What Did You Fly Today

mastermalpass

Elite member
The Warthog 64mm 5 bladed EDF is a success!!!!

After all the modifications and finally getting the EDF's right, it tore the 300' x 300ft up easily and did sharp left and right turns with differential thrust, going from slow to a quick burst of speed even landing downwind. So I declare it worthy of flight.

So it will have to wait until I can go to a open flying field, so now I am going to watch U-tube videos so I can duplicate the Warthog maneuvers.

Nice to see it swooping through the air so confidently, I remember you saying this one's been quite a struggle getting to a flyable point.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Weather was forecast to be pretty windy and rainy today, but my partner and I noticed there were breaks in it. So I charged up a quick 2S and headed out to the spot I flew the MiG-29 in last week. If I can fly, nice! If I can't, no worries, I wasn't expecting to today anyway. The HalfPipe Delta was the plane of choice - the most easy going model in the fleet.

Never thought I'd find a field where being painted green actually helps the plane stick out:

DazDaMan

Elite member
Perfect flying conditions this morning, if a little cold, so I took FT Spitfire #2 out for a spin.

Aaaand that was almost literally the case. Somehow, even with the battery all the way up to the firewall, the Spit was really tail-heavy, so I had to throttle it right back to keep control (maybe about 30%). I almost lost it a couple of times, and just barely managed to save it from piling in twice!

Not my finest hour, but the plane survived, at least!

mastermalpass

Elite member
Same place, same plane, same forecast, pretty much. But once again, a few differences. Today, the sun came out a bit. The wind was interesting; it would pick up to strong gusts up to what I guess is 17mph then after 30 seconds it would die down to being dead calm. Also it was inconsistent, at times I could feel no wind, but where the plane was it was getting buffeted all over the place!

The Halfpipe is perfectly fine in a strong wind when facing it head-on, but when side-on, you really don't know how much roll input you're gonna need in order to turn. 😂 The strategy here is to take advantage of the stable pitch axis and do verticals, loops and J-turns. However, when trying to get into a position to start a landing approach, I attempted a J-turn a bit too close to the ground. I got upright in time before the impact, but the vertical ground-slam was still a bit much and put a crack in the tail:

As you can see, I've patched up three cracks in this model already, so I should be fine to just patch this one up as well.

F.K1999

Today I flew my Trainer again (yes, it’s my main workhorse), and air-launched foamboard prototype glider for my future project. It flew away, but proved this concept. Final 3D printed design should fly even better, and it will get a small rocket engine. So I’ll build this rocket powered and free flight stuff again, because it’s much cheaper, faster to build and more suitable for testing some weird and high-risk designs and techniques.

L Edge

Master member
Flew Triangle today after sitting in the cellar for years. Having a blended wing from nose to tail, it is a weird one to fly. At fast speeds, it nose up quickly and is a handful, does a bunch of weird maneuvers especially if you have gusty winds.

At cruising speed, it settles out nicely with very little interaction. With town workers on the soccer field, did not have a chance to fine tune it.
Still have to work on getting the hat cam line up and need to pick a better day with light.

Shurik-1960

L Edge . I advise you to remove all electronics from this model and put it on another model, which gives great pleasure from flying in any wind.This model is made in a couple of evenings from the Flite test material.

The Fopster

Master member
Yesterday I flew this - my first attempt at designing a jet. Lots of inspiration from flitetest and Jetworks online build techniques. It’s designed to be as simple as possible to build, and unbelievably it flies quite well! Material is a depron type foam used for insulation - 6mm thick sheets. Fan is a QX-Motor 64mm currently running off a 3s 2200 battery. I’m I know it flies I may invest in a couple of 4s batteries!

MaxTheFliteFreak

Yesterday I flew this - my first attempt at designing a jet. Lots of inspiration from flitetest and Jetworks online build techniques. It’s designed to be as simple as possible to build, and unbelievably it flies quite well! Material is a depron type foam used for insulation - 6mm thick sheets. Fan is a QX-Motor 64mm currently running off a 3s 2200 battery. I’m I know it flies I may invest in a couple of 4s batteries!

View attachment 236389
Looks great! Paint it red and add some other details to make it a Red Arrow.

L Edge

Master member
Done with the blended wing body-Triangle- and got a run in this morning showing what it can do from normal flight plus a lot of high alpha flying. Again, modified the "Udder Rudder" so there is a flow across the rudder to handle cross winds.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Done with the blended wing body-Triangle- and got a run in this morning showing what it can do from normal flight plus a lot of high alpha flying. Again, modified the "Udder Rudder" so there is a flow across the rudder to handle cross winds.

Very nice! Reminds me of the Venture Star Spaceplane. I like how it can go into a complete hover and then just pitch down to carry on again. It looks like it lives in high alpha, how well does it do when you punch it in level flight?

mastermalpass

Elite member
Took the Kaddy up over Exemoor when the rains and winds finally subsided.
Screenshot_20230326_195429_Gallery.jpg

This time it went up with a special mount I made to attach under the gear and hold a camera pointed about 45° down. Was a nice long 10 min flight. Unfortunately, I put it down in the rough and my rudder work needs a little, well, work! So the wheels went into the grass with a bit of side loading and the whole assembly was torn clean off.
Screenshot_20230326_200159_Gallery.jpg

Good news is, when I say ripped clean off, I mean clean!
Screenshot_20230326_200208_Gallery.jpg

The wood concentrated the force along a straight edge. My challenge now is to figure out how I can mount it back on in such a way that I can spread the load out along the fuselage.

L Edge

Master member
Very nice! Reminds me of the Venture Star Spaceplane. I like how it can go into a complete hover and then just pitch down to carry on again. It looks like it lives in high alpha, how well does it do when you punch it in level flight?

If you punch it, it goes real fast. If you do not add nose down(because of the airfoil body) it tends to go into a flip. So you have to give nose down to correct it to fly forward.
Launching into a gust requires almost horizontal for having a large flat plate if it up or down will send it to the ground or almost straight up.