What Do you Think of the Not So New Master Series Spitfire?

5546dug

My question is simple to some.
the complete build of my ordered master build will be too large for transport.
What would you do to make removable wings?
Thanks guys!
Doug

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
My question is simple to some.
the complete build of my ordered master build will be too large for transport.
What would you do to make removable wings?
Thanks guys!
Doug
Simple answer, build my mini master series Spitfire.
Self promotion out of they way, you could try using rubber bands like the original Spitfire, or try retrofitting a bolt system to screw the wing in place.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I wonder if you watch the regular Spitfire video if the method they use to make that model with a removable wing could be adapted for the MS?
It looks like it would be really easy to do the same removable wings like some have done with the Corsair or P-47. With a hook and magnet system using the hatch to lock it all in, like this...

The Fopster

Master member
My P47 uses a very low tech removable wing using some paint sticks and some velcro. Can grab some pictures if anyone is interested. Not as slick as that (amazing!) chrome version but quick and simple...

The Fopster

Master member
Let's see it, what you got?
First picture - the wing. Three bits of paint stick - two short ones at the front locate the leading edge, and the one along the centreline stiffens this portion of the wing to take the load.
Second picture - two short pieces of paint stick give a hard wearing surface for the wing location sticks to meet at the front. Positioned so the draught excluder foam on the wing saddle is slightly compressed when the front of the wing is dropped into place.
Third picture - the white foam structure forms a bridge between the battery box and the rear bulkhead. Velcro is hooked under the bridge. Wing saddle has doubler foam added.
Picture four - wing in situ. Front locates under the wooden surfaces, compressing the draught foam. Rear pressed down to compress the foam, and the Velcro strap tightened. Voila.
Idea was inspired by the Ben Harber monster B52 which had a Velcro strap system to locate the removable wing. Nothing new under the sun!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sorry about the mud. Occupational hazard for belly lander in winter.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
And I see you reinforced the sides of the fuse with extra FB as well. I have seen some use balsa sheeting

The Fopster

Master member
And I see you reinforced the sides of the fuse with extra FB as well. I have seen some use balsa sheeting
So far foam doublers seem to work fine. Power pod , not so much! Despite decent landings can't seem to avoid prop strikes, and pulled firewall off. Need to make a new power pod tomorrow, and I'll try going down to 9" prop (but seems John Overstreet flies these with a 10" without issues - must be me...)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So far foam doublers seem to work fine. Power pod , not so much! Despite decent landings can't seem to avoid prop strikes, and pulled firewall off. Need to make a new power pod tomorrow, and I'll try going down to 9" prop (but seems John Overstreet flies these with a 10" without issues - must be me...)
That's the P-47 right? Are you running 3s or 4s?

The Fopster

Master member
3s, and not short of power for how I fly. Motor is a 2830 1200kv - seems more than up to the job. Flies very light and slows down nicely for landing. Working on own design for my next one!

The Fopster

Master member
Let me know how the 9" prop works on it, out of curiosity
Flew this morning with a 9x6 master airscrew electric prop off a 3s battery. Flew with no problems - I'm sure the aerobatic maestro's would have wanted more power but it was plenty just to "fly around a bit"!
That said, the master series spit will be lower drag and lower frontal area, so even better. I'll have to build one at some point this year...