What do I need to know to fly legally?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
With all the hype about the latest FAA stuff, I'm not sure what's going on and what I need to be doing to be able to legally fly today. Not in 5 months, but today. What it looks like to me from my research, I need to register my plane with the FAA ($5) and fly in a place that doesn't have any airspace restrictions. When the new remote identification laws come into effect, all we need to do is have an app on our phone and state the area we plan to fly and for how long, correct? I got this from the video that @Merv posted:

Thanks

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Be sure to put the FAA number on all your planes/quads.
EDIT Also need to carry the FAA pocket ID card on your person. They email it to you with the number, just print it out.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
One number for you, the owner. Then put that number on ALL your planes, no matter how many planes/quads you have.
Ok, good to know. I get that at the Police office, right? Do they give you stickers with the number on it or do you just write it on the plane?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
No, Get it here https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone/

Put the number on the plane, just like your AMA identification, you all do that don't you.
I printed out my name, address, phone number, AMA number & FAA number on "plain" paper and packing tape it to the underside of plane.
I just do my AMA and FAA numbers I'm not going to put my personal information on my plane.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It's the responsible thing to do. God forbid that my plane causes any damage to anyone or thing. If so, I want to make it right. The AMA will back my up with 2.5 million worth of liability insurance. Besides it's an AMA requirement
Ok, I'll look more into that. Thanks. But does that mean I need to put all my personal info on every plane of mine?