What Did You Fly Today

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so i processed the video but i don't know if it's my old computer that can't handle it or if i messed something else up in settings. video is not smooth. kinda funny because it was before i processed.

either way, the video came in at almost 60 Gigabytes. no idea how you are supposed to be able to share a file this big. youtube says it will upload 360 video but i can't imagine they want to load 60G for free.

anyone who knows more than me please chime in. love to share. i know the quality is there based upon the pics i have been able to grab.

approch.jpg

Bo123

Elite member
so i processed the video but i don't know if it's my old computer that can't handle it or if i messed something else up in settings. video is not smooth. kinda funny because it was before i processed.

either way, the video came in at almost 60 Gigabytes. no idea how you are supposed to be able to share a file this big. youtube says it will upload 360 video but i can't imagine they want to load 60G for free.

anyone who knows more than me please chime in. love to share. i know the quality is there based upon the pics i have been able to grab.

View attachment 233616
Nah you should be able to upload 60gb. If you have good enough internet or good patience you should be fine.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Stopped by the club indoor fly to pay my annual dues at lunch yesterday. One of the guys needed help testing his drone so I got my first flight of the year in.

LB

Inq

Elite member
Yesterday was a great day! Two planes went out to fly and only one came back in a box. The other is still flyable! :cool:

Still learning to fly and just to make it more of a challenge... trying to aim the camera with the CapPod at the same time made my flights worse than if I didn't document it.

Inq

Elite member
Yeah, that's usually how that goes. The footage looked quite smooth. Did you use some kind of image stabilization, or just the cap?

I currently have an older Pixel 4a5G. It does have Video Stabilization. I have is set for the "Standard" level of stabilization, but it does have an "Active" version. I thought I had it set for that, but it doesn't retain that setting. I have to set it every time. I'll try to remember that in the future to see if it improves the stability... but...

You'll see that it'll sometimes be right on the plane. That's when I'm focusing on... aiming the camera. But, my attention then focuses on keeping the plane flying and forget about the aimer right in front of my eye and you'll see the plane move off center and out of the frame entirely. The aimer in front of my eye seems to do a very good job... as long as I'm doing my job of aiming it. Otherwise, I'm tracking the plane with my eyeballs and not my head... it goes to pot.

The key point is... this was done at only 2X magnification. The camera will do 5X. Unfortunately, that makes aiming even more critical.

Maybe someday. Maybe I need to practice chewing bubble-gum, walking, rubbing my belly and patting my head at the same time while reciting Shakespearean prose. :ROFLMAO:

mastermalpass

Elite member
Winds too rough for flying today, so took a land model out instead. A fun little toy my partner got me for Christmas:

Screenshot_20230114_152657_Gallery.jpg

Those omni-wheels allow it to go sideways and forwards 45° off from its front. Or, at least they do on hard surfaces; the wheel-sides dig in when you try it on leaves and moss. But as a regular buggy it's pretty capable, the steering has both front and rear axles on ball sockets - it can also use those ball sockets to raise itself up for more ground clearence:

Screenshot_20230114_152708_Gallery.jpg

The only drawback is the 'toy grade' nature of it. It runs on four AAA batteries... I'm not sure how many amps that produces but it's definitely not enough to climb a 20° slope. And for the MaH you get, it's a bit of an expensive way to power a model. The outer plastic shell is held together entirely with screws though. So I'm gonna have a look inside and see if there's room inside for a LiPo and maybe some beefier ESCs as well!

Brian B

Elite member
As they say, with enough power even a brick will fly. My Flying Fortress maidened just fine. Need to tweak wing incidence, expore flight does envelop, but otherwise did good, even with the weight of the speaker system, hollering out French Knight insults the whole flight.
20230114_105059.jpg
20230115_093153.jpg

Tench745

Master member
Nice. Something to play with, try reducing your throttle to somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 and then adding in up elevator until the plane can hold altitude while flying slowly. In this nose-high attitude, throttle will control how fast the plane decends. You will need to increase throttle in turns to keep the plane from sinking. Once you get the hang of nose-high level flight you can practice reducing throttle little by little and the plane will begin to descend. This is the setup for a 3-point landing.

Inq

Elite member
As they say, with enough power even a brick will fly. My Flying Fortress maidened just fine. Need to tweak wing incidence, expore flight does envelop, but otherwise did good, even with the weight of the speaker system, hollering out French Knight insults the whole flight.

Ni! Ni! Ni! We need video... we need video... we need video.

From a complete novice standpoint, can I fly this?

Brian B

Elite member
Ni! Ni! Ni! We need video... we need video... we need video.

From a complete novice standpoint, can I fly this?
Maiden was solo, but Yes, you got to hear the onboard soundtrack when flying. I'll video while someone else flies it.

I think you could handle, since 'm not that great, and could handle it fine. You could play it safe and use a safe receiver or other cheap gyro. I've only flown it a once so far, at relatively high speed, but I think I can slow it down with the increased incidence, and getting more flight time to see low speed handling. But I'd definitely redo the wing with a thicker section. It might not glide well if when motor-off it doesn't throw enough clear air over the elevator. And that air might get real dirty at high alpha, with those castle-ated features. I'll let you know more (and I need to figure how to upload a decent video), but so far it flies totally normal.