TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1619494598214.png

Not this
1619494649146.png

One of these

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I had tale of two Maidens tonight. I have build two - No Waste Wings, one from Depron with no CF, and one using 3mm DGFB. I enjoyed flyingi both of them... but as they were a maiden and I had not pliers with me (doh!), they both were barely flyable. and they were unable to fly at high speeds. (and this wing wants tooo SPEEEED.) but even though I was fighting Rough tendencies, I really like flying them. I had a short but good time at the field thanks to the Tall Wheat, not of the panes saw major damage. I plane to install Landscaping wire for Pushrods in stead of the Mig Wire.
IMG_20210426_191825996_HDR.jpg IMG_20210426_191839131.jpg IMG_20210426_193843222_HDR.jpg IMG_20210426_193848480.jpg
IMG_20210426_195238553.jpg

I will add a vid... eventually, watch for it.

slowjo

Master member
I had tale of two Maidens tonight. I have build two - No Waste Wings, one from Depron with no CF, and one using 3mm DGFB. I enjoyed flyingi both of them... but as they were a maiden and I had not pliers with me (doh!), they both were barely flyable. and they were unable to fly at high speeds. (and this wing wants tooo SPEEEED.) but even though I was fighting Rough tendencies, I really like flying them. I had a short but good time at the field thanks to the Tall Wheat, not of the panes saw major damage. I plane to install Landscaping wire for Pushrods in stead of the Mig Wire.
View attachment 199148 View attachment 199149 View attachment 199150 View attachment 199151 View attachment 199152

those are cool

View attachment 199148 View attachment 199149 View attachment 199150 View attachment 199151 View attachment 199152

Yeah, sharp little planes. (y)

FoamyDM

those are cool
They are SIMPLE. Read the whole article. As I mistook the 2nd iteration as final. It wasn't. But they are very similar and this worked out well enough. The spar, being bare bones, could use an upgrade in cross-seam strength. So use the link to the article and build one. It will be done in under an hour.

They are SIMPLE. Read the whole article. As I mistook the 2nd iteration as final. It wasn't. But they are very similar and this worked out well enough. The spar, being bare bones, could use an upgrade in cross-seam strength. So use the link to the article and build one. It will be done in under an hour.
You said they're super fast. That's great. If you had AUW really low, what's to stop it from flying slow? Curious.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member

They look good.

FoamyDM

You said they're super fast. That's great. If you had AUW really low, what's to stop it from flying slow? Curious.

Oh, the depron goes... Slow. at 63g finish no-guts weight. It ran on a F-pack with a 1300 mAh 3S(120g). She's about half to 1/3 the DGFB no-guts weight. What stopped me was aileron deflection warp.
And a crash loosened the seem allow more vertical wiggle than is healthy. The c-horn wasn't central and the depron needs a stiffener for longer thin pieces. But that is what bbq or cf is for. :)

Consider this, these are built to swing an 8-9" prop so (B-C pack) I ran it on the F-pack. And it was too fast for the surface stiffness. (Both of them)

Oh, the depron goes... Slow. at 63g finish no-guts weight. It ran on a F-pack with a 1300 mAh 3S(120g). She's about half to 1/3 the DGFB no-guts weight. What stopped me was aileron deflection warp.
And a crash loosened the seem allow more vertical wiggle than is healthy. The c-horn wasn't central and the depron needs a stiffener for longer thin pieces. But that is what bbq or cf is for. :)

Consider this, these are built to swing an 8-9" prop so (B-C pack) I ran it on the F-pack. And it was too fast for the surface stiffness. (Both of them)
After I posted the question I thought it was a dumb question. It's simply a wing, so I think there should be no reason for it not to fly gentle & fairly slow. Do you mean as a depron model with a smaller motor it's super light, so it'll go slower for you?

FoamyDM

After I posted the question I thought it was a dumb question. It's simply a wing, so I think there should be no reason for it not to fly gentle & fairly slow. Do you mean as a depron model with a smaller motor it's super light, so it'll go slower for you?
The Depron version is 105g Lighter at 63g without the heavy core (I used the Same motor pod, motor, prop, Rx, 20a ESC and 1300 mah Batt. = 170g )

Overall weight is ~ Depron233g , DGFB - 338g 1/3 lighter with the Same lift, drag, and thrust.

Last edited:
The Depron version is 105g Lighter at 63g without the heavy core (I used the Same motor pod, motor, prop, Rx, 20a ESC and 1300 mah Batt. = 170g )

Overall weight is ~ Depron233g , DGFB - 338g 2/3 lighter with the Same lift, drag, and thrust.
Thx. After seeing your pics you got me wanting to build a wing. Never cared to until now. (y)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
No point flying this week, the weather is still :poop:, plus I am working until Sunday night anyway.
Next week is a better option anyway, I will have my Sea Otter finished and ready for its maiden, I can also have another go at flying the Simple Stick which is fully air worthy again. If I can pick up some 3mm wire locally, I will fix the Spitfire undercarriage and give that another try too.
Depending on the wind strength I might take my versa wing for a change, not flown it in almost a year. Think its time I flew Simple Cub again as well, that's not flown since I modified the wing incidence. Plenty to try out just hope the weather improves :unsure::rolleyes:.

FoamyDM

I flew this earlier in the week:

It is a test of Depron vs. DGFB
the two have thickness equivalency, but the DGFB and DTFB are the same weight for area (VERY close) and so is a good test to see the impact of the difference in weight comparison. However, I forgot my adjustment tool (NN pliers) at home so I was difficult to get them flying well.
both wanted to roll to the right. the whole flight.