What do you hate about other people's RC Flying videos?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
OK. I'm not normally a fan of negative threads. Nor do I usually approve of negativity towards fellow hobbyists, but I think a little friendly criticism can be beneficial here...

I want feedback. My RC videos can always use improvement. So I was thinking if I could avoid some of the same traps that other video makers have fallen into I could end up with a better finished product that I and the people I force them on could actually enjoy.

Flite Test has spoiled me. ;) Before Flite Test, even the "professionals" were putting out crummy videos. Now the online hobby store videos have started adding fancy intros, creative camera angles, putting hosts together that have the same first name, even using an old tv in the opening scenes in an effort to try to capture whatever extra quality that seems to come so naturally to the Flite Test team.

Ok, so we can't compare to them, but maybe I can learn something. Either by trying to do the things that seem to work in the Flite Test videos, or by recognizing what I don't like in other videos, and making sure I don't make the same mistakes.

Oh... if you voice a complaint, try to present a solution. For example. The video maker could do more editing and cut out the dead parts where there's no action going on.

One of my pet peeves in RC videos is the long unedited flights that look like the cameraman tried to overdose on expressos while drinking Red Bull shooters trying to follow a little dot through the sky.

My suggestions... Break up the scenes. Edit out the boring or repetitive parts. Fly the plane closer to the camera. Use a tripod to steady the shots, or build a rig to hold the camera more comfortably.

My other frustration is a lack of story. While I don't expect every video to look like it was a Flite Test production, I would prefer there to be some sort of meaning to it. The videos that look like someone realized they not only owned a camera, but they had an RC plane, might as well just hit record then post the results on youtube can not hold my interest.

My suggestions here, think about why you wanted to film the plane flying, and express that to me through the video scenes, your narration (either during the flight, or dubbed in during the edit.) Try to make sure there's a beginning a middle and an end.

One of my new favorite videos was done by someone who posted a written history of the ghost town he flew to, and around. He picked an interesting subject, the ghost town. He described everything from the first home owner to the last resident to leave. It was an interesting story that I kept watching to learn what happened next.

To be fair, I'll post a video I shot and edited yesterday. It's far from perfect. I see lots of flaws in it. I rushed to post it, and tried to edit it while I was half asleep, I filmed the beginning after my first flight almost as an afterthought. (Is that enough excuses, or should I continue?) What I tried to do right, was film from some different angles, edit out some of the repetitive flight scenes and the parts too shaky to be watchable.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
11 views and no one has ever watched a RC video they didn't love?

It's the videos I added, isn't it? You clicked on the links, and then clicked on the suggested videos, and now you're stuck in YouTube limbo and can't return to comment.

I understand...

Liemavick

Mentor
#1 don'ts with me on videos Ive seen is having audio of the electric motor the whole time. Ive shot and edited ONE video of flying and even I could figure out how to add music.

#2 Unless your flying FPV over a topless beach in California keep your flight videos less then 3 or 4 mins, I really dont need to see the snow covered ground and trees for 20 mins.

#3 When you fly the plane towards yourself don't wave, it just looks corny lol

#4 If your name is David W., carry on. You have posted some of my favorite FPV videos.

My flight video shot from the ground with hand held GoPro2 (#5 get a real camera if your going to attempt this, not a go pro lol)

earthsciteach

Basically, if you want to post a good quality video of flying, look at any of mine and do the complete opposite. I'm HORRIBLE at it!
So bad, in fact, that I have yet to replace my keychain camera that I fried in the Atlantic surf over a year ago. I shouldn't be allowed a camera and Internet access. I'm trying to self-regulate.

I like the back story idea. FlyingMonkey is quite the entertaining writer when chronicling his bike adventures. That type of narration would really make for an interesting video. Maybe I'll put forth that sort of effort one of these days. Perhaps it could be in the documentation of our forthcoming TRIP TO OLDE RHINEBECK AERODROME. SEE THE LINKS IN MY SIGNATURE FOR DETAILS. YOU TOO COULD BE A PART OF THIS GRAND ADVENTURE! Shameless plug is now finished.

