask because I see you usually flying the delta's at high alpha and promoting the nutballs and the like, and you almost seemed apprehensive about using ailerons... but here is the kicker, you can actually fly!

And you are a pretty good designer and builder as well, good job man. You should go all balls out with the Charlie and make her sing

Vimana89

Legendary member
Great vid bud! How long have you been flying for? I only ask because I see you usually flying the delta's at high alpha and promoting the nutballs and the like, and you almost seemed apprehensive about using ailerons... but here is the kicker, you can actually fly!

And you are a pretty good designer and builder as well, good job man. You should go all balls out with the Charlie and make her sing
Thanks man, appreciate the kind words👍. I actually joined FT after unsuccessfully trying to get into the hobby in late 2018. I didn't start flying anything successfully until like March and April of 2019 and started with RET like the Hobby Zone Champ and my early RET builds like the V Sliver slender delta and tailed Nutball. It's only recently I've really made the effort to learn ailerons and elevons and the learning process has actually been very fast. I'm definitely not apprehensive any more! And I'll put a nice power plant on the Charlie and really fly the plane to its max potential, you can count on that.

Photo001

Any time you get one seaduck in the air it is fun, get two in the air and it is a blast! Get 2 flying formation at a stand still or even flying backwards is just an awesome day!

It was fun!

Had others at the field questioning why they built the higher priced balsa birds and are then afraid to fly them while @Headbang and I are up playing in the wind having an absolute blast!

Lane

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Got the Sportster out today. This is some onboard footage, the second pack of the day. I have the first pack flight uploading right now.
I edited out all the swearing at some parts lol
I don't personally like the onboard cams. I prefer to watch what the bird is doing, rather than be on it when it's doing it. ;) The aerial view is always spectacular, though. I love the runway you've cut into your flying field. Shoot, you could start a flying club, right there!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just got nostalgic, almost brought a tear to my eye lol. I really like that plane. It begs for ailerons. Have you flown it on 3s?
Tried 3s once - full throttle and the wings folded... I reinforced them now so it should be able to take a little more now. Maybe if the weather holds I’ll try that tomorrow. I got another vid to post if it flying off the f pack. This one was on the a pack.