What do I need to know to fly legally?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
After flying alone for 10 years, flying with friends is WAY more fun.

That's one of the reasons I joined a club - the people I fly with are almost ALWAYS in a good mood (unless they've crashed, and even then, sometimes they're still smiling and laughing about it!). I also joined because they were willing to teach me how to fly something other than quads, for free. :)

Oh, and having a bunch of guys who help me to build combat wings with the express purpose of trying to fly them into each other? MUCH more fun than flying alone. :)

Captain Video

Check out this FAA link for more information:
https://www.faa.gov/news/search/?searchString=uas&newsTypeId=-1
There is a public comment period for the proposed law that started on the first. You should also contact your representative and let them know you are unhappy about the proposed rule and they should not support as it is written.. There is alot of information which clearly indicates the FAA does not really understand what Recreational flying is.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
There is a public comment period for the proposed law that started on the first. You should also contact your representative and let them know you are unhappy about the proposed rule and they should not support as it is written.. There is alot of information which clearly indicates the FAA does not really understand what Recreational flying is.

I'll be calling my state representative!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ve heard different things from different people. According to the video in the first post, we (as recreational pilots) will only need to have a phone app and create a “flight plan” before we fly. Bixler said there won’t be anything on the plane. That I’m ok with and although it’s a small pain, is a step in the right direction. Is there more to it than that that will affect me as a recreational pilot?

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I’ve heard different things from different people. According to the video in the first post, we (as recreational pilots) will only need to have a phone app and create a “flight plan” before we fly. Bixler said there won’t be anything on the plane. That I’m ok with and although it’s a small pain, is a step in the right direction. Is there more to it than that that will affect me as a recreational pilot?

The video is from September the new proposals make it more restrictive for pilots. the phone app draw your airspace was reasonable and was already established. However this has changed in the new purposed rule.. You have a 400x400 bubble now. Now tell me what RC aircraft over a small park flyer will stay within 400 feet distance from you. Altitude fine, however distance is a tad more unreasonable. Also the fact that the data is available to the public. This is major security and privacy concern for those why fly at their house or there own land at there house. I do not want the public to know where I live and fly as don't want to be harassed or robbed. safety of my family and property is #1.. Also the purposed rule makes it where if we want to fly scrach build non manufactured planes we would have to fly within a fixed site. AKA AMA field. This is tough for some of us who do not live any where close to an AMA field but have safe places to fly like parks and fields.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The video is from September the new proposals make it more restrictive for pilots. the phone app draw your airspace was reasonable and was already established. However this has changed in the new purposed rule.. You have a 400x400 bubble now. Now tell me what RC aircraft over a small park flyer will stay within 400 feet distance from you. Altitude fine, however distance is a tad more unreasonable. Also the fact that the data is available to the public. This is major security and privacy concern for those why fly at their house or there own land at there house. I do not want the public to know where I live and fly as don't want to be harassed or robbed. safety of my family and property is #1.. Also the purposed rule makes it where if we want to fly scrach build non manufactured planes we would have to fly within a fixed site. AKA AMA field. This is tough for some of us who do not live any where close to an AMA field but have safe places to fly like parks and fields.
Thanks for the info. That is a bit concerning. I think the closest ama field in over an hour away but I’d have to check on that to be sure.

Captain Video

That is correct. With some basic understanding of electronics, radio technology and common sense, most people can pass this test. I am in my fifties and took the test without reviewing any of the study material and passed with a decent score. So, technically, you need to test for the liscence to use fpv. Historically, you needed to know another language: Morse Code. Not any more. I will take the test this year to be legit but you need to find a place that gives the test.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Just a few questions I noticed that I don't think have been answered yet. I took a commercial drone pilot's course at my college last semester jsut thinking it looked interesting, I loved it and that's actually why I joined the hobby. The course outlined rules and regulations for Part 107 Commercial Drone Pilots and Hobbyists, with the expectation that we would get our Part 107 licenses. I'll be taking my test shortly.
Does anyone have a map that shows where you can fly or not? I’m unsure of the place I’ve been flying at.
There are a few apps that I like to use, the best one in my opinion is Kittyhawk. It's a GPS-type app that provides local airspace information, weather, kp index, etc. Another one is FAA B4UFLY, which is powered by Kittyhawk but lists far less information. Neither of these list TFRs, however, I believe you need to use the FAA's SUAS Facility Map for updated information on those.

@Merv do you know if their is a certain amount of feet you can fly on your property without a license?
There is not, legally the FAA owns all airspace all the way to the ground. They do not own airspace within buildings, so indoor flying inside a large gym is outside their jurisdiction.

mach1 rc

Master member
There is not, legally the FAA owns all airspace all the way to the ground. They do not own airspace within buildings, so indoor flying inside a large gym is outside their jurisdiction.[/QUOTE]
In the good old days didn't you own up till airspace started?