What Did You Fly Today

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well I flew the mini scout and big yak today. I got vid and will see if I can get it posted later. I still need to adjust the throttle on the yak - as it is, it’s really only using 1/4 of the stick.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Musics is a bit disturbing. Unless it wasn't music and you where just stood next to some empty bottles, in a bottle bank and the wind was blowing over them ?

Yeah I thought the gloomy lighting and harsh winds made it appropriate to use some of the more ominous soundtracks from the Homeworld games. Was tempted to use some of their more dramatic ones but they drowned out the sound of the wind and the whistling and harsh blowing winds were a big part of what set the mood of the video to begin with. I do love the Homeworld OST - it's not so often you have one that fits the scene of a flying video.

I used one for a quad copter vid that was so overdramatic that in the video, I kinda felt I had to acknowledge that I was being a bit silly:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I didn't fly again today, the weather has been really :poop: lately constant rain, plus I overslept. So wasted half the day in bed the other half drinking :coffee: and playing catch up on my Scout project and messing with a nitro car.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
@Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes Why do you want a beergut? Just build a long ez and hang a huge motor on it.. lot of stuff that's easier to build that has more utility, even (shudder) a harmon rocket /derivative. Or a re-engined Maule, or even more horrific, something purpose designed in Eastern Europe.
I was talking about the long EZ when I said I'll probably own one sometime. The Berkut looks cool but they're too hard to get, and twice as expensive.

The FT LongEZ really doesn't do the design justice. It just doesn't look right without a tapering nose and the nice long wings. But what about doing an actual Berkut?
View attachment 189621
EDFs are expensive and I've got a U-2 to finish. You can build the SU-47.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Can I? That’s my next project
Even if I was building it I wouldn't mind, go for it.

In all seriousness I have something like 2 unfinished planes, a boat, and 3 more ideas that I need to finish before anything else. One of them is a Long EZ, then I've got the U-2 and probably something else lying around that I can't remember, then I've had plans for a PT-19 and a Mossie that I haven't even started yet.
I'm thinking I might try and start on a Long EZ today since I can probably knock it out in a few hours at the most.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Even if I was building it I wouldn't mind, go for it.

In all seriousness I have something like 2 unfinished planes, a boat, and 3 more ideas that I need to finish before anything else. One of them is a Long EZ, then I've got the U-2 and probably something else lying around that I can't remember, then I've had plans for a PT-19 and a Mossie that I haven't even started yet.
I'm thinking I might try and start on a Long EZ today since I can probably knock it out in a few hours at the most.
I have more. But I will totally make a 70mm Twin Beirut.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I didn't fly again today, the weather has been really :poop: lately constant rain, plus I overslept. So wasted half the day in bed the other half drinking :coffee: and playing catch up on my Scout project and messing with a nitro car.
Sounds like a productive day in my standards :)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Sounds like a productive day in my standards :)
It would have been productive if I had finished doing what I planned to do today.
Sadly the bottom panel of the fuselage still need some parts removing and the wings need cutting out too. Which I was hoping to have finished by today. I could have then started assembling the wings during the early hours, when it goes quiet here.
Now I am a day behind on my schedule, lets hope I can make up for it tomorrow and get up a bit earlier ;)(y)

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Engine decided to cease producing horsepower on climbout... I tried to circle back around and almost made the runway but had to dump it in the grass. No damage to the airframe other than a cracked wing peg but looks can be deceiving...

PXL_20210119_224829545.jpg

Initially I thought the engine died because it either ran out of fuel or went lean and detonated, but no, the reality is much worse...

PXL_20210119_235041232.jpg

Yeah anyone see the issue here? I think not having a physical connection between the crankshaft and piston would slow you down a bit. The conrod left a nice dent on the inside of the case and did a number on the backplate too. At least it looks like it happened on the downstroke which saved the valves from getting utterly destroyed if the piston was going the other way.

I have honestly no idea what I did to cause this or if I even did anything to. Running 500 rich of peak, always what I do for 4 cycles, so it had plenty of oil. I've heard of Saitos doing this occasionally but that's because for a while they had hollow stamped-in crankpins. Here the crankpin and crankshaft are all machined as one. Maybe some kinda microscopic metallurgical defect? I've got no clue...

So I guess for now I'm on the hunt for a crankshaft for an OS 52 Surpass.

Last edited:

dani1390

Engine decided to cease producing horsepower on climbout... I tried to circle back around and almost made the runway but had to dump it in the grass. No damage to the airframe other than a cracked wing peg but looks can be deceiving...

View attachment 189690

Initially I thought the engine died because it either ran out of fuel or went lean and detonated, but no, the reality is much worse...

View attachment 189691

Yeah anyone see the issue here? I think not having a physical connection between the crankshaft and piston would slow you down a bit. The conrod left a nice dent on the inside of the case and did a number on the backplate too. At least it looks like it happened on the downstroke which saved the valves from getting utterly destroyed if the piston was going the other way.

I have honestly no idea what I did to cause this or if I even did anything to. Running 500 rich of peak, always what I do for 4 cycles, so it had plenty of oil. I've heard of Saitos doing this occasionally but that's because for a while they had hollow stamped-in crankpins. Here the crankpin and crankshaft are all machined as one. Maybe some kinda microscopic metallurgical defect? I've got no clue...

So I guess for now I'm on the hunt for a crankshaft for an OS 52 Surpass.
Can you show a clear picture of the damaged parts of the crankshaft? If the connecting part of the crankshaft to the connecting rod is cut, the part can be repaired by making the pin.

Piotrsko

Master member
Lots of stuff that looks like rust. Only takes a wee pit in the journal crank interface to make a huge weak spot and I see evidence of the rod hitting the crank and scoring a groove. The pin shows what I call fretform corrosion.... rule of thumb in full size aircraft is: until the first power reduction, assume the engine will fail on climbout.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Rust was what I thought too but upon pulling the crank out, I found it's just castor gummage. Same with all the brown on the inside of the case. Just a toothbrush and a little heat was all it took to get rid of it. There's no rust anywhere that I can see. I'm guessing all the scratches in the crankweb happened when the crank kept spinning under the inertia of the propeller, and the jagged broken edges of the crankpin on the other side caused it. The side of the conrod with a bunch of damage is the one that hit the backplate a bunch of times (it is worth noting the crank is installed backwards in the photo - I put it back together for a reconstruction of how it looked when it came apart and forgot about that)

Care to explain fretform corrision?