I will say, in defense of my horrid video production, that IMovie annoys me and I'm inpatient with it. So, it's really all Apple's fault.

Bollie

All of the above :) Keep it short, add some music, use the quad to product a video about something other than just 10 minutes of sunsets and landscape. Cut all the good bits so your just left with the awesome bits.

I'm up to video #2 now and still learning heaps. I only have a go pro so I have to cut most of the footage because the plane is a small dot in the sky. My approach is - I'm out with my mates having fun, I'll capture as much footage as I can without much, if any, thought to editing. Then go through the footage get rid of all the crap, cut all the good bits so I end up with just the best bits then add some music.

It's mostly just for friends and family to watch but it anyone else out there enjoys them then that's a bonus.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Flying videos pretty much suck. I've seen very few besides FT, Dave W, BMSWeb, TBS, some of ilovetoflyfpv and the occasional HK product video that do a good job. DHSRacer has also done some good ones. Even Bruce's flying vids are generally horrible (however his other stuff is GREAT). That may sound like a lot of good stuff, but there's a hell of a lot out there. As a general rule, less is more. Good music, a story or a (short) competition...

I, like Teach, make horrible videos (not that I've seen his to really judge...). I just stopped doing it, rather than take Teach's extreme measure of dunking my camera in salt water. I saw a horrible statistic today that three days of video are uploaded to Youtube every minute! Don't be another statistic!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I don't like videos that are only the camera's view with no shots of the plane. I like to know what I'm riding in. I don't like drawn out videos with nothing interesting. There's just too much of that already. I try to make things interesting, whether it's a different view, or better yet several views put together, throw in a smooth loop or something that will look cool. Sometimes I like to hear the sounds of the machine flying, I honestly don't care for most of the music people put on their videos. I also like to see different things like float planes and helis, not just tricopter footage all day.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I DETEST any video that makes me go to YouTube to watch it because it contains music that is protected.
Why would you imbed the video if that is the condition instead of just providing a link is the big mystery to me.
I also do not like any music attached to a video with lyrics.

Rant mode on:
And although it is off topic I have had it with stores
that insist on videos of products on every isle and music blaring throughout the store. I do not need music to buy
hardware at a big box store.

Yes I am one of those fanatics that has NO television service due to offensive content on every station and excessive
commercials. 7+ years without the beast now.

Rant mode off.

Thurmond

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Basically, if you want to post a good quality video of flying, look at any of mine and do the complete opposite. I'm HORRIBLE at it!

I've seen them. He's not exaggerating. His videos are a great lesson in how not to do it... :p

I like the back story idea. FlyingMonkey is quite the entertaining writer when chronicling his bike adventures. That type of narration would really make for an interesting video. Maybe I'll put forth that sort of effort one of these days. Perhaps it could be in the documentation of our forthcoming TRIP TO OLDE RHINEBECK AERODROME. SEE THE LINKS IN MY SIGNATURE FOR DETAILS. YOU TOO COULD BE A PART OF THIS GRAND ADVENTURE! Shameless plug is now finished.

I forgot to tell you earthsciteach... it's not exactly unauthorized anymore. Not that it's being funded or anything, but Chad and I spoke about it. Details to follow.

I will say, in defense of my horrid video production, that IMovie annoys me and I'm inpatient with it. So, it's really all Apple's fault.

It's a poor carpenter that blames his tools. I love iMovie. Great product.

I don't like videos that are only the camera's view with no shots of the plane. I like to know what I'm riding in.

Awesome point. This thread is fodder for another project I have planned. You just made the list... ;)

I DETEST any video that makes me go to YouTube to watch it because it contains music that is protected.
Why would you imbed the video if that is the condition instead of just providing a link is the big mystery to me.
I also do not like any music attached to a video with lyrics.
Thurmond

Is that what that's all about? I was wondering why that happened.

