What do I need to know to fly legally?

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Would I need a HAM licence and if so, how can I get that?
No, that falls under FCC jurisdiction and they can't make rules for aircraft. If you're using a radio to communicate with aircraft or ATC for avoidance than probably, but not to fly the plane.

There is not, legally the FAA owns all airspace all the way to the ground. They do not own airspace within buildings, so indoor flying inside a large gym is outside their jurisdiction.
In the good old days didn't you own up till airspace started?[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure, maybe?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have never heard of anyone being busted for that, especially not a whoop.
Yeah, I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal, especially since I’m keeping it in the house, although on a nice day I may go play around the trees though... :)

FDS

Elite member
I just bought an Eachine 013. It’s been great for the money.
When its board died I put a better one in there then flew it off my main radio. I only just swapped the motors out for new ones after a year.
The Mobula 6 is very good too if you want brushless.

Legendary member
On the Horizon Hobby Inductrix fpv + site it says you need a HAM license to operate it in the US...
I may be an old law that got phased out, or just rumor. With the way the industry is right now laws are changing so quickly sometimes even government websites are wrong. Newport Beach, Ca's official city government website has some incredibly out of date information on their site from almost 10 years ago, and they still haven't fixed it! I've never heard of anyone needing a HAM license to fly a drone though, even FPV. We played around with the DJI FPV system a lot in my class, the professor keeps everything very up to date and nobody said anything about HAM licensing.

Legendary member
No, but I really want one! I think I’ll be getting one here as I have a gift card I could use for it. I think it will be a blast to zip around the house!
I kinda want to get a whoop too, but I build so many planes I don't really have the money for a decent FPV system. I have a lot of brothers (never would've guessed!) and I think they would be awesome to race each other around the house with, but nobody else in my family shares my manic fascination with expensive flying machines.

FDS

Elite member
The Eachine 800D goggles are $50, they do variable focal length ones for a similar price. All the whoops have built in VTX and camera included, the 25Mw ones are fine inside. I run them with kids for work, the batteries for the Eachine are $12 for 5 220mah ones on Amazon etc.
They are great fun to fly together. Or get a cheap AoI camera and add it to the “combat drones” then go dogfighting.
We put the AOI cameras in RC cars too, now we go drift or car park racing when it's no good for flying.

Legendary member
The Eachine 800D goggles are $50, they do variable focal length ones for a similar price. All the whoops have built in VTX and camera included, the 25Mw ones are fine inside. I run them with kids for work, the batteries for the Eachine are $12 for 5 220mah ones on Amazon etc.
They are great fun to fly together. Or get a cheap AoI camera and add it to the “combat drones” then go dogfighting.
We put the AOI cameras in RC cars too, now we go drift or car park racing when it's no good for flying.
I might just give that a try on one of my wings.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm going to get some cheapo echines or maybe the emax $44 diversity goggles.

Captain Video

The FCC liscencing is related to operation of the FPV transmitting gear. I believe to be a First class liscence. Don't quote me on that though.