What do you use for pushrods?

Snardo

So, I'm dabbling in the world of foam scratch builds and have come to the point where I have to ask: what do you use for push rods and where do you buy yours? How do you decide what diameter they need to be? Clevis or Z-bend? Thanks!

-Snardo

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I want to use CF-rods or tubes to get the best strength / weight.
1 mm for ultra Micro.
2 mm for parkflyer
3-5 mm tubes for 40-60 size.
Short parts, Z-ends and L-ends for "clevises" in "music wire". 0.8 mm for the smallest up to 2.5 mm.
I am lucky to buy building materials at my local club.

JasonEricAnderson

So far I use Music Wire (.047). I've done z bends but to try it out I got a pair of clevis from Great Planes and soldered the brass threaded end cap to the music wire.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Almost forgot an old trick.
Bicycle Wheel spokes normally had the same threads as the standard steel clevises.
Use in both ends of the push rod.

knife-edge

So, I'm dabbling in the world of foam scratch builds and have come to the point where I have to ask: what do you use for push rods and where do you buy yours? How do you decide what diameter they need to be? Clevis or Z-bend? Thanks!

-Snardo

I just finished my ft spitfire. Before I always used zbends, but this time I ordered the recommended speed clevis' from hobbyking. I still used zbends on the control surface horns, but I used the speed clevis' in the servo arm. I quite like how it worked. I used the recommended piano wire size as well.

I successfully used the following on my FT Versa Wing:

* Connector to secure pushrod to servo arm:
Mini E/Z Connector (for .047 pushrod)
http://shop.dubro.com/p/mini-e-z-connector-qty-pkg-2/aircraft_e-z-connectors?pp=12

Pushrods:
.047 size pushrod music wire
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/music-wire-36-047-20--K~S502

* Connector to secure pushrod to control horn:
Micro E/Z Link (.047) by Dubro Products (DUB920)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/micro-e-z-link-047--DUB920

* Control horns:
E-flite (EFLA211)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/micro-control-horns-2-v2--EFLA211

(Note on this last one; I had to stretch one of the holes slightly in order for the .047 wire to fit through. I first heated pushrod at the end then push/pull through control horn).

tramsgar

Almost forgot an old trick.
Bicycle Wheel spokes normally had the same threads as the standard steel clevises.
Use in both ends of the push rod.

Hehe that's a good one! I'll remember that in times of need, just go harvest at the bike parking outside my house =). I bet pushrods and spokes come from the same factory in China...

Oh, and hub caps are great frisbees!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Tig Welding Filler wire. I have 6AL4V Titanium, 2 types of aluminum, Stainless steel and mild steel.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I found a guy on eBay that has different sizes of stainless wire at great prices. Seems like it's the same wire used for making trolling bait rigs...:cool: Works great and ends up at roughly .20 cent each. Cheapest I have found lately as he has free shipping...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Flags are another good cheap source, surprised it took this long for someone to point them out! (I completely forget about flags....)

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I started out using flags as well, but lately I've been using the recommended music wire. I use the flags in applications where I need more rigid pushrods.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I tried wire flags but didn't like how thick they are. I started using paper clips but that only works when the servo is really, really close to the control surface. I've had no issues doing this and it's great because it's thin enough to easily bend by hand and will not bend during flight, only during a crash. But you can pull on the control surface to get it back to exactly where you want it.

I just started using bamboo skewers with a notch cut into each end and then using a paper clip wrapped around the skewer, into the notch, to attach it to the servo and control horn. I'm considering writing an article about that method. I've only tried it once though.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
With Z-bend pliers, thickness becomes a non issue. Granted not everyone has a set, so I understand using other avenues...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yeah or how about "that item I thought was hype but now I can't live without it".

FeWolf

I use marker flags you can get a bundle of 50 for a few bucks at Lowes. I also use the wire on the edge of the nose for those awesome landings nose first. Protects the foam and is also my landing gear wire.