What Did You Fly Today

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I may be detecting a correlation hehe

I bought a brand new stand mixer when I moved in this place 10 years ago. Gained 40+ pounds the first 3 months. Stopped baking for a year n a half till I go back down below 190. Now I bake on holidays only hehe. As you can see I am STILL losing the el roundo battle. It may have even surpassed the wheres Baldo age of dominance.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Got the wings made up, this looks like it may be a nifty little wing on its own

IMG_20200629_192229.jpg

slowjo

Master member
I bought a brand new stand mixer when I moved in this place 10 years ago. Gained 40+ pounds the first 3 months. Stopped baking for a year n a half till I go back down below 190. Now I bake on holidays only hehe. As you can see I am STILL losing the el roundo battle. It may have even surpassed the wheres Baldo age of dominance.
im not a loser, still over 200# :oops:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
im not a loser, still over 200# :oops:

That is one of the reasons I got back into RC . Gave me a reason to get my self off the comfy chair and get some motion back into my life. At this point the roundness is determined by weather and covid lock down. When I am stuck in doors I get rounder, when I can get out regularly to fly It subsides a bit.

Anyway suns up, time for coffee n bagels and the start of the battery charging procession so I can go rip another round of packs tuning the MAch 1 some more.

Nighthawk74

I have long wanted to get into FPV, but not wanted to spend a small fortune on gear. Recently, I was checking out the LHS and they had this Tiny Hawk II RTF set. Splurged and picked up 4 extra batts. After 15 flights and 1 hour on a simulator...I still suck **haha**
It takes ages to get good at this drone racing side of the hobby. I have flown a variety of other quads before, none of them racing/3D capable, but this is next level flying.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_093216.jpg
    IMG_20200626_093216.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

Timmy

Legendary member
You lost me there, if you have friction between the prop shaft (collet) and the motor shaft something isn't tight.
So what I meant by that is at the time I thought the direction of the motor spining would cause the prop nut to unfasten. And when it does that the "collet" rubs agains the shaft and causes friction. However it turns out that the motor was spining in such a way that it was tightening the nut so that wasn't the problem. My 9" props are coming in the mail today so I'll try those out

Legendary member
I've been meaning to build a little 3ch biplane lately and was working on a Nieuport, I didn't really like how it was coming out though. I found this little guy on Outerzone the other day and it gave me an idea.

SimpleAlbatros.jpg

That fuselage looks familiar to me.

9aa99b53380732b6e4595b11e6968e9b.jpg

I like the Nieuports but the Albatros D.III is by far my favorite fighter of WWI. I want to build a full-scale one someday powered by a Fairchild Ranger but molding plywood sounds worse than posterboard.

Timmy

Legendary member
Just a quick question for my canard FPV wing. Regarding the canard, should the canard be movable and act as the elevator or should I leave it fixed and use elevons?
Make it movable just in case you need it. If you don't then just don't use it or glue it. A movable canard would be good for trying different angles of attack on it.
... or just make it adjustable

Last edited:

Legendary member
Make it movable just in case you need it. If you don't then just don't use it or glue it. A movable canard would be good for trying different angles of attack on it.
... or just make it adjustable
I suppose my question was more about should the canard act as the elevator or should i use elevons? I like the idea of having an adjustable canard, not sure what channel to program that into though.

Legendary member
I have little knobs on my tx. Not that I'm gonna give you it.:p

Try elevator first then if thats not good then do elevons. or maybe you could have both?
I think having both will be really pitchy, I want it to be reasonably stable throughout its speed envelope. I use a DX6i so I'm a little limited on the switches I have available, and I don't know if I can slave channels to different switches. On a 6ch channel Rx I could run them through the spare channel and use whatever switch it gives me, two position should be fine because then I can have a high speed and low speed setting. I know I have a 3-position switch somewhere but I don't remember what channel it is.
I found a nifty way to make fully movable surfaces today but I think I should probably just KISS and go with a standard ft elevator hinge.
does that have an airfoil?
I can't really see it if its there.
There's an airfoil but it's thin, the spar is one thickness of fb. The wing area alone plus the sweep (vortex lift baby!) should provide plenty of lift, plus the canard.