Oh, your post made the list too. Thanks.

I have used "copyrighted" music in the past. Now I either use the stock music in iMovie (which I try not to do, except when I'm being lazy, because as I watch more videos edited with iMovie, you keep hearing the same music over and over.)

Do a search for Royalty Free music, and you can find plenty of songs with and without lyrics to use in your videos, as long as you're not profiting financially from it.

Closing shameless self promotion... as to the trip that earthsciteach mentioned, we'll be making an aviation pilgrmage to two museums this July.

First we'll be visiting the National Air and Space museum by Dulles.

Then we'll be visiting the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.

Anyone is welcome. The more the merrier. You get into the aerodrome for half price if you dress in period clothing. Not that I would even dream of doing something so silly...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handlebar-M...2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=370773 631857&ps=54

There will be a video report for the trip. It's been a while since I've put one together, but I hope it should turn out something like this one...

earthsciteach

Well, you are NOT going to buzz my head. But, do feel free to bring me a special chair. Looks comfy!

Hmmm... Period dress. Now, where can I get some balloon pants? I have the leather flight jacket covered. Used to have a silk scarf, too.

I have no idea what a scramble dog is, but your bro was tearing it up! Looks amazing!

FlyinMonkey said:
I've seen them. He's not exaggerating. His videos are a great lesson in how not to do it... :p"

Hey, now! Um, yeah, I can't deny that. Truth is, I've been pretty lazy when it comes to editing any flight videos. I CAN do better, but I find watching my own flight videos boring. Although I do like this one:
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">

We definitely will have to do some flying at Highpoint while you are up here, Fred. It is an amazing place! Maybe I'll even spring for an fpv setup by July.

JasonEricAnderson

Disclaimer: I'm greenhorn new to the hobby and haven't put out any videos (yet). As a long time viewer of countless RC youtube videos here is what I like seeing.

Preamble
Introduce what you are flying and generally where you are flying and what kind of conditions. "Just tooling around with my FT cruiser near a country road in central Ohio" That short description sets the stage.

Sound
Several people have already mentioned that having the whine of the motor as your entire soundtrack can be a turn off. If you don't have music to add that's fine, maybe just lower the volume once it is in the air and raise the levels backup at the end or durring taxing maneuvers.

A bigger thing for me than the motor sound is wind. I really don't enjoy hearing the 'whoush woooshsuu shsushsu shsush' of an inexpensive microphone on a windy day. Or the sound of the wind rushing right into a microphone that is on a plane.

Editing
I like videos that keep it to the highlights and the best bits. I don't like videos where you see someone take off and then 90% of the video is following a tiny speck. Unless there is some fascinating narration to go along with that speck I'm not likely to finish watching.

Wrap-up
Personally I like videos that offer a full parts list at the end or in the description (Including TX/RX FPV gear, cameras, etc.). A big part of sharing in a hobby, to me at least, is 'here is what I did and here is what I used to do it so you can try to do it too'. As someone new to the hobby this type of information is invaluable.

I'm going to document my progress in RC flight in the hopes that some part of it may help someone else who's sitting on the fence thinking of getting into it.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Well, you are NOT going to buzz my head. But, do feel free to bring me a special chair. Looks comfy!

Those are the Zero G Chairs. They are awesome. I doubt they'll fit in my carry on luggage though.

Hmmm... Period dress. Now, where can I get some balloon pants? I have the leather flight jacket covered. Used to have a silk scarf, too.

MC Hammer?

I have no idea what a scramble dog is, but your bro was tearing it up! Looks amazing!

Two hot dogs in the buns, covered in cole slaw, covered in chili, covered in cheese, with oyster crackers. It's awesome

We definitely will have to do some flying at Highpoint while you are up here, Fred. It is an amazing place! Maybe I'll even spring for an fpv setup by July.

July is going to be fantastic. I intend to do a full video documentary of the trip. Anyone that meets up with us, will be featured (unless they don't want to be).